Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2015-11-24 Name: Steve
Location: Hendersonville, TN

"Gibson"
I have had my Gibson for two years and had yet another service call this past weekend. The evaporator coil has a leak and now I will be heating my home in Emergency Heat mode. My tech placed the order for the replacement coil and was told they were on back order and it will be 3 weeks. I called and talked to the Warranty department. The lady who answered was not able to assist and was extremely rude. Apparently, their service is like their equipment, below standard.

Date created: 2015-11-04 Name: Jack
Location: Arizona

"Great unit!"
Brand new Gibson unit in 2002 when we moved in. 13 years later and never one service call on it. Neighbor has a Trane unit, only 7 years old and it has to be replaced already. Hope this unit keeps performing like it has for a long time.

Date created: 2015-07-26 Name: Cindy L.
Location: Phil Campbell, AL

Have owned for 8 years and have had it worked on every year. It needs a new coil now so we are changing handlers. This is a piece of junk and a money pit.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: john cox
Location: Clayton, NC

"Good and quiet"
No complaints here. Runs quieter than the last heat pump and it is much larger too. One local company wanted $6000 to replace the air handler and heat pump. But I went with a local guy in business for himself. His price was $4200. A Coleman air handler and Gibson heat pump. Both work great and flawless. Just because it's not a Trane doesn't mean it's not reliable.

Date created: 2015-05-12 Name: Andrew M. Jackson
Location: Broadway, VA

"Bad deal!"
I purchased a Gibson heat pump in 2010 and the very first year the trw reversal valve had to be replaced along with all the refrigerant gas which had leaked from the system. Each year thereafter the refrigerant gas had to be replaced, and this year I was informed that the compressor was bad and need to be replaced for a sum of $1000.00. Rather than spend this amount and have to keep having service calls and replacing the refrigerant every year, I have removed it and will replace it with something which I hope will be more reliable.

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: Michael
Location: Va

"Master HVAC in Virginia"
I am a HVAC contractor in VA. I have installed almost every make and model there is. I'm a Trane dealer but will install whatever the homeowner wants or what we think they need. To clarify all these negative reviews, I have installed more than 500 Gibson and Westinghouse systems and have only had two compressors fail. When installed correctly these systems are the best low end systems. Nordyne did have a run of A-coils that were manafactured in Mexico by a third party and then sold to Nordyne just like every other unit , these coils leaked after 5 or 6 years. When you have your unit serviced once or twice a year, finding these coils were easy and replacement is easy. All equipment no matter brand will have parts go bad. Just the other day I replaced a defrost board on a Trane heat pump and the printed circuit board was the 8th revision. No matter what brand, it must be installed and maintained correctly

Date created: 2013-05-26 Name: Ron Stinnett
Location: Loudon,TN.

"Don't Buy"
Biggest piece of junk ever made, even worse than Intertherm. Condenser, compressor, and blower fan all went out in three years. Never did heat or cool properly. I'm replacing with a Goodman.

Date created: 2012-12-16 Name: lotechguy
Location: Mid South

"Works great"
I had a 3 ton unit made by Nordyne, with the Gibson tag, AC/heat pump package unit installed in early September. It has been working great. It produced 49 degree air at a register nearest the unit in air conditioning mode this summer and 100 degree air with the heat pump. The emergency heat coils produce 36000 BTU's of heat if needed. This Gibson replaces a 17 year old York and is far more efficient and far more capable than the York. It is reasonably quiet, works perfectly and I expect many years of service from it. It is my understanding that Gibson, Maytag and several other brands made by Nordyne are identical but the one I had installed used the Gibson name.

Date created: 2012-04-17 Name: H. Mathes
Location: Richmond, Va

"Already replacing Parts"
Two years ago we bought a Gibson heat pump for $4500. It came with a 10 year warranty on parts and 1 year warranty on labor. We came home yesterday and it was 85 degrees in the house. We had a tech come out from a whole new company (because I don't trust the guys that installed it if the thing is already broken) and he told us that the motor in the outdoor unit is already fried. It tripped our fuse box and caused a spark when he tried to flip the fuse switch back over. Now we have to replace the motor to the tune of $350 labor. Thank God we registered the parts warranty, but a couple more breakdowns like this and we'll end up spending the amount we originally paid for the whole damn unit. The tech told us that Gibson is a low end manufacturer and many Heating/Cooling companies don't even use Gibson because of that fact. I'm pissed that we even got swindled into buying this stupid heat pump in the first place, always do your research. And trust the reviews if the majority of people are dissatisfied.

Date created: 2012-03-21 Name: M. Damron
Location: Knoxville, TN

"THIRD ISSUE IN 4 YEARS"
Have had this Gibson Heat Pump for 5 years, 2 months and I have had the compaciter replaced twice and now the compressor has to be replaced, none of these repairs were under warranty. Bad design or just a lemon don't know. They say 10 year warranty but only if you send in that stupid little card that will register the unit. Will replace with another brand, would not recommend purchasing a Gibson.....