Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2008-04-04 Name: CRAZY CARL
Location: Milwaukee, WI

I don't own a Ducane but I am a wholesale supply house. I read these reveiws -- I have never heard any of this. It sounds like a lot of you need to call another tech -- you are over-paying. Ducane also has a no hassle warranty and also offer a 100 labor credits that I bet your techs are keeping. These units will not fuction well below 32 degrees -- it will cause parts to fail a lot faster. Also if you maintain the fans by cleaning and lubing that will protect your investment.

Date created: 2008-03-14 Name: Vickie Odum
Location: Blanch, NC

Nothing but trouble! The compressor has been replaced 3 times. The fan motor has been replaced. Now the compressor is out again. Lines went out and lost all freon on more than 1 occasion. Now company will not honor warranty. Over $1000 spent in labor. Company will not honor warranty if a different HVAC tech works on it. Avoid this company if you want to save yourself some trouble and lots of money!!

Date created: 2008-02-28 Name: M Slaughter
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio

Had 5 ton unit for 6 years, first year great, second year things began to happen. The lines inside unit broke freon was lost , unit could not be repaired. A new unit was supplied and worked great for one year and lines inside broke again. The inside coil was provided this time, but for the last 2 plus years nothing has work as it should, the defrost of the unit works then it stops working, had repair people out but to no avail.

Date created: 2008-02-05 Name: P. Reid
Location: Birmingham, Al

I am a maint supv for a complex with over 160 ducane heat pumps. The complex is less than a year old, (6 months operating). So far I have had every concievable hvac issue with these heat pumps. I would not recommend buying one of these units for the average consumer, unless they want the pain of having to call the tech on a routine basis.

Date created: 2007-11-26 Name: J. Abel
Location: Phoenix, AZ

I would not recommend DuCane. We have had the unit only 2 years and have already spent over $400 in labor for motor bearings, fan problems, etc. We have needed 6 service calls in these two years. Today we found out the compressor needs to be replaced. It is under warranty but the labor is going to be $750.00. Save yourself a lot of headaches and money and buy a different brand.

Date created: 2007-08-14 Name: POOR- MAN
Location: Va.

Ducane Ducane I just dont know about this unit I have had a few problems but not bad service have came out very few times but today 8/14/07 unit is only 2 years old and service people came out. (J M LEWIS) and wanted 375.00 to replace fan motor Now i think i should have went with some other kind of unit

Date created: 2007-05-22 Name: R. Goetz
Location: Virginia

I haven't even been in my house 2 years yet, will be in August of 2007. The first month of moving in, I had no AC. The service people came out, messed with the thermostat, put some freon in and they said it was all done. Come time to turn on the heat and it did not work. Called the company again, they came out, said there was a bolt loose and the freon leaked so they put more in and all was well. This pattern has continued now for each season I have lived here. My electric bills are outrageous. I live alone, the main living area is 1800 sq ft, I leave at 7 am and don't usually return home until 10 pm. On an average, my electric bills run 400+ a month. I have questioned this numerous times and keep being told this is normal. I know better then this. The repair people just left and now they had to replace the thermostat and do more work to the unit. The AC is back to working, but I fear that more items will continue to go wrong and my electric bill will continue to rise. At my old residence that was somewhat smaller, I rarely had a bill over 100.00 and at that time had more then one person living in the house. If I would have known that there were so many issues with this heat pump, I would have never put it in my new home.

Date created: 2007-04-27 Name: tim
Location: louisville, ky

This unit worked perfectly... for one season. hvac guys are here twice a year to fix different part failures - mostly freon leaks in the condensor. today I was told the fan motor is failing and will need to be replaced at a cost of $240 labor - the part is warranty. I have not had any problems with warranty service but now I am attempting to have Ducane replace the condensor under warranty because it is obviously faulty. reading these reviews makes me sad.

Date created: 2007-04-23 Name: David Canale
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Avoid at All Costs"
Avoid at all costs, inferior quality components lead to many expensive service calls and headaches. Ducane does not honor its warranty (except with a lot of hassle). I have two Ducane units installed four years ago: a 4-ton unit-HP12B48 and a 2.5-ton unit-HP12B30. Along with their respective air handlers. The 4-ton unit died in less than one year and the installer had to fight with Ducane to get a new one. Then about one month ago, a $170 txv valve broke on the big unit, leaking all freon out, but the unit had a safety component preventing the unit from running without freon. $900 later it was fixed. Ducane would not honor the 5-year part warranty. Then last week the same part broke on the smaller unit, but it does not have the safety component. The unit now needs to be replaced because it ran without the freon. Ducane will not honor its warranty. It cost me $700 today to find out that I need to replace the entire unit (including air handler). Save yourself the headaches and wallet aches -- do not buy Ducane!!!

Date created: 2007-03-22 Name: L. Schizas
Location: Montreal, Quebec

From the very beginning our heat pump has not worked properly and now the company that sold it to us has gone under and we are left once again with a bloody heat pump, the second purchase that doesn't work. That totals to close to 20,000 spent on two heat pumps in less than 15 years and this is ridiculous. If anyone knows where I can contact Ducane to please try and help us out here in Canada, I would appreciate it.