Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: Andy Anderson
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Owner Constuction Management Co. in Phoenix AZ."
I am in construction management. I design, estimate and help people buy the products for their homes at the best Quality for the price. (Only 35 years experience)I have a Ducane Unit. I have had it repaired 4 times in 4 years almost a year apart. But I am going to say this. It does not matter what you buy any more. Just watch the show "how it is made" that's right ; no human hands all by machines, so what do you all expect. They are all made the same. You might get a good one or a bad one. This is how it is. My best advice is to buy one that the manufacturer or distributor is local so you can actually go to them if you need to. They don't want to see you! Trust me! Andy

Date created: 2008-12-18 Name: B Romeo

"Discharge line split at compressor"
This heat pump ( 2HP13L60P-1A)is 2 years old and in Dec 2008 the heat quit working . The company that installed it came by and spent 4 hours and soldered a split discharge line . The pnly way this can split is fauly copper . The line was soldered and 10 lbs r22 added . The repairman stated that he could get over $ 1000 for this fix all day long . I asked if it was a defect why cant it be warrantied . I was told you have a 1 year labor warranty . I told him then he should have replaced the compressor and line under warranty , he said good luck getting paid for warranty so he charges the customer . Great way to make a living .

Date created: 2008-12-02 Name: JohnnY Black
Location: Loganville, GA

"My Ducane Pain"
A little after a year my compressor breaks at the factory weld. My 13 seer unit parts are covered under warranty at this point but I do have to pay labor costs of 650 to get repaired. I called Ducane and they said "there's nothing we can do for you" (in regards to labor compensation) My service repair tech. told me he'd replace the whole unit for Ducane is junk in his opinion. Judging by some of these complaints I'm reading here, I may ultimately have to do so!

Date created: 2008-11-14 Name: M. Litzau
Location: Maryland

"Anchor Environmental President"
The problems on this site with dis-satisfied customers are definitely install related. Many contractors hire incompetent installers.. a heat pump is a sensitive machine. It must be installed correctly and match the indoor unit. You can no longer install the outside without the inside. It must match! We install hundreds of these units. Actual failure rate is around 1.5%. Much better than other more expensive brands. We have had no warranty issues with Ducane. I am an engineer and also teach the HVAC trade.

Date created: 2008-11-06 Name: k Butler
Location: Falkville, AL

"Ken of falkville al"
I am very unsatisfied with this unit, the air works ok but when the temp goes down so does the unit. It gets stuck when it defrost will not go back to air or heat had service out 6 times and still not working. When I call for service and tell them itís a Ducane they donít want to come out or donít show up Next time I call it will be for a new unit.

Date created: 2008-10-29 Name: Charles

"Ducane reliability"
I m a Contractor and have installed a high number of Ducane units. These unit are very reliable, but ultimately the system will only be as good as the installation. As I read the bad reviews on this site, I get the sense that the issues experienced are installation related.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: K. Cooper

"Aux. heat"
Heatpump works great in A/C mode and ok in heat, but have to replace aux. heat strip relays every fall. There relay coils are 24vdc for some reason, and they burn out each year.

Date created: 2008-10-13 Name: G. SHARP
Location: Maryville, TN

"MY DUCANE HEAT PUMP"
I work in heat and air if you clean and maintain your unit it will last longer and have less problems just like your car if it is not taken care of it stops running I agree some companies charge to much to check your unit out but a lot of the maintaince you can do yourself if you need help e-mail me at [email protected] i'll help you if I can, free.

Date created: 2008-10-02 Name: C. Reardon
Location: Glouster, OH

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!"
I paid $1050.00 for this heat pump a year ago. I worked fine during the summer, and broke down after about 1 month of winter. I had to use my furnace on emergency heat, which resulted in electric bills over $400 a month. I had a repairman here 4 times, and was told that the freon leaked out and needed to be charged. Even after that, the motor had to be replaced. It still, to this day, does not work. I'm not wasting any more money on this piece of junk. I've learned my lesson and will buy another brand elsewhere.

Date created: 2008-08-11 Name: Craig
Location: South Carolina

"Craig in S Carolina"
Purchased a hp12b36 3 ton heat pump in Sept 99 installed with a adp blower coil properly sized. In Nov 2000, needed an exterior shutoff valve from Ducane, they provided it free, and had the service tech screw it on. No further problems through August 2008. Hope it continues.