Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2009-06-23 Name: Larry Mellott

"Goodman Heatpump"
Had a Goodman 2.5 ton Heat Pump installed last fall by warranty company contractor. System failed last week and tech had 2 replace transformer already!!! Hope this is not an omen!

Date created: 2009-06-22 Name: Jim Carlson

"Run The Other Way - This Is JUNK"
I have owned this piece of garbage for 4 years. The company that installed it is very reputable and to their credit they did tell me at the beginning that they did not have a lot of experience with this brand but felt comfortable enough to recommend it as a low cost alternative based on their warranty. I have regretted buying this unit from day one. Everything was fine, the unit cooled well, the installers left and then....the unit would not shut down! 3 days later and a new circuit board installed, the unit ran fine, technician left, operated properly thru 3 cycles and then....now the main circuit breaker trips. I waited a few minutes & reset the breaker...bam, trips again. Tech came back out...guess what...replacement board defective. This was for openers. I have since had no less than 9 repair calls on this unit. My hvac company has told me that they will not install this brand again and will not even service them unless it was purchased from them. They are also being very generous and crediting 50% of the "labor" bills that I've had to shell out under this so called "warranty" and letting me apply it to a new Carrier. I learned my lesson.

Date created: 2009-06-20 Name: ONO BOB

"Installer/homeowner"
I have installed several of these units and found that most of the problems are pre-exhisting. Not the fault of the new unit. I have only had one Unit that had a bad weld on the reversing valve which I fixed + 16 lbs of freon. on me. The price and the warranty is a seller for me as I live in a very harsh climate on the Gulf. Salt air eats these units alive. 10yr warranty covers it providing you register it on the Goodman web site.

Date created: 2009-06-12 Name: M. Schmitt

"Goodman / Airflo combo 'mis-matched' system"
We accepted a bid for a completely new Airflo (made by Lennox) heat pump set up, duct work and all, completely new. Our immoral scam artist installer actually installed a Goodman air handler in the basement and an Airflo heat pump outside. Mixing the two brands which immediately voided our warranty from day one. Yep, you guessed it, we have had problems and neither company will pay for repairs. We have been out repair cost and been told that our systems life is greatly reduced because it is working together with another brand that it is not disigned to be working with, Heat pumps are very sensitive, not at all like regular electric furnace/ac units. Anyway, we were not this installer's first victims, there are many. Lennox will no longer sell to him but Goodman will. I will never buy a Goodman product because they will let anyone purchase and install their product. At least Lennox shut him down.

Date created: 2009-06-09 Name: Todd Harris

"Goodman Junk"
System needed three compressors in two years. The first year labor was free. The other times it cost me $600-$800 for labor and materials, but the compressor was no charge. Service tech said a bad valve caused the problem. Took three weeks to get the new valve because Goodman did not have it in stock. Stand clear of this junk.

Date created: 2009-06-03 Name: R. Dixon

"DIYer considering Heat Pump install"
The Coleman brand packaged heat pump currently owned has had the compressor short out, unit is in excess of 25 years old, some of the ductwork was not sized correctly. Unit is a packaged 5 ton with auxilary heat strips. Have 3 quotes from hvac contractors for Rheem, York and Lenox. Any helpful advice to go with a self-install Amana/Goodman versus the very expensive contractor quotes?

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: B. Kendrick
Location: Coastal Florida

"A Good Nine Years"
It's a 5 Ton heat pump unit (12 seer) that functioned without needing repairs for right at nine years. It has has developed a slow (tiny) coil leak, burned the compressor contacts, begun to occasionally rattle loudly in the condenser (outside unit), and shows extreme oxidation of the aluminum vanes on the condenser (they are falling off in small chunks by the handful), which should be no surprise in coastal Florida. Air handler and heating strip (inside portion) are still working well despite being improperly installed (just found out the main ducts are too small).

Date created: 2009-05-15 Name: Cindy

"Goodman Lemon"
We had this unit installed after Hurricane Charley. We started having problems within 5 months. First they replaced the 'out of balance' motor and at 2 yrs and 10 days, we developed a freon leak. The original installer gave us an estimate of $900 to fix it because his 2 yr warranty for labor expired...but the parts would be covered. hello?! We paid $3700 for the unit! We hired someone else to repair it...$400. a freon leak because of copper tubing rubbing from vibrations. We were assured it was fixed. Now a year 1/2 later, guess what! We had another freon leak from copper tubing rubbing...just in a different spot...another $400! Goodman offered to reimburse me $175 for my troubles. seriously!!! I want a new heat pump that isn't a lemon!

Date created: 2009-05-15 Name: J. Washington

"Mrs"
We have 2 Goodman units that were installed in a brand new house 1 year ago and they are a piece of junk. The first time we turned them on this Spring,both units had leaked over the winter months and there was not a drop of refrigerant in the units. The valves installed in the units were not back seeded a quarter turn which caused the problem. I would not recommend Goodman units at all.

Date created: 2009-05-13 Name: Bob

"Goodman Review"
I had a Goodman Air conditioner for 22 years with no problems. I replaced it with a 14 seer heat pump to supplement my oil heat. It has worked out very well this winter. I don't have enough elecrtic service to install a heat coil so I only used it when temperature was over 30. I saved several hundred dollars in hrating bills,