Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2010-03-21 Name: Mike Kraus

"Noisy Heat Pump"
Have yet to have a service call with the Gibson heat pump. Biggest complaint is that it is so noisy. You cannot carry on a conversation in the general vicinity of the compressor unit because of the noise. The noise in the guest bedroom next to the compressor certainly limits the number of days guests are willing to stay!!!!

Date created: 2010-03-04 Name: Robert Bird

"BAD HEAT PUMPS"
It was installed in summer 2007. House was vacant for 1 1/2 years. Now the valve in compresser is stuck.
Date created: 2010-02-18 Name: K. Ander
Location: Central Texas

"Can't deal with the cold"
Just had heat pump installed to replace a 10 year old model that died. This unit stops providing heat when the temp falls below 30 degrees. Thankfully my home has '92 Ruud workhorses that allowed us to stay warm. Want to replace another Ruud unit with an energy efficient model, don't think it will be another Gibson. The jury is still out on how this Gibson will deal with the Central Texas summer.
Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: Brett M.

"Avoid Gibson At All Costs!!!!!"
Nothing more to say than it's junk. It didn't help that the guy who installed was a clown. Avoid Gibson and Kerr Heating and Cooling in Kosciusko, MS.
Date created: 2010-02-07 Name: Jackie Burks

"Verry satisfied"
Very happy. The difference in good & bad units are who you buy it from and the service and if they will take care of you on any unit. All units has the same component.
Date created: 2010-01-27 Name: John J. Gresko

"Gibson heat /ac pump"
System is very noise. Squeals when it starts up and never stops running in winter. A real piece of junk.
Date created: 2009-12-17 Name: Larry B

"Heat pump"
Had unit installed in 2006. Very noisy. Outside fan motor replaced three times in 14 months, still sounds like a steam engine. Never again!
Date created: 2009-12-15 Name: N. Simmons

"Gibson = Junk!"
Multiple service calls, still never runs right. I am averaging 7 service calls per year. AC freezes up. Heat pump dies. LP backup furnace rarely works. Absolute junk. I will never purchase another one again. The installation shop will not back up warranty. Waste of $7,000.
Date created: 2009-12-13 Name: SC

"New Westy Heat pump"
I had a Fedders heat pump/air handler installed about 3 years ago and can tell you that thing was a piece of crap. I had my HVAC guy install a new 14 seer Westy heat pump and electric handler and was the best investment I've ever made. The unit runs great, quiet and efficiently. Variable speed blower makes a world of difference. Seeing so many complaints in here but as I read I can tell you from experience that 99% of the complaints lead back to bad installs. Guys check your installers. Don't let them tell you this can be done. That can be done when installing heat pumps, especially retro-fitting into old systems. Do your research and find out how these units work before signing the dotted line. I can tell you that 85% of the HVAC installers don't have a clue about installing heat pumps, and if the guys say they've been installing heating systems for years, ask what type because installing oil furnaces is not the same as installing heat pumps.
Date created: 2009-11-27 Name: Disgusted with HVAC

"Gibson is Crap and Lowman Metal Shop not any better"
This is my 4th year owning a Gibson. When Lowman Metal Shop sold me the unit, the salesman insisted that this was the one that he owned and it was a "great" value. I think that really meant that it was a great value for him and a way to put his daughter through graduate school. I average 3 or 4 service calls per year at approximately $150. The technicians is usually here for about 10 minutes and resets some switch. He states that the "fix" is to short circuit and bypass all of the safety mechanisms, which I am wary of. Piece of junk. My initial investment of $5,000 was down the drain as is my extra $600 per year in service calls. Next time, I will go with an American Standard.