Consumer Reviews of Comfortmaker heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about Comfortmaker heat pumps

Date created: 2011-12-09 Name: B. Willson
Location: Richmond, VA

"It's all about the installation"
Four years ago we had two Comfortmaker heat pumps installed as part of a complete re-do of our hvac system. We have 14 and 17 seer units. It took a while for the hvac company -- James River Air in Richmond, va -- to get the system balanced right, but once they did, the system has been nearly flawless. We have a service contract that includes inspections twice every year and covers repairs. The units have ten year warranties. a couple of times we've had an electrical part fail, and they were quickly replaced. I agree with the comment above that it's all about the installation. Most heat pumps are pretty similar in design, but getting the system installed correctly and balanced well is the difference from one house to another. If you're having hvac work done, make sure you use an established and well-regarded company that services what it sells.

Date created: 2011-05-30 Name: J. Frank
Location: Potales, NM

"Unreliable/Poor Quality"
I bought a home with a ComfortMaker Heat Pump installed (1 year old). I had the coil leak that same year (wasn't covered under warranty). Local tech soldered the leak and I got away withour unit replacement/few hundered R-22 recharge fee. About a year and half later (unit now about 4.5 yrs old), the coil springs a leak in a different portion. What a piece of junk!

Date created: 2011-05-29 Name: D. Babcock
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

"Money pit, replaced after 4 years"
This 2.5 ton unit was installed in november 2006 in a newly built home. It has gone through 3 coils and needs a fourth. The warranty people are difficult to work with. I have had to have service professionals out on it each summer and winter since I've had it at extreme costs. After 4 years of irritations with this piece of crap, I'm now spending $$$$$ to have it replaced. I'll never consider Comfortmaker again!!

Date created: 2011-01-01 Name: jimmy burkett
Location: vanceboro, north carolina

"Great unit but noisey unit"
This unit is a mod#PHT336K00A1, it is a great unit and very efficient / elec-cost low. But from the beginning it has a loud vibration rumble starting up. Contacted cert. co. that installed it and he said that is because of the type of motor and pump it was. I don,t like it because it is getting louder as mths pass. Does comfortmaker make a replacment part that could eliminate this noise or is there another alternative. Approx- 2yrs old. HELP

Date created: 2010-12-21 Name: Barbara Cenatiempo
Location: dorsey

"Home"
Could please ex plain how a heat pump works. Seems to run all the time.

Date created: 2010-12-03 Name: R. Backman
Location: Lexington, SC

"20 years and still working great"
Just getting ready to replace my Comfortmaker HVAC after 20 year of trouble free service. Only replacing because of the Gov. rebate and the fear that I'm on borrowed time and the desire for more efficiency. My HVAC guy is installing a Tempstar. I hope its at least half as good as the one I'm replacing.

Date created: 2010-11-19 Name: Lori G.
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

"Good Product in my book"
We bought our house in 1985 and it came equipped with a Comfort Maker Heatpump. The builder suggested a yearly check up to keep it running by someone that was good at his work. We did just as he suggested and had a local man check it. He was very diligent and got after a few initial leaks but then it worked fine. He finally left the business and we got another good mechanic to check on it yearly after that. Here it is 2010 and we are still using the same Comfort Maker and it's working great cooling in the summer and heating in the winter. If it breaks tomorrow it will have done a great job. It's 25 years old!!!!

Date created: 2010-08-20 Name: J Goodwin
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.

"Poor Product"
Purchased the unit in April, 2010, have had nothing but problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Compressor will just QUIT, and the only way to get it back on is to turn unit off for 20 minutes. Service people have been here 5 times in 5 months, can NOT find out what is wrong, and this is a brand new unit, we may sue dealer who sold us the unit to get him to replace it. Never purchase a Comfortmaker Heat Pump. Poor, Poor quality.

Date created: 2010-06-19 Name: C. T.

"Interesting"
Interesting how one person says their Comfortmaker is better than their neighbors, Arcoaire (it is the same equipment). This stuff is made by ICP who makes Carrier (the air handlers are all the same and the condensers are likewise. I have installed them for years and they are less problematic than Amana. Everything is junk these days. Chinese parts kill me. Comfortmaker has the same problem everyone has---bad coil design. No manufacturer has a good indoor coil design. They all fail way too often especially in the southern humid states. I currently think Comfortmaker is a great value, compared to everything else.

Date created: 2010-05-15 Name: Mike Connor

"They mostly work."
I'm giving it a neutral because it worked without fault for three years(until yesterday) but build quality and electrical design is a bit of joke compared to the bigger names that I've owned on previous houses. The Carriers, Yorks, RUUD's, etc. I've been around usually go about 20 years before they act up (fan motor wears out). My Comfortmaker PHF3 package unit decided to stop working yesterday and I traced it to the Low Pressure Switch wires shorted to ground. Judging from the half-@ssed wiring harness, inconsistent color scheme, and poor schematic, I'm not surprised. On the bright side, they use an easily obtainable 5 Amp automotive type fuse. As the Comfortmaker rep stated, people choose HVAC systems on price, and my home builder chose to go cheap. Funny how they seem to be made in Lewisburg, TN but only TN dealer seems to be in Memphis... that probably says something. The fact that they don't have an easily findable address, phone number, etc., probably says something too. Explain that stuff away, C'maker rep....