Consumer Reviews of GIBSON heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about GIBSON heat pumps

Date created: 2017-03-29 Name: Maria Lyons
Location: Tampa, FL

"Don't buy One"
This unit only lasted 8 Years. The coils on the inside unit leaks and it cost to much to have it repaired. They have been leaking for almost 3 years. They just could find the leak March 27, 2016. We just kept putting r22 in twice a year until they found the leak. In three years we spent over $1,500 dollars. Now It cost $1,600 to repair the unit. ( Model gb5bm) This Heat Pump product have problems with coil leakage.

Date created: 2017-03-16 Name: carl tischer
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ

"Home owner"
I just had a 3 ton and 2 ton heat pumps installed professionally and it's been over a month now and they work great. Quiet and efficient . I've been reading all these negative reviews and got a little concerned. I believe I've got a 7 yrs warranty. But I've got a very reliable installer so I don't anticipate any problems. Will keep you updated . Happy so far .

Date created: 2017-01-25 Name: Tony
Location: Maryland

"Don't Buy"
I had the unit put in 2016 and been having problems with the unit ever since. The unit was not cooling properly in the summer time and now my compressor has gone bad less than a year. It's a good thing that I'm still under warranty. I would not recommend this unit.

Date created: 2015-11-24 Name: Steve
Location: Hendersonville, TN

"Gibson"
I have had my Gibson for two years and had yet another service call this past weekend. The evaporator coil has a leak and now I will be heating my home in Emergency Heat mode. My tech placed the order for the replacement coil and was told they were on back order and it will be 3 weeks. I called and talked to the Warranty department. The lady who answered was not able to assist and was extremely rude. Apparently, their service is like their equipment, below standard.

Date created: 2015-11-04 Name: Jack
Location: Arizona

"Great unit!"
Brand new Gibson unit in 2002 when we moved in. 13 years later and never one service call on it. Neighbor has a Trane unit, only 7 years old and it has to be replaced already. Hope this unit keeps performing like it has for a long time.

Date created: 2015-07-26 Name: Cindy L.
Location: Phil Campbell, AL

Have owned for 8 years and have had it worked on every year. It needs a new coil now so we are changing handlers. This is a piece of junk and a money pit.

Date created: 2015-06-09 Name: Ac daddy

"If you've had problems its because of the installer"
I've been installing Gibson's for 15 years. Never one call back. Never replaced a part. Because I take my time and do all the necessary steps to ensure it runs properly. Bad install equals bad compressors. Power spikes cause bad fan motors. And reading some of these reviews I can't believe how many techs "gas and go" if the refrigerant leaked out the leak needs repaired. If you're gasing up every year, you've been getting screwed over. If it's installed right you shouldn't have any problems. I can see a part failing here and there with any brand. But after your warranty is up parts for trane, carrier and all the other "big guys" will coast you a small fortune. Hope this was helpful.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Name: john cox
Location: Clayton, NC

"Good and quiet"
No complaints here. Runs quieter than the last heat pump and it is much larger too. One local company wanted $6000 to replace the air handler and heat pump. But I went with a local guy in business for himself. His price was $4200. A Coleman air handler and Gibson heat pump. Both work great and flawless. Just because it's not a Trane doesn't mean it's not reliable.

Date created: 2015-05-12 Name: Andrew M. Jackson
Location: Broadway, VA

"Bad deal!"
I purchased a Gibson heat pump in 2010 and the very first year the trw reversal valve had to be replaced along with all the refrigerant gas which had leaked from the system. Each year thereafter the refrigerant gas had to be replaced, and this year I was informed that the compressor was bad and need to be replaced for a sum of $1000.00. Rather than spend this amount and have to keep having service calls and replacing the refrigerant every year, I have removed it and will replace it with something which I hope will be more reliable.

Date created: 2014-04-16 Name: Michael
Location: Va

"Master HVAC in Virginia"
I am a HVAC contractor in VA. I have installed almost every make and model there is. I'm a Trane dealer but will install whatever the homeowner wants or what we think they need. To clarify all these negative reviews, I have installed more than 500 Gibson and Westinghouse systems and have only had two compressors fail. When installed correctly these systems are the best low end systems. Nordyne did have a run of A-coils that were manafactured in Mexico by a third party and then sold to Nordyne just like every other unit , these coils leaked after 5 or 6 years. When you have your unit serviced once or twice a year, finding these coils were easy and replacement is easy. All equipment no matter brand will have parts go bad. Just the other day I replaced a defrost board on a Trane heat pump and the printed circuit board was the 8th revision. No matter what brand, it must be installed and maintained correctly