Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2009-01-31 Name: tim shannon

"Noisy piece of junk"
I have had nothing but trouble with my heatpump it is very noisy I have had the fan motor replaced once the expasion valve and both heat strips now the fan is extremly noisy I was told it probably has ice on it so I looked and it doesent ,sounds like another bearing going out do not buy ducane

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: R. Hegetschweiler
Location: Quebec

"Lots ov nerves and hundreds of $$$$$$$$"
December 2006 we installed a Ducane 3 ton heat pump. Combined with our almost new oil furnace, this should have worked for many years without high energy bills. That was the sales rep of a well registered construction compagny (Faucher et Guerin) out of Montreal said. But it was all wrong. The unit has worked for 1 week only. A new unit was installed 4 months later because of a back order problem with the supplier. During that whole winter we where enforced to heat our house on the emergency modus. The new 4 ton Unit installed in may 2007 worked well during the fall 2007 but back in Winter and as soon as it goes below 8 Celsius nothing workes properly anymore. We had the technician almost every week and hundereds of dollars later lawyer costs high energie bills, this Ducane heating pump is a real nightmare to us. We are now back in Winter 2009. Tecnicians are back almost every two weeks and we are still heating on the emergency modus, paying high oil bills and waisting money by trying to fix this Ducane unit. We simply dont know what do. The best thing will be probabley to remove the whole unit and buy a new one. But we will never touch any Ducane product.
Date created: 2009-01-04 Name: Gernot Ritzau
Location: Kensington, Maryland

"Great units"
I just fixed up an old house to move into. I installed a split level system (5 ton upstairs, 2 ton down stairs). The smaller unit seems a bit noisy due to high air flow! Both units worked without aux heat and maintained the temperatures in the house with outside temperatures well below 20 Fahrenheit I paid 5200 for both units with electronic air cleaner and humidifier. I had a company install and charge the units for 6500. Trane or Carrier would have cost me at least 3000 more and I couldn't have found anyone to install them for me either!
Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: Andy Anderson
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Owner Constuction Management Co. in Phoenix AZ."
I am in construction management. I design, estimate and help people buy the products for their homes at the best Quality for the price. (Only 35 years experience)I have a Ducane Unit. I have had it repaired 4 times in 4 years almost a year apart. But I am going to say this. It does not matter what you buy any more. Just watch the show "how it is made" that's right ; no human hands all by machines, so what do you all expect. They are all made the same. You might get a good one or a bad one. This is how it is. My best advice is to buy one that the manufacturer or distributor is local so you can actually go to them if you need to. They don't want to see you! Trust me! Andy
Date created: 2008-12-18 Name: B Romeo

"Discharge line split at compressor"
This heat pump ( 2HP13L60P-1A)is 2 years old and in Dec 2008 the heat quit working . The company that installed it came by and spent 4 hours and soldered a split discharge line . The pnly way this can split is fauly copper . The line was soldered and 10 lbs r22 added . The repairman stated that he could get over $ 1000 for this fix all day long . I asked if it was a defect why cant it be warrantied . I was told you have a 1 year labor warranty . I told him then he should have replaced the compressor and line under warranty , he said good luck getting paid for warranty so he charges the customer . Great way to make a living .
Date created: 2008-12-02 Name: JohnnY Black
Location: Loganville, GA

"My Ducane Pain"
A little after a year my compressor breaks at the factory weld. My 13 seer unit parts are covered under warranty at this point but I do have to pay labor costs of 650 to get repaired. I called Ducane and they said "there's nothing we can do for you" (in regards to labor compensation) My service repair tech. told me he'd replace the whole unit for Ducane is junk in his opinion. Judging by some of these complaints I'm reading here, I may ultimately have to do so!
Date created: 2008-11-14 Name: M. Litzau
Location: Maryland

"Anchor Environmental President"
The problems on this site with dis-satisfied customers are definitely install related. Many contractors hire incompetent installers.. a heat pump is a sensitive machine. It must be installed correctly and match the indoor unit. You can no longer install the outside without the inside. It must match! We install hundreds of these units. Actual failure rate is around 1.5%. Much better than other more expensive brands. We have had no warranty issues with Ducane. I am an engineer and also teach the HVAC trade.
Date created: 2008-11-06 Name: k Butler
Location: Falkville, AL

"Ken of falkville al"
I am very unsatisfied with this unit, the air works ok but when the temp goes down so does the unit. It gets stuck when it defrost will not go back to air or heat had service out 6 times and still not working. When I call for service and tell them itís a Ducane they donít want to come out or donít show up Next time I call it will be for a new unit.
Date created: 2008-10-29 Name: Charles

"Ducane reliability"
I m a Contractor and have installed a high number of Ducane units. These unit are very reliable, but ultimately the system will only be as good as the installation. As I read the bad reviews on this site, I get the sense that the issues experienced are installation related.
Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: K. Cooper

"Aux. heat"
Heatpump works great in A/C mode and ok in heat, but have to replace aux. heat strip relays every fall. There relay coils are 24vdc for some reason, and they burn out each year.