Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Nick

"POOR MANUFACTURING QUALITY"
I agree with the other posts, the Ducane Heat Pump is a piece of junk. Mine was installed as an add-on heat pump in the Spring of 2006 in my new construction house by a heating sub-contractor that general hired. First hot day in 2009, we noticed that it was not cooling. A service call revealed “no refrigerant”. Inside the condenser, there is a manifold with about 6 copper pipes coming off it and connecting to the coils. Two of those pipes were rubbing against one another (poor quality control in manufacturing) and the “extensive vibration” of this junk wore a hole in one of the pipes and let the refrigerant escape. A $1000 repair in addition to the service company using the supply of r22 that I already had. In July of 2010, it stopped cooling again. This time, it is “very very small” pipe coming off the reversing valve. It is about the size diameter of a tooth pick. This pipe cracked and let all the refrigerant out again. Why would a manufacture use such a small fragile pipe on something that is exposed to the weather and is on a piece of equipment that vibrates as much as a Ducane? I contacted Ducane customer service via email on their web site. The first email response was the usual company line about the warranty. When I re-emailed with more details about the break down history in the first four years (about things that should not be breaking so soon), I had to ask three times for a response. When they finally did respond, the email contained the following” “The Allied Air Enterprises equipment limited warranty on a model number hp12b60 with serial number ##########, installed in a privately owned residence, covers all parts for a period of five years. The Allied Air Enterprises' Equipment Limited Warranty is based upon the date of component failure in relation to the original equipment installation date and covers parts only and does not include any labor, refrigerant, shipping charges or a replacement unit. The manufacturer's limited warranty is only through our local distribution.” Now I am faced with either repairing this Ducane junk or replacing it with a “new Bryant” unit (about $5,000). The new Bryant seems like a better choice then stick more $ into this Ducane every year. If r22 is so bad for the environment, why doesn’t the government do after Ducane for releasing all this r22 into the atmosphere that their faulty equipment releases?

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joseph

"New home buyer"
The builder put this piece of junk in. It broke the second year, the third year, the fourth year. Tonight, it just completely burnt up and it is 89 degrees outside. Never, ever, buy a Ducane or allow your builder to stick you with one. Now, I'm out a few grand to put a new system in after only five years in my new home.
Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Ron

"Ron"
The warranty is over and the unit is no good because the compressor just stopped working. I wish companies know how to build things that last so I could buy in the USA.
Date created: 2010-03-09 Name: Bubba

"Rep"
For those who are looking for a phone number to Allied Air, the makers of the Ducane units, it's 1-800-448-5872. They are out of Columbus SC. Though affiliated with Lennox, they are manufactured at separate facilities. Ducane has been a good selling product for me, but there are many under-trained installers putting systems in. Trane, Carrier, York etc, all experience problems with under-trained installers. They are becoming an industry nightmare. Know not only your contractor, his reputation, his references, but always, I mean always asked the person touching your baby (heat pump), ask that person for his certifications before starting work.
Date created: 2010-02-24 Name: J. Plyler

"Ducane Heat Pump"
The system (2HP13L48P) is under three years old and replaced an Armstrong unit that lasted 8 years. This unit ran fine for the first year and one half, however since then it's been down 30% of the time since. An elbow out of the compressor leaked all the r22 out the first time had that soldered and everything was fine then the defrost board went, and 2 weeks ago the same elbow has let loose again. It's down for who knows how long again. A good reputable manufacturing co. would not want anything of this quality in the field.
Date created: 2010-02-16 Name: Carl

"Ridiculous"
I had never heard of Ducane. I wish that were still true. Our brand New House came with a Ducane 4-ton Heat Pump that has been one problem after another since we moved in. The outside unit has quit all three winters. It will not hold freon. The unit actually rattles inside my wall, making our dining room almost unusable when the heat pump runs due to the noise. Maybe an installation problem - I don't know. All I know is that this unit will have to be replaced long before it should, and the replacement will be anything but Ducane. Do yourself a favor and stay away from these cheaply made and undependable heat pumps.
Date created: 2010-01-15 Name: Harrisburg, PA

"No problems so far"
Outside unit is a bit loud when it kicks on but so far so good.
Date created: 2010-01-11 Name: Upset

"A piece of junk"
Nothing but problem between the third and fourth year of working. Also hard to find replacement parts. Even try to go online to find them. The company shows nothing.
Date created: 2010-01-02 Name: M. Jones

"Feed up"
I bought my unit for $4500.00. The first year, the insulation on the inside unit came undone and sucked into the A-coil later that year. Then the outside fan motor just stopped working. All in all, I have had to have someone out every season for something. The parts have been replaced but somehow I always get stuck with paying labor, despite the warranty. This year, the cooling worked great but now that we have gotten into the colder weather, the outside unit has stopped working again.
Date created: 2009-12-17 Name: J. M.
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Ducane it garbage"
I purchased the unit from Alaskan Air Conditioning and had problems immediately. It was making a clacking noise and it took them two visits to figure out it was the blower wheel. Next, a switch went out and on year five told he needs the expansion valve replaced. This part runs about 600 bucks. Alaskan is telling me I have to purchase their performance package at $580.00 to keep my extended 10-year warranty. Total rip off from Alaskan and Ducane heat pump is crap. Don't buy it and don't use Alaskan to install or service it in Phoenix, Arizona. Ducane must have a problem with the expansion values failing!