Consumer Reviews of DUCANE heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about DUCANE heat pumps

Date created: 2018-07-03 Name: Starr Robinette
Location: Tennessee

Our 5 year old 3-ton Ducane has a burned up compressor. The warranty has run out because we didn't register the unit. We were never told by anyone that it was our responsibility to register this unit. We assumed that our licensed contractor who installed it would also register it. I would never buy another Ducane. We jokingly say here that it is more like a Ducan't.

Date created: 2018-06-20 Name: Steve
Location: Tennessee

"Oh well"
Have had unit four years. Have had it worked at least once every year. Internal parts tearing up. Nothing to do with installation.
Date created: 2017-07-06 Name: D. Jones
Location: Huntsville, AL

"Overall a Very Good Unit"
We have an 11 year-old 3-ton Ducane heat pump that was original to the house. It has generally been reliable. Right after we moved in the circuit board on the condenser unit failed, which was replaced under warranty but we were stuck with the labor charge. About 1 year ago the run capacitor failed, which was replaced at full cost to us but was relatively inexpensive. We get the system inspected / maintained once a year and have never had to add any refrigerant since day one. I live in an area where power outages, surges, and lightning strikes are fairly common. Many of the circuit board failures are due to poor (or perhaps even nonexistent) grounding of the condenser unit. If you live in an area with poor electricity conditions, I'd highly recommend installing a supplemental grounding rod on the condenser. Just a bit of background - Ducane is in fact a lower-end Lennox rebranded to sell to contractors, frugal homeowners, etc. Lennox - Armstrong - Ducane are actually the same products with a few small exceptions. Most people purchasing Ducane or any "budget" model HVAC product are looking to save money. This means that they often go with poorly qualified second-rate installers or contractors who will cut corners to lower their bid price. Not surprisingly, the quality of installation is usually substandard. I've seen many hack-job installations of Ducane, Goodman, Nordyne, etc. units. I would venture to guess that most of the issues people are complaining about are due to the poor quality of installation resulting in shortened lifespans. When the unit has a catastrophic failure after a few years, the HVAC technician will look at you and say "You should have bought a Trane, these Ducane / Goodman / Nordynes are junk." In actuality it's much better to have a well-installed and maintained lower-end HVAC system than a top-of-the-line system installed by boneheads. Shop for the quality of install, not for the name on the system. Above all else, don't be fooled by marketing hype. You'll never see an advertisement on TV or online for a Ducane but you'll see plenty for Trane, Carrier, Lennox, etc. HVAC contractors will push the higher-end name brand units because they make more money on them. Be very wary - get many bids and ask lots of questions.
Date created: 2016-08-12 Name: Mary Moseberth
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

"Horrible"
Unit 2HP13L36P-1B was installed August of 2009, began having issues in 2012 and the unit was completely useless in early 2016. An entire HVAC system should last more than five years. I can't imagine why they produce such a poor quality product.
Date created: 2015-09-07 Name: sean
Location: Clermont, NJ

"Blower motor failure"
4 year old summer home at the Jersey shore. Newly installed, use it 2 times per month(6 days /month) for 6 months per year. The blower motor failed, I understand this is happening all over the development to units of the same vintage. I would research prior to allowing a builder to simply install this unit. $650.00 to fix this time. After reading the reviews, I'm wondering what will go next.
Date created: 2014-12-31 Name: Cheryl Colber
Location: United States

"Very unsatisfied"
Our unit was installed new in March of 2008. Each and every year we have had to call for a service issue (I.E. relay problems, coil, and now the compressor must be replaced). We were sold a lemon! I would never recommend this brand to any of my family or friends.
Date created: 2014-09-28 Name: Stan Cohen
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"Trouble, trouble, trouble"
Three-ton unit installed 17 months ago. Nothing but trouble. Save your money and buy something else. This is junk. The unit quit again last night. Please do not waste your money. The company should recall all of them. Please do not buy. You will be sorry.
Date created: 2014-05-01 Name: Miss G
Location: maryland

"Garbage"
Had this garbage for three years, had repair man out every year sometimes twice in the same year. Now the outside unit is beyond repair. Don't waste your money!
Date created: 2014-02-21 Name: cheetahz
Location: TN

"People are fickle"
You should not brand shop but installer shop. Installed correctly these units will last as longer if not longer then any other brand. These are made by Lennox. I worked in tv repair for years and some people swore by their name brand tv. The exact same unit with another label on it was garbage. These were identical units exact same parts made in the same plant. Before you buy another brand find a good installer who knows what he is doing. Look it up on the internet and you find nothing but negative reviews regardless of brand name. My opinion stay away from large hvac companies they will hire anybody to keep up with service. Find a highly recommend small independent businessman. He's usually 1 or 2 guys who know what they are doing been in business forever and do not have the time to keep going back to repair a unit so it is done right the first time. You'll get a better price on the best equipment at that time and they are not biased by having to sell a particular brand. They are hard to find but well worth it when you do.
Date created: 2013-06-29 Name: Kathy Teat
Location: Rome, GA.

"Don't Buy This Brand of Heat Pump!"
This Ducane heat pump has given many problems and we have had a repairman out at least every year since we installed it. We have replaced the fan, the motor, and various other things have gone bad that caused us expensive repair bills. This unit is only 7 years old and we have probably spent the cost of the unit in repairs. It is ridiculous! It is a Saturday and I have just paid the repairman for the 3rd time in 3 weeks for all kinds of different repairs. Ducane should be embarrassed to sell equipment and take people's hard earned money for something that is this poor construction! Shame on them!