Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2009-09-29 Name: B.tribble
Location: Providence, RI

"Gibson heat pump parts"
Cant find a part for my heat pump. the reverse soldnoid.I Live in providence RI.but im happy with the unit.

Date created: 2009-08-09 Name: JD

"Gibson"
I would just like to put my two cents worth in. I sell Gibson products and no I am not going to try and defend them. I know the ins and outs of the product. I have been to the factory in Dyersburg, TN and seen these units assembled by Americans. Yes, they are assembled in the U.S.(Dyersburg, TN - O'Fallon, MO - St. Louis, MO). But just like everything else in the world the most of the parts are made in Mexico or China. What is made 100% by American besides us our self. Just about every a/c uses Copeland compressors, G.E. motors, and self built coils. If you do not believe that then Read up on it. I, personally, think that it all has to do with the installation.(too small of duct,copper lines, and poor seals on the duct work.) There are many many factors for a a/c unit tearing up. Frozen coil, most of the time means low on freon. Yes, repair the leak, or if still under warranty replace the coil. Don't just pay someone to add freon, because, they are going to be back out there again adding freon and there goes another $150- $300 labor. My whole point of the story is to make sure that the Contractor you are getting is certified, and has a good reputation and will size up the job, not just go by rule of thumb. Remember always ask them to do a heat load calculation. If they do not want to do that then I advise you to find someone who will. It may cost you a little more, but, you will not regret. Remember, pay now or pay later.

Date created: 2009-07-31 Name: Paul A. Moeller
Location: Columbia, SC

"Why Gibson lost a customer and what he will tell his friends."
It is July 31st. In Columbia, South Carolina, where I live, the temperature is ninety five degrees. My Gibson heat pump stopped cooling yesterday. The coils were covered in a solid block of ice and I was told that there was a leak and the coil would have to be replaced. Today I was told that the part was not going to be available for four weeks. Four weeks in August in South Carolina. What do you think all of my friends will hear about Gibson from me?

Date created: 2009-07-26 Name: C Stalnaker

"Gibson Heat Pump-3 to 4 years old"
Before my new home was 3 years old some part on the outside unit burned up. 700.00 and some change and we are running for about 8 months. 8 months later out of freon. a place on the outside unit was leaking. 300.00 and some change we are back in business. 6 weeks later out of freon. Need a new coil. Just replaced the coil. 710.00 and back on the cooling. Never buy a Gibson. And watch the a/c dudes if you are a nice person. They will take you if possible!!

Date created: 2009-07-15 Name: new home owner

"2.5Ton R410 2 stage 16 Seer"
Very reliable unit. I know several people with high end homes that own this unit and have not had one problem. OUr builder also has this unit in his house. Many problems are because of poor installation. Techs see the brand and think they can just slap it together with out quality workmanship. All ac brands have generally the same parts. Exceptional Installation and Warranty ( ours has 5 years) are what you should shop around for.

Date created: 2009-06-11 Name: J. Jones

"BEWARE NORDYNE PRODUCTS: MAYTAG, FRIDIGAIRE, TAPPAN, WESTINGHOUSE, KELVINATOR, PHILCO, GIBSON."
I'd like to relay my experience with a Nordyne manufactured Westinghouse Heat Pump in hopes that it may save others from experiencing the problems I've had dealing with this company. Several years ago as a part of a home remodeling project we had a Westinghouse heat pump installed to support the two new rooms we were adding to our house. From the beginning the unit gave us problems. Although it was sized larger than the specified size for the areas, it did not adequately cool the rooms. In addition it was loud, VERY loud. The unit is installed up against the back of the house but when it was on, the fan made such a loud metallic noise it could be heard in the front yard at the street, some 50 feet away. In addition, since the coolant lines ran through the walls to the indoor unit, it made a loud humming noise in the walls. You could even feel the vibration if you put your hand up against the wall! We would have to make sure we turned the unit off at night in order to get any sleep. After having the installer, and even the distributor come out to work on it to try to get it fixed, I called a third party service company hoping to get another opinion. At that point the service tech found a coolant leak in the outside coil. I immediately called Nordyne and was told that they would replace the part under warranty but that I was responsible for the cost of installation. Needless to say I was very upset that I should be required to pay several hundred dollars on top of the thousands of dollars I had just spent to have it installed, but Nordyne insisted it was not their responsibility. Since it was a small leak, I decided to just have the levels checked each year during the routine maintenance rather than be forced to pay for the manufacture's product defect. Now, five years later the compressor has failed. The warranty states that if the compressor fails within five years that they will replace the entire unit with a new one along with some of the cost of installation, but because we never got a "final" invoice from the installer because of all the problems we had with the installation, and the unit was manufactured the year previous to when we bought it, Nordyne will not honor their commitment to replace it. They will only replace the failed part which means I am again faced with paying several hundred dollars to fix their defective product. The bottom line is Nordyne failed to recognize the difference between a defective product and a warranty issue. They have used every technicality possible to avoid backing up their product and put the burden on me to cover the costs of their poor quality workmanship. I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANY NORDYNE PRODUCT AND ADVISE OTHERS TO THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING SO THEMSELVES.

Date created: 2009-05-27 Name: Gibson

"Gibson"
Had a Gibson heat pump installed in 2007, never would keep up with heat or cold. Finally after legal letter sent they decided they installed too little heat pump for my 1200 sq ft brick home. Put in a bigger November 2008. I started the air conditioner may 2009. Set thermostat on 72, it never got below 77 degrees. I Called the service man that installed it and 10 days later it is still not fixed. I have called him every day. He just finished telling me he has to order freon to put in it! Very noisy heat pump also .

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: R. Smith

"Couldn't give me Another Gibson Unit"
Terminal block shorted on heat side within 1.5 years of ownership (Fall 2007) and a $300 repair bill (service call + labor on a $7 part) then. Poor mounting design for the main power connection. I replaced a 15year old split system with a packaged system in Oct 2005. 3 weeks ago(spring 2009), reversing valve has gone bad and blower motor pulling too many amps. Bill to be paid this afternoon (can't wait). Nordyne did not have a replacement reversing valve to ship as they are 'having a hard time' with the R410A switchover and are out of R22 parts and do not know when more will be made. FYI: The parts of this unit are / were made in China and the unit assembled in Mexico. Nordyne may give a decent warranty, but getting them to solve a customer's needs at this time is the pits. Luckily, my HVAC guy was persistent until he got to Nordyne's engineers on the phone to spec a universal replacement for the 3 ton unit. The reversing valve started leaking refrigerant at the capillary tubes junction on the valve - cheap copper I reckon. Anyway, my HVAC guy did a great job yesterday re-plumbing the replacement reversing valve. Now I have to eat more labor because of poor quality parts. My Trane unit (old split system) ran for 15 years without one problem...I cleaned the coils myself every year and had the refrigerant checked every 3.

Date created: 2009-05-07 Name: J SELMAN

"HOME OWNER"
Installed in november 2008. blower fan went out 3 times during the winter. not that we are starting to have warm weather house heats up when kitchen over is used and usually does not cool back down until after we go to bed. I hate to thing what things will be like when the temp goes up to the mid 90's or higher

Date created: 2009-04-26 Name: GIBSON

"Let Down"
As another reviewer,I'm raising two grandchildren.I Needed to economize so I changed from an lp gas Trane furnace and airconditioner to a Gibson electric heat pump. Now I have a system that frosted up this first winter and had to be repaired and now the airconditioning won't work. I've called a technician. I didn't count on installing a system that would put me in more of a financial bind. I think the company should take back the system and return my money.