Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

<< Previous678910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-08 Name: Russo
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"What's resonable & Fair"
Interesting to read several SC reviews from both a contractors and consumers perspective. Wish I would have known Smith a few years ago. I had a Carrier system for 23 years and it cost me less than this Goodman 3.5 ton SEER 13 system in the last three years. Christmas day it nearly quit heating. Contractor came out and added several lbs of freon. Next week, leak test revealed bad evaporator coil. But going back thru service slips, this problem has been persistent from day one. Out of the box, this unit has leaked freon. I've been clear I'm not happy and asked that Goodman know this part did not go bad on Christmas day but bad out of the box and some accommodation should be made to dealer and consumer. I understand this is industry standard. I like Smith's recommendation to invest in higher SEER and invest in the extended warranty. Sounds like this unit will be replaced in the near future and will consider this advice but the replacement will not be a Goodman. As referenced, I've paid for the service calls, freon and now will have to pay for labor and 10 lbs of freon to replace the coil. This sucks. And contractor has no recourse with Goodman who apparently is inflexible in these situations.

Date created: 2011-01-07 Name: J Oliver
Location: Sandston, Va

"Unsatisfied"
I had two Goodman units installed 18 months ago. One of them has worked like a champ, the other one was never right and probably cost me an extra $600-800 in heating bills. My HVAC company finally replaced the unit when I started having the same problems this winter, but the replacement unit is louder than an old diesel engine. I would not recommend buying these units

Date created: 2011-01-06 Name: C. B.
Location: Lubbock, TX

"Goodman Equipment"
I am an HVAC contractor in Texas. I have installed a Goodman system in my own home and a few others including my mother's home (all 16 SEER). My mother's electric bills have decreased by 40 to 50% in the summer and the heat pump runs very efficiently in the winter. My house has a 95% var. speed gas furnace heating my 2200 sq. ft. with the higest has bill yet of $115, no joke. Each of the systems that I've installed have been very quiet and efficient. Some say that Goodman is cheap. ? huh, there are several brands that cost less. In my opinion...Equipment failure is 90% installer related and 10% of the time you may have a bad eqq. They are man made you know. Many people think that HVAC is plain and simple; get a big one, connect it, and turn it on. People (including licensed contractors) do it all the time. They often know NOTHING about controls, heat transfer or airflow. All factory condensers come pre-charged and 99% of installers assume the charge is correct for the equipment. wrong. Each system must be run tested and verified technically during operation. Yea, I'm VERY happy with my Goodman system - Probably because I know it is installed correctly and the energy savings are significant.

Date created: 2011-01-06 Name: ebbennett
Location: Rock Hill, SC

"Bad news"
My heat pump is three years old and has needed the coil, compressor and two small electrical components replaced. Unfortunatly the repair bills have not been small. I just had the third freon leak fixed and now the fan motor is noisey. The defrost setting was wrong from the factory too. This is the worst piece of heating / cooling equipment I've ever owned.

Date created: 2011-01-05 Name: edward l shouse jr
Location: 1168 lone oak road ,grovetown,ga

"15 seer heatpump"
We have had nothing but problems with this unitan we are very dissafied with this unit always breaking down i would not reccommend buy any type unit from goodman untill they get there issues resolved!

Date created: 2010-12-28 Name: b abrams
Location: Beaufort, SC

"Help"
Our unit just went out 5yrs and 3 days and of course it is not covered with a warrenty anymore. We have had several problems with it over the last 5 years and had to replace the condenser over the summer and now it is shot. What a sad company

Date created: 2010-12-22 Name: B. Morrow
Location: Sharpsville, IN

"Heat Pump dead and needs replaced."
We have had a horrible experience with the Goodman Heat pump. We built our house 4 years ago and installed a 3 ton heat pump with electric backup. After 1 year and 1 month the compressor went out (just after the 1 year warranty). Now 3 years later the reversing valve has a hole in it and we have lost all the Freon in the system. Since the system ran empty the compressor is locked up again and needs replaced. we have also had to replace the defrost circuit board. I am not sure if the problem is with Goodman so much as heat pumps in general. Seems to me all the suppliers have the same problems.

Date created: 2010-12-22 Name: Smith
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"Mechanical Contractor"
I am a mechanical contractor. I now refuse to install Goodman equipment. This decision seems to have cost me a lot of business from the customers chasing the lowest price. The good news is that I'm losing a lot less money on warranty repairs and I have happier customers. The Goodman systems that I have installed have had a high failure rate with evaporator coil and reversing valve leaks. The reversing valves were defective and they have an upgraded valve but this doesn't help me or the customer pay for a $500 - $700 "warranty" repair. The leaking evaporator solution is an all aluminum coil. I hope this solves their problem. The customer or my company are still paying for a $400 to $700 "warranty" repair. Goodman sells their equipment to anyone and everyone. You don't have to be licensed or factory trained. This enables many unlicensed mechanics to sell this brand because they simply can't purchase a name brand that requires a license, dealership and factory training. This makes Goodman one of the least expensive system to install. Installers that can only purchase Goodman equipment tell you that it is "just as good as all the other brands" and has a great warranty. You will also be told that all brands use the same parts. This is somewhat true. Goodman does use the same compressors and some electrical parts as some other brands. The coils, fan blades and cabinets are built very poor. The Goodman systems have some the worst airflow ratings at .5"WC duct static pressure. Basically this means that if your ductwork isn't great then the system won't deliver the required airflow. Also Goodman systems lack the devices that protect the compressor. These parts include a compressor sump heater, compressor start assist, thermal expansion valves, demand defrost boards, discharge temperature sensors and blowers rated for high duct static pressure. I've heard from many Goodman installers that these are "just more things to break". The Goodman warranty provides parts only. Not included is the service call, labor, refrigerant, warranty part pickup, the use of nitrogen and torch gases and any other things. A cheap system under warranty that breaks frequently becomes very expensive. The Goodman extended warranty is very inexpensive to purchase. The extended warranty claims that I have filed paid me about half of what other warranties pay me. I don't perform Goodman extended warranty work anymore unless I sold it. I get a lot of business from customers who tell me that the installer wont service the equipment. These installers make their money on fast installations but don't want the aggravation of keeping the system running for 10 years. After multiple repairs on inferior equipment that is poorly installed sometimes I become the bad guy. I recommend choosing a licensed contractor that you trust and installing a durable brand even if you can only afford a lower SEER system. Buying an extended warranty is almost always worth the money especially on a high SEER system. Extened warranties protect the installer and the customer. I am not trying to start an arguement with anyone. This is just my opinion. I won't respond to anyone who agrees or disagrees.

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: edward l shouse jr
Location: grovetown georgia

"Gph1548m41aa"
Had nothing but problems with thi heat pup made by goodman manufacturing,first the unit frezes uo on pipe inside unit ,had to de replaced, next the defrosting chip inside in unit went bad, next the unit lost 2 pounds of410 freon tryed talking to them but no responce guess im going to have to sue the company for placeing pad products to their distributers not a happy camper all people i would advise to say away from that company!

Date created: 2010-12-20 Name: james vallely
Location: OWENS CROSS RD AL.

"PACKAGED UNIT GPH1543M41A"
If you purchase agoodman on line and it starts to leak in the evaporator coil you cant find anyone to tell you what the part no is or were to buy one. Great to protect dealers but give old people on limited income some small assistance or count on them buying from someone elsepurchased aGPH1542M41 WHICH LEAKED 2 LBS IN 5 MOS.

<< Previous678910111213141516171819202122232425Next >>