Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-08 Name: Douglas Flood

"Homeowner"
Nothing but failures with my 3 1/2 ton heat pump. The outside coil leaked within the first year, and was replaced. 2 1/2 years, the inside coil leaked, and was replaced. Two days later, the reversing valve leaked, and was replaced. What next? All of the replacements took time, and as the unit was only using the electric coils, my heating bills skyrocketed during the down time. I would not recommend the Goodman heat pump.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: K. Rose

"Stay away from these things!"
I got a completely new heat pump system last spring and was happy with the AC through the summer. Once I turned on the heat, however, I have had one disaster after another. I am waiting for a return call from the installer now, and this will be the 4th time he has had to work on the unit since April (9 months ago). The noise is unbelievable with the heat (though not with the AC) and downstairs in my house sounds like an idling city bus 24/7. The outside unit is so loud that I have had a neighbor complain. If I raise the heat temperature more than 2 degrees, the auxiliary heat comes on and stays on for hours, costing me a fortune. What a piece of junk!!!

Date created: 2010-01-01 Name: Alvin Eubanks

"Goodman"
I have had this unit for 3 weeks. It is a package heat pump unit. I had a Trane dual fuel before. This unit is very noisy and it seems like it runs all of the time and my home is never warm like it used to be. I am really disappointed.

Date created: 2009-12-30 Name: Peggy Morrison

"Goodman Heat Pump"
I will never buy a Goodman product again. It keeps burning up. Meter on the product shows current problems. They can't keep it running and it's costing us big bucks to fix it so it will run another 2 days or if we get real lucky, 6 months.

Date created: 2009-12-29 Name: Dave E
Location: Canada

"Back again after 6 weeks"
We removed both the oil furnace and oil fired hot water replacing it with the heat pump and electric hot water. Our first bill went up 43$ and out second just arrived at $102 higher. Interestingly though, I didn't have to pay $1800 to replace the oil tank (law here in Canada) and my $3000 yearly oil bill has disappeared along with the rental on the hot water heater of $15.27 per month. Or temps are averaging -4 to -7 and the heat in our house is very equal. Have 3 neighbors who have ordered heat pumps so far! This must be the way to go!

Date created: 2009-12-27 Name: A. Larrazabal
Location: Northern VA

"Al Larra"
We purchase our home a little over 5 years ago. We wanted to upgrade the HVAC system and the builder said no. We got a Goodman (10 seer). The worth of the worth. We have had a maintenance contract, the system failed to work two weeks ago, right when we were hit by 18" of snow in Northern VA. It needed parts including the compressor for $4,850.00. Of course, the warranty expired at the 5 year mark. I had to invest on a brand new system "American Standard" (Trane) 16 seer. The quality of the unit is noticeable just by looking at the system package. Do not recommend Builder's quality Goodman HVAC. I won't purchase a home from the builder we bought ever again.

Date created: 2009-12-24 Name: Rick M.

"Hello Goodman"
The Goodman 3 ton heat pump was installed when we built our home. It is now 15+ years of age. We have not experienced one outage during this period until now. The unit has more than done its job. We have just had a service company check out coolant leakage. Rather than repair, they have quoted a Lennox system that appears to be at least $2k more installed than a new Goodman. Can you say hello Goodman?

Date created: 2009-12-22 Name: R Hawkins

"Dont buy goodman"
Replaced complete unit 3 years ago and seemed to have at least one problem a year if not more. I have two other old units and never had any problem with them. I would never consider another Goodman unless it was free with free installation and free labor and parts for 10 years.

Date created: 2009-12-13 Name: Ryan

"Maintenance"
Goodman makes good equipment. My heat pump has a Copeland compressor and some Honeywell controls. Goodman makes their equipment accessible to anyone, therefore they get bad raps from poor installs! I recommend to anyone who's having an equipment installed to do some footwork and check out just who it is you're letting into your home before they get there.

Date created: 2009-12-13 Name: J. Lyons

"Goodman Heat Pump"
We had two cooling failures during the first year. The first time was when the outside temperature reached 118 degrees! We had to pay $190 for "emergency" service call because we called at 6pm on a Friday. Nobody bothered to tell us that the service call would've been free had we been able to wait until Saturday. A hard start kit was then added & the technician told us this should have been put on when the unit was installed. The second call prompted replacement of all capacitors. Now, we've been without heat for almost a week. Fortunately, we recently purchased a decorative electric fireplace which has now become our main heat source. Good thing we don't live in subzero climate! For this, we had the privilege to pay $4,000 (for heat pump only)! I'm sure the profit margin on this unit was the reason HVAC company was pushing it. Their website says they sell Lennox equipment, but they sure didn't offer it to us.