Consumer Reviews of GENERAL ELECTRIC heat pumps

Read more about GENERAL ELECTRIC heat pumps

Date created: 2016-08-19 Name: Frank Kavvos
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada

"GE heat pump"
Bought the house in 1994. The furnace was installed in 198 (per sticker on the furnace). So, the GE heat pump unit is 30 years old (assuming it was installed at the same time as the furnace). No maintenance was ever done on the GE heat pump since I've owned it (only use it as A/C). Sometimes it never shuts off (when it's extremely hot) but keeps on chugging and producing cool air. I am guessing it was undersized? Wish I knew the efficiency and tonnage of unit. There is a nameplate with a number on it but I have no idea what they stand for. Would like to replace the furnace but not so sure about the GE heat pump. Maybe I'll hang onto the GE heat pump till it breaks (if it ever does).

Date created: 2015-07-17 Location: Vancouver, WA

"An okay system that does what its meant to do."
I've owned this heat pump for about 15 years now. It's an okay system that is pretty reliable. Not the best in the world, but also not the worst. Had a few problems, but nothing too major. It's not the most efficient system in terms of electricity use. It can cost a pretty penny to keep running, and isn't too efficient in heat transfer. It's only ever needed one major repair, and that was when a tube inside cracked. It cost me about 100 dollars which I'd say is worth it considering how much use it gets. Next time, though, I think I'll get a professional to repair it if the same thing happens. I screwed up once. A pretty easy fix, but it was broken without it. That's another thing I like about it. It's easy to fix. You can do it yourself if you really need to. If it broke down, I probably wouldn't buy another one. I'd want something more energy efficient and a little stronger.

Date created: 2012-05-28 Name: ct
Location: florida

"Quit reading reviews no one makes them like this anymore"
I've seen these heat pumps in north florida for a long time. They were so well built GE quit making them. Here is some of the scenarios I've witnessed: 30 yr old heat pump, hooked up to inadequate ducting (poor install) dryer vent discharging into the condenser coil, appeared to have never been maintained...the day we took it out it had never had a part replaced. It was quieter than the new one. Another one I saw was forty years old (the oldest heat pump I have ever seen in florida)...it was installed so poorly, a duct ran in front of the air handler so you could not open it up to work on it. The duct system had a run that discharged into the attic for forty years. Poor guy bought a Goodman after that. You may as well buy anything because no one makes them like ge did until the 80s when they got out of the hvac business. Now they make cheap parts for disposable ac units.

Date created: 2012-03-25 Name: c Rich
Location: nashville tn

"Weathertron"
If you are reading this review you are probably thinking the same thing I am thinking... should I replace my 30 year old Weathertron with a new energy smart hvac? After several months of research I would tell you no, keep that old ugly weathertron as long as you can. My house was built in 1952 and the weathertron was put manufactured in 1983...... still working with some minor fixes. Alot cheaper then a new unit. It is like most of the reviews in here, I wish they made things like they used to. I see several of these new units dying after 6 years... if u are lucky to get 6. Keep the weathertron till it dies........

Date created: 2012-02-11 Name: R. Matz
Location: Wheeling, WV

""TAKES A LICKIN & KEEPS ON TICKIN""
After reading quite a few of the reviews, I am now convinced that most, if not all new units just do not compare to the older ge quality standards! I had a two ton ge Weathertron "elite" heat pump installed in 1983; after eleven years, a compressor shorted out in 1994 and was replaced. And now,after another eighteen years of trouble-free service,I again need to replace the compressor; I agree with the person from Raleigh, North Carolina who said that it might be better to just replace the compressor, rather than buying a whole new system; I think that is what I am going to do!

Date created: 2011-08-26 Name: Sandara .S
Location: Northern Virginia

"Heat Pump"
This house was built 30 years ago in 1981 with (GE Heat Pump Unit) and I bought this house in 1989. And never have any problem with the (GE Unit) it is doing job, really good until the recently (Earth Quake )on 8/23/2011. During that time the unit was running and shorted compressor. I can not complain with 30 years old unit. Overall it good in normal circumstance.

Date created: 2011-06-13 Name: steve
Location: cent, Ca.

"Great system"
This house was built in 1967( we bought in o4) and has two GE units, one in living room/ kitchen/din. 1350 sq. ft. The other in a 900 sq. ft. mother outlaw unit. They work great, even when 30deg. out side. NERVR had problem, all the heat/cooling you could ask for. Bed room area had heat coils in the ceiling (worked great) but no air. Had air unit installed, and they cut all the heat coils(no heat),putting in the duct work, so had to put in a heat pump.Tempstar hell of cooling unit, even in the winter. Had heat strips put in still ice up below 45deg. Installer,s been here no less than 12 times in 4 years, he said they all ice up when fog and 45 deg. BS my GE,s work great sun/rain/fog or frost. GE is a great unit, but would NOT have a Tempstar stuck up my nose if I had room for fright train!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-06-04 Name: rosalind marie
Location: harvest,al

"Question for Pat Gee"
Pat, did you install the GE weathertron from the 1980's. the ratings are excellent, but we wonder about the seals having deteriorated and getting parts to fix it, since it is not in service any more. i wonder if repair technicians could service any GE weathertron problems since there would theoreticaly be no parts available.

Date created: 2010-11-06 Name: S.M.
Location: Northern Ohio

"1977 GE Weathertron"
33 years old & still have the original system with the exception of the air handler motor, the air compressor & starter (was hit by a storm power surge)& the defrost timer motor. When the air compressor failed 4 years ago the repair technician talked me out of buying a new unit, noting that "I was already driving a Cadillac, why buy a Yugo". He was right ! The unit still works fine & my electric bills are low. I wish GE would have stayed in this business. UPDATE - 1/16/15: This is an addition to my 2010 review (above). The unit is now 39 years old and still running fine, with the exception of replacement condenser fan motors. The original motor ran without issue for 36+ years, but I am now in the process of replacing the "replacement" motor after only 2 1/2 years (AO Smith motor) of service. I guess this provides proof for the technicians who feel units and replacement being made today are junk compared to the reliability of the old units.

Date created: 2010-09-16 Name: Jim in Florida
Location: Rocklege, FL

"Weathertron"
I'd give anything to find a new, still in the crate, GE Weathertron heat pump and air handler. Forgotten in the back of some warehouse. It was the first system installed in my home, back in the mid-60's. That GE system ran with nary a peep out of it FOR THIRTY YEARS. It was built robust with the best American parts and the dealer did a first class job in putting it in. It just wore out from toiling in the Florida heat and humidity. Good old technology and overbuilt American parts are the best. If you have one that is still working, HANG ON TO IT AND KEEP IT ALIVE. All of these high-SEER "eco-friendly" heat pumps are just trash and the reviews are slaying them all day long. What can you expect from stuff made with Chinese trash and put in by shady installers?