Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2009-07-15 Name: new home owner

"2.5Ton R410 2 stage 16 Seer"
Very reliable unit. I know several people with high end homes that own this unit and have not had one problem. OUr builder also has this unit in his house. Many problems are because of poor installation. Techs see the brand and think they can just slap it together with out quality workmanship. All ac brands have generally the same parts. Exceptional Installation and Warranty ( ours has 5 years) are what you should shop around for.

Date created: 2009-06-11 Name: J. Jones

"BEWARE NORDYNE PRODUCTS: MAYTAG, FRIDIGAIRE, TAPPAN, WESTINGHOUSE, KELVINATOR, PHILCO, GIBSON."
I'd like to relay my experience with a Nordyne manufactured Westinghouse Heat Pump in hopes that it may save others from experiencing the problems I've had dealing with this company. Several years ago as a part of a home remodeling project we had a Westinghouse heat pump installed to support the two new rooms we were adding to our house. From the beginning the unit gave us problems. Although it was sized larger than the specified size for the areas, it did not adequately cool the rooms. In addition it was loud, VERY loud. The unit is installed up against the back of the house but when it was on, the fan made such a loud metallic noise it could be heard in the front yard at the street, some 50 feet away. In addition, since the coolant lines ran through the walls to the indoor unit, it made a loud humming noise in the walls. You could even feel the vibration if you put your hand up against the wall! We would have to make sure we turned the unit off at night in order to get any sleep. After having the installer, and even the distributor come out to work on it to try to get it fixed, I called a third party service company hoping to get another opinion. At that point the service tech found a coolant leak in the outside coil. I immediately called Nordyne and was told that they would replace the part under warranty but that I was responsible for the cost of installation. Needless to say I was very upset that I should be required to pay several hundred dollars on top of the thousands of dollars I had just spent to have it installed, but Nordyne insisted it was not their reponsibilty. Since it was a small leak, I decided to just have the levels checked each year during the routine maintenance rather than be forced to pay for the manufacture's product defect. Now, five years later the compressor has failed. The warranty states that if the compressor fails within five years that they will replace the entire unit with a new one along with some of the cost of installation, but because we never got a "final" invoice from the installer because of all the problems we had with the installation, and the unit was manufactured the year previous to when we bought it, Nordyne will not honor their commitment to replace it. They will only replace the failed part which means I am again faced with paying several hundred dollars to fix their defective product. The bottom line is Nordyne failed to recognize the difference between a defective product and a warranty issue. They have used every technicality possible to avoid backing up their product and put the burden on me to cover the costs of their poor quality workmanship. I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANY NORDYNE PRODUCT AND ADVISE OTHERS TO THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING SO THEMSELVES.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: Gibson

"Gibson"
Had a gibson heat pump installed 2007.never would keep up with heat or cold.Finally after legal letter sent they decided they installed too little heat pump for my 1200 sq ft brick home.Put in a bigger November 2008.I started the air conditioner may 2009 .Set thermostat on 72,it never got below 77 degrees.I Called the service man that installed it and 10 days later it is still not fixed.I Have called him every day .He just finished telling me he has to order freon to put in it !Very noisy heat pump also .

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: R. Smith

"Couldn't give me Another Gibson Unit"
Terminal block shorted on heat side within 1.5 years of ownership (Fall 2007) and a $300 repair bill (service call + labor on a $7 part) then. Poor mounting design for the main power connection. I replaced a 15year old split system with a packaged system in Oct 2005. 3 weeks ago(spring 2009), reversing valve has gone bad and blower motor pulling too many amps. Bill to be paid this afternoon (can't wait). Nordyne did not have a replacement reversing valve to ship as they are 'having a hard time' with the R410A switchover and are out of R22 parts and do not know when more will be made. FYI: The parts of this unit are / were made in China and the unit assembled in Mexico. Nordyne may give a decent warranty, but getting them to solve a customer's needs at this time is the pits. Luckily, my HVAC guy was persistent until he got to Nordyne's engineers on the phone to spec a universal replacement for the 3 ton unit. The reversing valve started leaking refrigerant at the capillary tubes junction on the valve - cheap copper I reckon. Anyway, my HVAC guy did a great job yesterday re-plumbing the replacement reversing valve. Now I have to eat more labor because of poor quality parts. My Trane unit (old split system) ran for 15 years without one problem...I cleaned the coils myself every year and had the refrigerant checked every 3.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: J SELMAN

"HOME OWNER"
Installed in november 2008. blower fan went out 3 times during the winter. not that we are starting to have warm weather house heats up when kitchen over is used and usually does not cool back down until after we go to bed. I hate to thing what things will be like when the temp goes up to the mid 90's or higher

Date created: 2009-04-26 Name: GIBSON

"Let Down"
As another reviewer,I'm raising two grandchildren.I Needed to economize so I changed from an lp gas Trane furnace and airconditioner to a Gibson electric heat pump. Now I have a system that frosted up this first winter and had to be repaired and now the airconditioning won't work. I've called a technician. I didn't count on installing a system that would put me in more of a financial bind. I think the company should take back the system and return my money.

"Gibson Heat Pumps"
We have installed Gibson heat pumps for years. We have yet to have a single compressor failure. It's been my experience that it's not the equipment, but the installer and/or lack of preventative maintenance that causes most mechanical failures. Check references and call your local supply house to make sure your contractor is dependable.

Location: Danville, VA

"Gibson Heat pump/Ac"
City of Danville,Va had contractor install Brand new Gibson Heatpump and Ac unit in (brick) home. I wish they had left the old boiler in! Cooling bills $900.00, Heating bills almost $850.00 a Month, unit almost runs all the time, can't keep up with house in either season, Gibson "voided" complete Warranty, and it was one of their "Trained" Contractors, worst set-up I have ever seen, White-Rodgers Thermo Sucks too! Unit can't heat house past 62f, while in mid 30's outside, who would want to own a product that the Company themselves, won't back-up! Give me a arco, anyday! I wouldn't scrap this unit, it's not worth the gas money to take it to the scrap yard!!!!!!!!!

"Very Noisy"
Outside unit very noisy when starts. replaced fan motor and capacitor to no avail. when unit starts it wakes my wife and kids. Any Ideas???? Please help!

Date created: 2009-03-03 Name: Mike Barnes
Location: Hopewell, VA

"Owner Michael Barnes HVAC"
I have been installing Gibson units for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of problems I have had with them. no compressors.