Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2010-08-11 Name: Scott Jacobsen

"Great so far"
We have had a Gibson heat pump for two 1/2 years now and have had no problems. Cools great in summer and heats well in the winter. We do have electric back up for heat.

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: D. McManus

"Gibson problems"
1 year old: The heating works fine. The a/c is horrible. Since the beginning, it's been nothing but problems. The darn thing shuts off & doesn't cool. The inside unit runs & runs & blows hot air, but the outside condenser sucks. After 1 year & $4,200 I'm finally calling in a technician & fear what he'll tell me. I thought I was being proactive getting a new unit, even though it was working okay, as my other one was 17 years old. Thought I'd be saving energy costs with a newer unit as well. What a mistake! The installer (since retired) told me it was a timing issue if it ran too long, it would shut off outside. But that is not the case. Frequently, I come home to a broiling hot house because it has shut off. Now I'm smelling burning plastic, too. Never, ever buy a Gibson! If there was a lower rating than 'very unsatisfied', I'd give it that!

Date created: 2010-07-22 Name: Faye
Location: Alabama

"Unsatisfied"
My gas heat/ac is barely a year old. I set the temp on 76 - part of the house is 76 and part is 80+. When the unit cuts on, it's very loud and when it cuts off sounds like you threw a hand full of wrenches in it. The best part the guy I bought it from can't be found - he turned his phone off. I tried to contact him through his Mom and he never called back. I need it checked or repaired. His friend (my remodeler) insisted on buying from him saying it was one of the best units, etc. I had a Trane but was too small for the addition I had put on to the house. The Trane was not this loud. With the Gibson, the house is either too cold or too hot. Not happy in Alabama.

Date created: 2010-07-07 Name: Jeff Parker

"Less than five years old"
We replaced our Heil unit about 4 and a half years ago with a Gibson Combo unit. Since having it installed, we have had to have it repaired every year. Now, the tech says we need the switching valve replaced to the tune of $800. What happened to quality?

Date created: 2010-07-01 Name: John C.

"JPC"
Have a Gibson hp with gas back-up for the heat side. In year 3, had freon leaks outside. Now in yr 5, another leak. HVAC tech found and repaired another outside leak, then did a leak check on the coil in the air handler. He found a large leak in the center of the coil which can't be repaired. He said that a lot of manufacturers began making the coils and tubes thinner for efficiency in the heat transfer. He cited a study by Trane that found that "off-gassing" of formaldehyde products used in new home construction actually causes or hastens the damage to thin coils and tubes, causing leaks to the coil. Since my unit is 5+ years old, I'm out of warranty on the coil. He's telling me $1200-1800 for a new coil with the labor! This unit was recommended by the homebuilders HVAC guy when asked what he thought about going with a gas FWA system VS a HP system with elec. back up. My budget can't afford this!

Date created: 2010-06-28 Name: R. J.
Location: Omaha, Nebraska

"Not Too Pleased"
Live in Omaha, NE. First experience with a heat pump. Had this unit for 4 years. Unit was very quiet and I was pretty satisfied. I noticed this Spring that the unit was running but not cooling. Guess what it is, a bad compressor. Same story as most everyone else here. The thing is, I have emergency electric heat for this unit on the inside so this probably went out during the winter and I did not notice. I am not happy. The installer was my brother who has over 25 yrs experience doing these and he was surprised about the failure. Friends at distributor recommended this unit too. Guess, I should have googled for reviews rather than listen to friends in the industry.

Date created: 2010-05-13 Name: C. Vance

"Horrible Experience"
We had this unit less than 2 years when the compressor went out. We had it replaced and within a week the compressor went bad again. The company that installed the unit was not very helpful and drag their feet when it came to getting us the information about the manufacturer. We are still attempting to get our warranty fulfilled and it has been 6 weeks already. We are inclined to purchase another unit from a company that has a good reputation. Even if Gibson honors the warranty, we will probably have to replace it in another 2 years.

Date created: 2010-04-19 Name: K. Smith

"GIBSON JUST DOESN'T LAST"
We babied this unit that came with our modular home (regular maintenance, filters once a month, et al) and it literally fell apart on us after only 5 years. The tech charged us over $600 to try and fix and recharge it. Now, they are whining that r-22 is no longer usable (the price for it is sky high). I believe that air conditioning manufacturers are going the same as computer manufacturers in as much as the unit is outdated 5 minutes after you buy it. We'll never get another Gibson.

Date created: 2010-04-13 Name: J.B.

"Gibson heatpump review"
This Gibson 2.5 ton, 13 seer heat pump is two years old. So far, the compressor went out, and now the coil is leaking. In the first three months of 2010, we have been unable to use this equipment for heat or A/C for a total of 5 weeks, soon to be 6 weeks. It is a lemon and the best solution would be for a total refund. It came with a 5 year parts/ 1 year labor warranty. The labor costs far exceed the value of the unit.

Date created: 2010-03-21 Name: Mike Kraus

"Noisy Heat Pump"
Have yet to have a service call with the Gibson heat pump. Biggest complaint is that it is so noisy. You cannot carry on a conversation in the general vicinity of the compressor unit because of the noise. The noise in the guest bedroom next to the compressor certainly limits the number of days guests are willing to stay!!!!