Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-27 Name: John J. Gresko

"Gibson heat /ac pump"
System is very noise. Squeals when it starts up and never stops running in winter. A real piece of junk.

Date created: 2009-12-17 Name: Larry B

"Heat pump"
Had unit installed in 06'. Very noisy. Outside fan motor replaced three times in 14 months, still sounds like a steam engine. Never again!

Date created: 2009-12-15 Name: N. Simmons

"Gibson = Junk!"
Multiple service calls, still never runs right. I am averaging 7 service calls per year. AC freezes up. Heat pump dies. LP backup furnace rarely works. Absolute junk. I will never purchase another one again. The installation shop will not back up warranty. Waste of $7,000.

Date created: 2009-12-13 Name: SC

"New Westy Heat pump"
I had a Fedders heat pump/air handler installed about 3 years ago and can tell you that thing was a piece of crap. I had my HVAC guy install a new 14 seer Westy heat pump and electric handler and was the best investment I've ever made. The unit runs great, quiet and efficiently. Variable speed blower makes a world of difference. Seeing so many complaints in here but as I read I can tell you from experience that 99% of the complaints lead back to bad installs. Guys check your installers. Don't let them tell you this can be done. That can be done when installing heat pumps, especially retro-fitting into old systems. Do your research and find out how these units work before signing the dotted line. I can tell you that 85% of the HVAC installers don't have a clue about installing heat pumps, and if the guys say they've been installing heating systems for years, ask what type because installing oil furnaces is not the same as installing heat pumps.

Date created: 2009-11-27 Name: Disgusted with HVAC

"Gibson is Crap and Lowman Metal Shop not any better"
This is my 4th year owning a Gibson. When Lowman Metal Shop sold me the unit, the salesman insisted that this was the one that he owned and it was a "great" value. I think that really meant that it was a great value for him and a way to put his daughter through graduate school. I average 3 or 4 service calls per year at approximately $150. The technicians is usually here for about 10 minutes and resets some switch. He states that the "fix" is to short circuit and bypass all of the safety mechanisms, which I am wary of. Piece of junk. My initial investment of $5,000 was down the drain as is my extra $600 per year in service calls. Next time, I will go with an American Standard.

Date created: 2009-10-22 Name: S.Bell

"Lemon Heat Pump"
When I read the reviews for the Gibson Heat pump by Nordyne. It was just sad to hear that so many consumers are having the same problems. Nordyne need to face the fact that the company just build a lemon!! I am consumer that works hard for my money and I can not afford to get a heat pump repaired every 6 or 12 months. Nordyne needs to replace our unit with a new one. Tennessee has a Lemon Law for cars. We need a Lemon Law for Gibson heat pumps!!! I wonder what 60 mintues would have to say about this company!!

Date created: 2009-09-29 Name: B.tribble
Location: Providence, RI

"Gibson heat pump parts"
Cant find a part for my heat pump. the reverse soldnoid.I Live in providence RI.but im happy with the unit.

Date created: 2009-08-09 Name: JD

"Gibson"
I would just like to put my two cents worth in. I sell Gibson products and no I am not going to try and defend them. I know the ins and outs of the product. I have been to the factory in Dyersburg Tennessee and seen these units assembled by americans. Yes, they are assembled in the U.S.(Dyersburg,Tn-O'fallon,Mo- St.Louis Mo.) But just like everything else in the world the most of the parts are made in Mexico or China. What is made 100% by american besides us ourself. Just about every a/c uses Copeland compressors, G.E. motors, and self built coils. If you do not believe that then Read up on it. I, personally, think that it all has to do with the installation.(too small of duct,copper lines, and poor seals on the ductwork.) There are many many factors for a a/c unit tearing up. Frozen coil, most of the time means low on freon. Yes, repair the leak, or if still under warranty replace the coil. Don't just pay someone to add freon, because, They are going to be back out there again adding freon and there goes another $150- $300 labor. my whole point of the story is to make sure that the Contractor you are getting is certified, and has a good reputation and will size up the job, not just go by rule of thumb. Remember always ask them to do a heat load calculation. If they do not want to do that then I advise you to find someone who will. It may cost you a little more, but, you will not regret. remember, pay now or pay later.

Date created: 2009-07-31 Name: Paul A. Moeller
Location: Columbia, SC

"Why Gibson lost a customer and what he will tell his friends."
It is July 31st. In Columbia, South Carolina, where I live, the temperature is ninety five degrees. My Gibson heat pump stopped cooling yesterday. The coils were covered in a solid block of ice and I was told that there was a leak and the coil would have to be replaced. Today I was told that the part was not going to be available for four weeks. Four weeks in August in South Carolina. What do you think all of my friends will hear about Gibson from me?

Date created: 2009-07-26 Name: C Stalnaker

"Gibson Heat Pump-3 to 4 years old"
Before my new home was 3 years old some part on the outside unit burned up. 700.00 and some change and we are running for about 8 months. 8 months later out of freon. a place on the outside unit was leaking. 300.00 and some change we are back in business. 6 weeks later out of freon. Need a new coil. Just replaced the coil. 710.00 and back on the cooling. Never buy a Gibson. And watch the a/c dudes if you are a nice person. They will take you if possible!!