Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-06 Name: S. Myers
Location: Fleetwood, PA

"Ducane Heat Pumps"
I agree with Chuck. My experience has been very similar to his. I've had 8 service calls in less than 3 years. The last two times I had it serviced it ran for about four days before it quit again. I have also replaced enough parts on it to practically pay for a new heat pump. Only the part for the first repair was covered by the company. The warranty is horrible on these units. I could never recommend this product to ANYONE!

Date created: 2011-01-31 Name: Chuck Y
Location: Jacksonville Florida

"DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY"
I purchased my 3 Ton Ducane on Feb. 12th 2005. It came with a 5 years parts warranty. It never defrosted from day one but since I live in Florida by the time the repairman got around to getting here the sun was up and the ice melted. Oct 21 2010 8 months out of warranty the unit quit. I've replaced the Compressor, Circuit/Defrost Board (3 times) The Heat Relays and Expansion Valve, still don't work? Now I'm told the Evaporator Core is leaking and the Reversing Valve is Bad? Basically saying every piece in the unit went bad at once. The repairman NOW recommends I buy a new unit after I've sit here since before Thanksgiving with no heat in the coldest weather in Florida History. Between the dozen times the repairman has been here and all the parts I have purchased I've spent just about enough to buy a new unit and still have a Ducane Piece Of JUNK that don't work. I know they are owned by Lennox but have their own plant in Blackville S.C. and just their Cheap Version of a Heat Pump yet the price I paid for it sure wasn't cheap. They should NEVER be allowed to sell such junk on the market. I will Never buy anything with the Ducane name on it again, not even a grill. That goes for Lennox as well. They should be ashamed!!

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: Robert Wilson
Location: Niles, Ohio

"Bobert"
I've owned my ducane heat pump for 3 yrs also have ducane furnace had installed same time. I've been pretty happy with them so far. I didn't realize the problems so many are having til I read these complaints. I guess the reason I went to this site was because of the very loud noise I get when the heat pump kicks on. I wasn't sure if this is a problem or not then I read that someone else has same problem. I guess if that's my only problem then I'm luckier than most on this site. I hope that mine last long I'd hate to replace it. I did have a good instaler do the work. He said he has installed hundreds of units different brands and that this is the least brand he has trouble and service calls with. I went with his opinion since he does know. I guess like the one person said anything man made can break so it's like anything, you get good and you get bad ones.

Date created: 2011-01-20 Name: Jason

"Terrible unit"
I have a Ducane 2HP13 3-ton heat pump. It has left us without heat for about a month this winter. Blows circuit boards at random. Parts are under warranty, but they take a week to come in, and you still have to pay for the labor. Technicians are baffled as to why it keeps going down. The entire thing is a hunk of junk.

Date created: 2011-01-03 Name: Dan
Location: Ohio

"Heat Pump"
Two ton unit installed by builder in 2001; had two circuit boards replaced at $600 each; shopping for replacement.

Date created: 2010-10-24 Name: Fred
Location: Delaware

"Working well so far..."
After reading so many negative reviews I'm thinking we were fortunate. We have had a two-ton Ducane heat pump in service since 2002 and it's still plugging along with no repair issues. This house was built in '62 and had never had forced-air heating or cooling before. The contractor had the heat pump installed by a reputable tech. However, as we later learned, a jackleg subcontractor was hired to install the ductwork. The system wasn't right from Day One. It ran constantly. It couldn't keep up in summer and delivered cold air in winter when the outside temp was below freezing. We had a local HVAC contractor out to look it over and offer suggestions. He wasn't all that thrilled with the Ducane brand but told us as long as it functioned, the half-assed ductwork should be replaced. That's now done. It's been working much better and the electric bills are lower. The heat pump was installed together as a matched set. Going on 8 years now, the unit is still functioning. And it's been working through some very cold and icy winters.

Date created: 2010-10-09 Name: T. G.
Location: Pasadena, Md.

"Lemon"
Bought a new Dukane heat pump & the air handler had a hole in 1 of the coils. Now the heat doesn't work & it may be the heat transfer valve-which according to 1 repair tech has an awful design to access 2 replace or the hi-pressure valve. Either way I have had no heat since the thing was installed 6 months ago & each time I try to get the parts- 'free under warranty', I have to pay a repair person to drain the system, do the labor, & recharge the system. Check all aspects of your warranty before buying a lemon!!!

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: Nick

"POOR MANUFACTURING QUALITY"
I agree with the other posts, the Ducane Heat Pump is a piece of junk. Mine was installed as an add-on heat pump in the Spring of 2006 in my new construction house by a heating sub-contractor that general hired. First hot day in 2009, we noticed that it was not cooling. A service call revealed “no refrigerant”. Inside the condenser, there is a manifold with about 6 copper pipes coming off it and connecting to the coils. Two of those pipes were rubbing against one another (poor quality control in manufacturing) and the “extensive vibration” of this junk wore a hole in one of the pipes and let the refrigerant escape. A $1000 repair in addition to the service company using the supply of r22 that I already had. In July of 2010, it stopped cooling again. This time, it is “very very small” pipe coming off the reversing valve. It is about the size diameter of a tooth pick. This pipe cracked and let all the refrigerant out again. Why would a manufacture use such a small fragile pipe on something that is exposed to the weather and is on a piece of equipment that vibrates as much as a Ducane? I contacted Ducane customer service via email on their web site. The first email response was the usual company line about the warranty. When I re-emailed with more details about the break down history in the first four years (about things that should not be breaking so soon), I had to ask three times for a response. When they finally did respond, the email contained the following” “The Allied Air Enterprises equipment limited warranty on a model number hp12b60 with serial number ##########, installed in a privately owned residence, covers all parts for a period of five years. The Allied Air Enterprises' Equipment Limited Warranty is based upon the date of component failure in relation to the original equipment installation date and covers parts only and does not include any labor, refrigerant, shipping charges or a replacement unit. The manufacturer's limited warranty is only through our local distribution.” Now I am faced with either repairing this Ducane junk or replacing it with a “new Bryant” unit (about $5,000). The new Bryant seems like a better choice then stick more $ into this Ducane every year. If r22 is so bad for the environment, why doesn’t the government do after Ducane for releasing all this r22 into the atmosphere that their faulty equipment releases?

Date created: 2010-06-21 Name: Joseph

"New home buyer"
The builder put this piece of junk in. It broke the second year, the third year, the fourth year. Tonight, it just completely burnt up and it is 89 degrees outside. Never, ever, buy a Ducane or allow your builder to stick you with one. Now, I'm out a few grand to put a new system in after only five years in my new home.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: Ron

"Ron"
The warranty is over and the unit is no good because the compressor just stopped working. I wish companies know how to build things that last so I could buy in the USA.