Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425262728Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: T. Barnette
Location: Moncks Corner, SC

"Don't waste your money!"
We have a two-ton and four-ton Goodman unit that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. We built 5 years ago and have had numerous repairs performed. While some factory defects covered the cost of parts, labor was not a part of the deal. We constantly have to charge the units with freeon. Our electric bills are sky high and I hate to think that of the thousands of dollars we payed to purchase and install the units. They have been a nightmare since we've had them. Simply junk!

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: Bill M.
Location: Hoodville

"Is your unit failing...Read this"
Ok, so Ive been reading and reading till im blue in the face about all these compressor failures. I would bet money that INSTALLER did not install a hard start kit as per required by compressor manufacture and its in the user install guide for the unit. But you the home owner would never know this. The hard start kit is necessary for any system that has a TXV valve installed. Furthermore with out the hard start kit added (by the way it does not come with the unit ask goodman why I have no clue) the compressor will fail prematurely. Then you replace it and bam the next one goes out. Id guess that your probably be luck to get 2 years out of the compressor. The reversing vale I can not comment on as I have not ran into one yet that has a bad one. In addition, the unit only is pre-chraged for 15 FT of line set. And its not recommend to reuse existing line set on R410A system, NEW line set should be ran, and any good company should replace the disconnect box, and power whip (that feeds the unit power) Also, there is a metering piston that comes with each unit that unique for the cased coil. If this is not used again you will have equipment failure. In 10 years Ive only seen 1 heat pump unit fail. Only because the home owner chose to install it on an old coil, and did a botched job. Drier blocked, replaced drier unit runs fine. I think in allot of the cases it more the installer. Granted they did have a problem with the evaporators but I really feel the majority of these system failures are to be blamed on the installer. Not the equipment company. I guess you just have to weight what you've know vs. what you read. As in all these cases one will never know how or if the equipment was installed correctly. Any job blow can hook one of these up. Hooking it up and setting it up properly is the key. I would be very curious in all the failure cases that if no hard start kit was installed on the initial install, then personally you should legal and or some recourse on the company that installed it. I dont care who makes the brand scorll / txv system need a hard start kit on it or the compressor will fail. It caused the motor winding to wear out due to a pressure equalization problem, and without the hard start kit, the compressor basically burns it self out because it can not get the require start voltage which in turn is torque to properly start the compressor. Im not defending goodman, Im just stating facts that are lacking on here from the end user, in which they would have no clue about.

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: Theresa Stocks
Location: Wade, NC

"Unsatisfied customer"
We built our home three years ago. The contractor uses a company that installed a Goodman. We have had them come out 3 times for the air conditioning, wasn't cooling the fan just ran continuiosly, and we had freion leak with the copper tubing.This has been every summer. Now this winter the heat unit would not get the temp in the house but up to 66, the fan is continuosly ruuning. We had the company come out and the service man said the unit is just working hard because it has been in the 20's for several days. Now when I put the temp to 68 it doesn't cyle to shut off just runs continuosly but the temp gets to 68 in the house. This was the 4 service call in 3 years. I wish I would of read the reviews before we built the home. I believe I would of spent the money on a Train.

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: j menard
Location: milton fl

"Can't afford the electric bill with the pump"
Pump runs all the time and it still stays very cold in the house. Installer came to check it out and said it as fine. Huge electric bill with a cold house. When it first starts up cold air comes out then almost nothing. Looking for a new place cause thank god I'm a renter and not going to pay for heat I don't get. I have a disabled son who has had to stay in bed for three days now cause it's so cold in here.

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: robert barnes
Location: missouir

"Goodman unit is great"
I recently put in a goodman 3 ton 16seer heat pump and new a/coil. i purchased it off ebay and i did all the grunt work. when i had evrything in place i called an installer. he did all the soldering and startup everything went perfectly. in cold wx of dec. our el. bill went up 60.00 we were using propane before. this unit runs so quit we dont know when its on except when it goes to defrost and i guess they are all noisy then. i would gladly purchase again very good unit.

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: D .Hucks
Location: South carolina

"HORRIBlE"
Goodmans are nothing but problems no matter how good of a deal you think you are getting they do not last and you WILL have to replace it. I think the company needs to stop making them. You should take your money and flush it down the toliet if you are willing to buy a goodman

Date created: 2011-01-11 Name: ebbennett
Location: Rock Hill, SC

"Home owner"
I just wrote a review on my goodman heat pump on 1/6/11. In addition to what I wrote a few days ago I would like to add that the outside unit is completely dead today 1/11/11. In the last six months it has cost me $1,533.00 in repair cost and the unit is still under warranty. There will likely be additional costs when they come out to fix this AGAIN tomorrow. I can't imagine it getting much worse.

Date created: 2011-01-09 Name: P. Gale
Location: tulsa, OK

"Non-stop problems"
I've had a Goodman heat pump for a year and it had so many defects that it had to be replaced in the first three months. The service reps were inept, inconsistent, broke many promises and made many excuses for their shortcomings. I've never had so many problems with a company. Goodman did redeem themselves when they replaced the unit and admitted that the problem was a defective part. Now, however, the unit is still noisy, blows cold air rather than warm and shifts to a very expensive emergency back-up heat when the temperature drops below freezing. Larry, my contractor in Tulsa, uses this unit in all of his houses and also consistently employs a very unprofessional team to install them. Avoid Goodman heat pumps. They are an extreme disappointment, which is only compounded by the service team that is used to supposedly install them correctly.

Date created: 2011-01-09 Name: tina mcleod

"Goodman Packaged Unit"
Packaged unit purchased/installed in summer of 2008. The installer had to come out a few weeks after installation to repair something (can't remember now), however,I had to pay him. Shortly after that, he had to make another visit out, part was under warranty and I had to pay him. Third time, A/C stopped working, he came out again, the part was under warranty, but I had to pay him. Last month, heat stopped working, he came out, charged me again and said the part was not under warranty. Now, two weeks after he came in December, it is 2011, and I have no heat. He came out, said it was not getting enough electricity from breaker outside, My light company came out, not their problem. My heating guy called an electrician,and he came and replaced the breaker outside which he stated had blown and due to the breaker not being good, that is why a transformer blew in the heating unit (charged $160.00). So, heater man came back out said the breaker caused the compressor to go bad. Now, I am upset because I do not believe that a heating unit should have this many problems with it being two years old? Did the breaker cause the compressor to go bad or did the compressor go bad and cause the breaker to stop?

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: Russo
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"What's resonable & Fair"
Interesting to read several SC reviews from both a contractors and consumers perspective. Wish I would have known Smith a few years ago. I had a Carrier system for 23 years and it cost me less than this Goodman 3.5 ton SEER 13 system in the last three years. Christmas day it nearly quit heating. Contractor came out and added several lbs of freon. Next week, leak test revealed bad evaporator coil. But going back thru service slips, this problem has been persistent from day one. Out of the box, this unit has leaked freon. I've been clear I'm not happy and asked that Goodman know this part did not go bad on Christmas day but bad out of the box and some accommodation should be made to dealer and consumer. I understand this is industry standard. I like Smith's recommendation to invest in higher SEER and invest in the extended warranty. Sounds like this unit will be replaced in the near future and will consider this advice but the replacement will not be a Goodman. As referenced, I've paid for the service calls, freon and now will have to pay for labor and 10 lbs of freon to replace the coil. This sucks. And contractor has no recourse with Goodman who apparently is inflexible in these situations.

<< Previous910111213141516171819202122232425262728Next >>