Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2009-04-30 Name: DUCANE

"It's Junk"
My home is only 7 years old and I have spent over $3,000.00 in repairs on this Ducane heat pump. It is junk. I've had to replace the compressor twice, the expansion valve's twice and the heat strip's once. My neighbors have Ducane's heat pumps and they have had nothing but problems with their units too. We have contacted Ducane but to no avail. They pretty much say its our problem. They dont except the blame for making a bad product. My service tech said he will not work on it again and that I need to save my money and buy a whole new unit. This is a shame maybe they need to stcik to making Grills...........but I wont buy one

Date created: 2009-04-28 Name: DUCANE

"Piece of junk"
I bought this unit new june 07,only after 2 months of service I had to have a repair man here to service it.Ive had to have a repair man here 5 more times since then and it is broken as of now. The older is gets the louder it gets. And the repairs has nothing to do with the installation it has everything to do with Ducane selling junk.I Will never buy any Ducane or Lennox products again. As Lennox puts out Ducane products.And I have never been able to use my warranty for repairs or recharging. Ducane tells me they do not cover labor or recharging and those both are big charges.

Date created: 2009-04-27 Name: DUCANE

"Ducane review"
Have had nothing but trouble with my Ducane heat pump. Freezes up in winter, sticks in defrost, is able to heat to 68 degrees(that's where thermostat was set) when outside temp. was 9 degrees but when temp.was 90 degrees is only able to cool to 76 degrees. Every service person who worked on it found something installed wrong. This has gone on for 5 years. Had a Trane before the Ducane and will go back to a Trane next.

Date created: 2009-04-13 Name: DUCANE

"Ducane Heat Pumps"
This a very good unit. Works very well within the limits of the seer rating. The problems people are having with heat pumps comes down to the installer. I found that most installers of air conditioning don't know beans about a heat pump. The outside unit has to match the inside coil and the duct system absolutely has to be the correct size to handle the air flow required by heat a pump system. 80% of the air conditioning duct systems installed in homes today will not accomidate a heat pump of the same tonage the air conditioner is. Heat pumps require more air flow (CFM) than air conditioning systems to work properly. A good technition or installer can tell right away if a heat pump will work correctly against your existing duct system. Most installers I've incountered doesn't care if the system is right or not. All they want is for the unit to last for year and then it's your baby. I suggest people that are having a problem with their heat pump shortly after they were installed better find a quilified tech.

Date created: 2009-03-29 Name: DUCANE

"Ducane, DON'T buy one."
It seemed to do ok for the first yeat or two but then had to start changing parts. It seemed that when the warrenty went out on a part it would go bad withen two or three months. My warrenty went out on the compressor three months ago and guess what, yep, it has gone bad. Going to cost around $1300.00 to fix it. I will never own another ducane

Date created: 2009-02-02 Name: David E
Location: Allentown, PA

"13 SEER Ducane"
I have had this unit for 2 months of winter and whenever the temperature drops below 32 degrees the heat pump fails to operate. After observing the behavior for quite some time, it seems like the system trips itself (not the breaker) when trying to start up after defrosting. It is considerably louder during the defrost and then when it tries to start the fan will spin briefly and then the whole unit shuts down. The only way to get the heat pump back on line is to power down all units (thermostat, heat pump breaker, and air handler breaker) and cycle the power back on. I have noticed that none of the breakers are ever thrown, but the only way to get the system back up is to switch the breakers off and then on. Very frustrating for a brand new unit.

Date created: 2009-01-31 Name: tim shannon

"Noisy piece of junk"
I have had nothing but trouble with my heatpump it is very noisy I have had the fan motor replaced once the expasion valve and both heat strips now the fan is extremly noisy I was told it probably has ice on it so I looked and it doesent ,sounds like another bearing going out do not buy ducane

Date created: 2009-01-21 Name: R. Hegetschweiler
Location: Quebec

"Lots ov nerves and hundreds of $$$$$$$$"
December 2006 we installed a Ducane 3 ton heat pump. Combined with our almost new oil furnace, this should have worked for many years without high energy bills. That was the sales rep of a well registered construction compagny (Faucher et Guerin) out of Montreal said. But it was all wrong. The unit has worked for 1 week only. A new unit was installed 4 months later because of a back order problem with the supplier. During that whole winter we where enforced to heat our house on the emergency modus. The new 4 ton Unit installed in may 2007 worked well during the fall 2007 but back in Winter and as soon as it goes below 8 Celsius nothing workes properly anymore. We had the technician almost every week and hundereds of dollars later lawyer costs high energie bills, this Ducane heating pump is a real nightmare to us. We are now back in Winter 2009. Tecnicians are back almost every two weeks and we are still heating on the emergency modus, paying high oil bills and waisting money by trying to fix this Ducane unit. We simply dont know what do. The best thing will be probabley to remove the whole unit and buy a new one. But we will never touch any Ducane product.

Date created: 2009-01-04 Name: Gernot Ritzau
Location: Kensington, Maryland

"Great units"
I just fixed up an old house to move into. I installed a split level system (5 ton upstairs, 2 ton down stairs). The smaller unit seems a bit noisy due to high air flow! Both units worked without aux heat and maintained the temperatures in the house with outside temperatures well below 20 Fahrenheit I paid 5200 for both units with electronic air cleaner and humidifier. I had a company install and charge the units for 6500. Trane or Carrier would have cost me at least 3000 more and I couldn't have found anyone to install them for me either!

Date created: 2008-12-28 Name: Andy Anderson
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Owner Constuction Management Co. in Phoenix AZ."
I am in construction management. I design, estimate and help people buy the products for their homes at the best Quality for the price. (Only 35 years experience)I have a Ducane Unit. I have had it repaired 4 times in 4 years almost a year apart. But I am going to say this. It does not matter what you buy any more. Just watch the show "how it is made" that's right ; no human hands all by machines, so what do you all expect. They are all made the same. You might get a good one or a bad one. This is how it is. My best advice is to buy one that the manufacturer or distributor is local so you can actually go to them if you need to. They don't want to see you! Trust me! Andy