Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC heat pumps

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC heat pumps

Date created: 2010-07-19 Name: C. T.

"Best heat pump in the world"
GE made the best unit I know of in 10+ years of HVAC experience. I always see them still 27+ year old with all original parts. TOO BAD THEY QUIT MAKING THEM. Now, you can buy a Trane with econo-engineered parts that will last one third of the time if you are lucky.

Date created: 2010-06-10 Name: Jerry Maybee

"Keeps on going"
GE Weathertron Unit was installed when the house was built in 1984 and is still working great (knock on wood).

Date created: 2010-04-19 Name: Harry Houghtaling

"GE WeaterTron model 21 still running"
This is the original unit put into the unit before they went condo back in 1970 - units were built in the late 60's. So we figure that the unit is around 42 yrs old. The cold output is 50 and the heat is 103+. I am totally amazed at the unit. I just had the 4 bulb mercury tube thermostat since the cool side of it wasn't working right now. Amazing for it's (and this) time.

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: D. RENNIE

"GE Weathertron"
We purchased our home 12 years ago with the GE Weathertron already in place. I am not sure of the exact ton rating. At that time, I had it inspected and serviced by a local HVAC shop just so I knew it was in good operating order because it looked to me like it was an old unit then. The tech told me it was indeed an old unit, probably 15 years old maybe more. He checked it all out and told me it was running just fine. We have since pondered the thought of replacing it with a more efficient and quieter model but still have not done so yet. So, here we are 12 years later which puts it at probably 27 years old at least, and the old GE Weathertron is still chugging away. I paid the tech $100 back then to check it out. But I have not spent one dime on service or repairs in those 12 years since.

Date created: 2009-11-02 Name: Jim Pease

"It won't quit!"
My ge 2 ton heat pump is original to my 1984 house. It won't stop running. The air handler is in the garage and it is rusted like crazy. But it has only had one freon recharge since 1994. I'm going to roll the dice and get a new Goodman system (on my brother in laws recommendation) only to increase the efficiency and take advantage of the tax credit.

Date created: 2009-10-16 Name: A.Q.Khan

"Khan"
I also have ge Weathertron, Executive, 2.5 t installed in 1980. This damn thing continues to run without any problem although the top plastic grid is broken and metal side is all rusted and efficiency might be in 6-7seer range. Never spent a dime except puting 1-2# freon about 10 years ago. I want to replace it with Amana unit(14-15 seer) but afraid it won't be as good as ge product has been. Any one of you have any experience with Amana or Goodman products. Please post.

Date created: 2009-07-05 Name: R. Stephens
Location: Wyoming

"Home owner"
After 37 years of trouble free service my GE Weathertron 3-ton unit is still heating/cooling. The only repairs has been the replacement of one outdoor unit fan motor and one air handler motor. It is heating/cooling a 3000 sq ft home at 5280 feet elevation in mid Wyoming. I immediately installed an outdoor thermostat to activate the first stage of resistant heat when the temperature got to 34 degrees ambient temperature when ever the indoor stat called for heat. It has saved a lot of run time on the outdoor unit and the temperature through out the home in severe cold weather can be above 72 if desired. I wonder if any manufacture can duplicate the longevity and great service this unit is still providing. The last month it has been cooling in the day time and heating in the wee hours of the morning. The original heat/cool thermostat is controlling the unit and settings haven't been touched for years. Not since I told my visiting son-in-law to keep his "hands off."

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: fj schaefer

"Ge heat pump"
30 years old and still going strong. a little pm, some freon and a contact switch is all its had needed. To bad ge doesn't still make them.

Date created: 2008-11-27 Name: R Vale
Location: Raleigh, NC

"Oldie but goodie"
Unit is a Weathertron executive series, house was built in 1977, I've been in it for 10 years, the compressor just died, 31 years of service. The only thing I ever did to it was a little pm and a buddy that does ac work added some freon 7 years ago. ge sold off this division to Trane a long time ago, can't say if the newer ones (Trane) are as good. When I look at all the bad reviews and systems breaking down and needing service I wonder if a lot of the new stuff is just crappy or did I just have an exceptional experience. I never thought about the system, it just always worked. Not sure if it would it make sense to just replace the compressor instead of buying a whole new system.

Date created: 2007-10-05 Name: ken hutzler
Location: martinsburg wv. 25403

After summer the air worked fine, now the heating will not work!!