Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2008-08-02 Name: J. Spaulding
Location: Roanoke, VA

"Very Positive Experience."
Had contactor replace my old system with a new Gibson variable speed split system heat pump. The new Gibson system is much quieter than the one it replaced. We have been very pleased at how quickly it cools down our living area. Best value I have found in a heating and cooling unit

Date created: 2008-06-25 Name: Don Fore
Location: Mt. Airy, NC

"Heating and Air Conditioning Contractor"
A customer/and friend of mine had a Gibson Split Heat pump installed about 4 years ago, the contractor replaced just the outdoor unit with a Gibson Model jt3ba-060ka outdoor unit. The outdoor unit is so noisy that they can't set on their patio, and the neighbors are complaining. They pointed this out to the contractor, he has tried several things, wrapping the compressor, no luck. I myself have been by there, you can hear it from the street. Any suggestion?

Date created: 2008-04-15 Name: L Hope
Location: Knoxville, TN

Unit installed but every change of season I have to have a tech come out and switch from cool to heat and from heat to cool. Will never purchase a Gibson heat pump.

Date created: 2008-03-10 Name: J. B.
Location: Tennessee

Came with new house. 5-Ton Dual Stage Heat Pump. At year 3 freon went out and compressor was shot. Replaced compressor, found leak and repaired that. Two lines had rubbed together and caused leak. A month later the freon was out again. This time the technician replaced the coils. The other night (and a year past the first problems) we woke up to the smell of burning plastic. The smell was coming through the vents blowing cold air instead of warm air. Shut off the system and called the technician who came out after we had two nights of freezing weather. Freon was out again, lines had rubbed together in a different area and caused leak. Can you say horrible engineering of the insides where this continues to happen???? Also, the electronic board has malfunctioned and needs to be replace (will take 3 days for that board to come in). Currently have entire system shut down and am wearing coats in the house to stay warm. Estimates on new systems coming soon.....

Date created: 2008-01-16 Name: D. CALLAHAN
Location: KUTTAWA , KENTUCKY

I HAVE HAD 3 1/2 TON GIBSON HEATPUMP IN A NEW CONSTRUCTION FOR 7 YEARS AND HAVE HAD A PROBLEM OR TWO EVERY YEAR. I REPLACED THE COIL,TWO ELECTRICAL BOARDS AND MANY LEAKS.THE COMPANY 5 YEAR WARRANTY IS UP AND ALL THEY SAID IS IT'S YOUR PROBLEM NOW. THE UNIT IS BROKEN AS I WRITE JAN. 16 08.

Date created: 2008-01-03 Name: J. Schuck
Location: Tennessee

"Known to be the worst possible heat pump."
Brand new house, the contractor installed this brand... I've since learned this is widely known to be the worst possible heat pump... It has burnt up and had to be repaired 3 times in 2 years. Now it needs repair again and it will cost over $2000 this time.

Date created: 2007-05-18 Name: jake
Location: Hudson, NC

"Has worked very good so far."
Has worked very good so far for the exception of a burnt up fan motor a good product

Date created: 2007-02-08 Name: Harned

"The Gibson unit is a lemon."
The Gibson unit is a lemon. Purchased a new house with this unit. Contractors have been out on numerous occasions and still have not fixed it. Goes into defrost in the winter and keeps blowing only cold air into the house. Nice when it is 30 degrees outside and you get air conditioning instead of HEAT......reverse broke, coils leaked....etc. Piece of junk.

Date created: 2006-08-13 Years owned: 4

Water is running down the fins and end frames of the A-coil, missing the drip pan and then down onto the breakers... water has flooded the floor twice in 2 years. After multiple service calls in 2 years we are replacing this unit with a real "name brand" unit. Could not get service for the unit when we called on Gibson. I will NEVER recomend or use Gibson again, much less purchase a home with one of these units in it again.

Date created: 2006-06-26 Years owned: 1

I have needed a new heat pump for years and have tried to save up enough for our local company [which was servicing the old one 2 times a year] put one in. BUT I am raising 2 grandchildren ages 7 and 8. One of them is a special needs child plus I have a 30 year old special needs daughter. It was impossible to save enough so the technician from that company offered to put in a brand new heat pump for about half the price. Well that was May, 2005. Since then the technician has disapeared and I have spent almost 2500.00 in repairs. The reversing valve went bad. Then the compressor burnt up. Then it had a freeon leak. Then the unit needed to be "dried" out. I have been told by 4 different people that the unit is a "lemon" and probably won't last much longer. Then I will be without heat or air conditioning!! Thought you should know what one of your customers has been through. And with not being able to get it put in by the company I have no warrenty. A very hard lesson learned !!!!