Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2008-04-15 Name: H Giles
Location: Hurt, VA

Purchased in October 2005 a 12 seer Ducane Heat Pump. Have spent so far about $800.00 on Freon leaks. Now is no Freon in unit. Will be another $750.00 to fix leak and put in Freon. So will be over $1500.00 in less than 3 years. We are going to replace with another model. I sure wish I had read these reviews before purchasing a Ducane but we thought the installer, who is now out of business was reliable. My mistake. I tried writing Ducane--even the ceo office. I got replies but no help from them. They are not at all consumer service oriented. Please do not purchase a ducane heat pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2008-04-14 Name: patti stewart
Location: Ragland, Alabama

The unit has been nothing but trouble from the first day! Everything has been replaced on the unit two times! The unit is froze up at the time I'm writing this! I can't get anyone to come and even look at the unit! My installer won't return my calls and the company tells me they can't talk to me! Why? I have a ten year warranty on this unit! And I want the unit repaired or replaced! I would also like a phone number to talk to someone at this company! I have been very disappointed with this product! I would not recommend this product to anyone!!!!
Date created: 2008-04-07 Name: Keith Brown
Location: Germanton, NC

I have had this unit for 3 years as of 04/07/08 the unit is still not working right. Do not buy one of these units you will have problems. I have had other heat pumps in the past that have lasted 20 years or more without any problems. Ducane's fan motors burn out and their lines bust. I have spent several dollars on repair work and it is hard to even get someone out to do the work.
Date created: 2008-04-04 Name: CRAZY CARL
Location: Milwaukee, WI

I don't own a Ducane but I am a wholesale supply house. I read these reveiws -- I have never heard any of this. It sounds like a lot of you need to call another tech -- you are over-paying. Ducane also has a no hassle warranty and also offer a 100 labor credits that I bet your techs are keeping. These units will not fuction well below 32 degrees -- it will cause parts to fail a lot faster. Also if you maintain the fans by cleaning and lubing that will protect your investment.
Date created: 2008-03-14 Name: Vickie Odum
Location: Blanch, NC

Nothing but trouble! The compressor has been replaced 3 times. The fan motor has been replaced. Now the compressor is out again. Lines went out and lost all freon on more than 1 occasion. Now company will not honor warranty. Over $1000 spent in labor. Company will not honor warranty if a different HVAC tech works on it. Avoid this company if you want to save yourself some trouble and lots of money!!
Date created: 2008-02-28 Name: M Slaughter
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio

Had 5 ton unit for 6 years, first year great, second year things began to happen. The lines inside unit broke freon was lost , unit could not be repaired. A new unit was supplied and worked great for one year and lines inside broke again. The inside coil was provided this time, but for the last 2 plus years nothing has work as it should, the defrost of the unit works then it stops working, had repair people out but to no avail.
Date created: 2008-02-05 Name: P. Reid
Location: Birmingham, Al

I am a maint supv for a complex with over 160 ducane heat pumps. The complex is less than a year old, (6 months operating). So far I have had every concievable hvac issue with these heat pumps. I would not recommend buying one of these units for the average consumer, unless they want the pain of having to call the tech on a routine basis.
Date created: 2007-11-26 Name: J. Abel
Location: Phoenix, AZ

I would not recommend DuCane. We have had the unit only 2 years and have already spent over $400 in labor for motor bearings, fan problems, etc. We have needed 6 service calls in these two years. Today we found out the compressor needs to be replaced. It is under warranty but the labor is going to be $750.00. Save yourself a lot of headaches and money and buy a different brand.
Date created: 2007-08-14 Name: POOR- MAN
Location: Va.

Ducane Ducane I just dont know about this unit I have had a few problems but not bad service have came out very few times but today 8/14/07 unit is only 2 years old and service people came out. (J M LEWIS) and wanted 375.00 to replace fan motor Now i think i should have went with some other kind of unit
Date created: 2007-05-22 Name: R. Goetz
Location: Virginia

I haven't even been in my house 2 years yet, will be in August of 2007. The first month of moving in, I had no AC. The service people came out, messed with the thermostat, put some freon in and they said it was all done. Come time to turn on the heat and it did not work. Called the company again, they came out, said there was a bolt loose and the freon leaked so they put more in and all was well. This pattern has continued now for each season I have lived here. My electric bills are outrageous. I live alone, the main living area is 1800 sq ft, I leave at 7 am and don't usually return home until 10 pm. On an average, my electric bills run 400+ a month. I have questioned this numerous times and keep being told this is normal. I know better then this. The repair people just left and now they had to replace the thermostat and do more work to the unit. The AC is back to working, but I fear that more items will continue to go wrong and my electric bill will continue to rise. At my old residence that was somewhat smaller, I rarely had a bill over 100.00 and at that time had more then one person living in the house. If I would have known that there were so many issues with this heat pump, I would have never put it in my new home.