Consumer Reviews of GOODMAN heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about GOODMAN heat pumps

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: T.Randall

"BAD-MAN"
I've had lots of repairs on my 2-ton Goodman too, but even when it operates fine, it's NOISY. Honestly, even my neighbor asked if something was wrong with it. It wakes me up at night.

Date created: 2011-01-25 Name: C Warren
Location: Northern, VA

"RAHomes use Goodman"
Watched our neighbor's Goodman heat pump receive a major repair on (you guessed it) a scroll compressor. Two HVAC repairmen took 2.5 to 3 hrs to remove the old compressor (which is less than 3-yrs old), then install a brand new Copeland scroll compressor, plus recharge it with INEOS Fluor. My guess is $100 per hr for the HVAC guys or approximately $300 plus $100 probably for first visit. In our former home, we had a Trane heat pump installed with no issues in the 10+ years there.

Date created: 2011-01-25 Name: L. Ellegood
Location: Keystone Heights, Fl.

"Compressor Defective"
We bought this unit for our home less than two years ago. It hasn't worked right for over a year. The service technician told us to close the registers in our back rooms to keep the rest of the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It didn't work. Now that the warranty is out on labor, so is the compressor and we were told it was probably defective to begin with! I am ready to junk the whole system.

Date created: 2011-01-25 Name: T. Combs
Location: Statesville, NC

"TERRIBLE"
Contractor put in Goodman unit in my new home. I've been there for less than 18 months and have had several issues. Reverse valve stuck in spring = no a/c for a week. Now winter hit and guess what reverse valve needed replacement, compressor went out, coils replaced and still NO HEAT! I've been running emergency heat for 27 days and counting. So upset/mad I really can't see straight! Thinking about going to court...

Date created: 2011-01-22 Name: wmiller
Location: levittown, pa

Circuit board replaced & reversing valve is stuck. Im running emergency heat$$$$$

Date created: 2011-01-20 Name: Confused by reviews
Location: Midlands of SC

"Confused by reviews"
I bought a Goodman heat pump 9 years 1 month ago. It's worked OK, but it was noisy. Today, the unit was diagnosed with a bad compressor. Have to get it replaced. Luckily, I bought extended warranty (replaces compressor and pays for $400 in labor). Considering getting new complete unit since air exchanger is close to 20 yrs old, and was looking at Goodman reviews. This scares me! My installer says that Goodman (some connection to Amana - I called the company) is a good company and has a bad rep. Now I know why.

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: sharon holt
Location: goodlettsville tn

"New system is horrible!"
We purchased a new 5 ton efficiency rated government rebate quilifying hvac in april of 2010. Nothing but problems, leaks freon, our electric bill went up over 25% first month during the ac weather, electric bill went up 50% winter months. Needs to be named BADMAN instead of Goodman.

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: T.J. Groh
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"50/50 split"
I built a large house in spring of 2009 and wanted to have zone heating and cooling so the contractor stated the best approach was to have two independent HVAC systems. Since the additional cost was an issue, the builder recommended Goodman. The the overall cost per unit installed was about 3300, almost half of a similar Trane unit install would have cost. So I agtreed and the builder installed two 3-ton Goodman 16 SER heat pump units with LP gas furnace. both units works fine through 2009 and through the fall of 2010. When it came time to use the heat one of the heat pumps did not function but I was able to use the gas furnace. I called the AC guy who orginally installed the units for the builder. Right up front he told me there is a good chance that the valves are bad and/or the freon is gone due to a leak. He had similar problems with other older installs. Well last week all was repaired and the cost which was all labor was about 500 dollars (included inspection of the other unit), parts replaced were under warranty. Before he left, he jokingly stated I'll see you in the fall for the other unit repairs.. Lets pray not!!

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: T. Barnette
Location: Moncks Corner, SC

"Don't waste your money!"
We have a two-ton and four-ton Goodman unit that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. We built 5 years ago and have had numerous repairs performed. While some factory defects covered the cost of parts, labor was not a part of the deal. We constantly have to charge the units with freeon. Our electric bills are sky high and I hate to think that of the thousands of dollars we payed to purchase and install the units. They have been a nightmare since we've had them. Simply junk!

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: Bill M.
Location: Hoodville

"Is your unit failing...Read this"
Ok, so Ive been reading and reading till im blue in the face about all these compressor failures. I would bet money that INSTALLER did not install a hard start kit as per required by compressor manufacture and its in the user install guide for the unit. But you the home owner would never know this. The hard start kit is necessary for any system that has a TXV valve installed. Furthermore with out the hard start kit added (by the way it does not come with the unit ask goodman why I have no clue) the compressor will fail prematurely. Then you replace it and bam the next one goes out. Id guess that your probably be luck to get 2 years out of the compressor. The reversing vale I can not comment on as I have not ran into one yet that has a bad one. In addition, the unit only is pre-chraged for 15 FT of line set. And its not recommend to reuse existing line set on R410A system, NEW line set should be ran, and any good company should replace the disconnect box, and power whip (that feeds the unit power) Also, there is a metering piston that comes with each unit that unique for the cased coil. If this is not used again you will have equipment failure. In 10 years Ive only seen 1 heat pump unit fail. Only because the home owner chose to install it on an old coil, and did a botched job. Drier blocked, replaced drier unit runs fine. I think in allot of the cases it more the installer. Granted they did have a problem with the evaporators but I really feel the majority of these system failures are to be blamed on the installer. Not the equipment company. I guess you just have to weight what you've know vs. what you read. As in all these cases one will never know how or if the equipment was installed correctly. Any job blow can hook one of these up. Hooking it up and setting it up properly is the key. I would be very curious in all the failure cases that if no hard start kit was installed on the initial install, then personally you should legal and or some recourse on the company that installed it. I dont care who makes the brand scorll / txv system need a hard start kit on it or the compressor will fail. It caused the motor winding to wear out due to a pressure equalization problem, and without the hard start kit, the compressor basically burns it self out because it can not get the require start voltage which in turn is torque to properly start the compressor. Im not defending goodman, Im just stating facts that are lacking on here from the end user, in which they would have no clue about.

<< Previous4567891011121314151617181920212223Next >>