Consumer Reviews of Coleman heat pumps

Read more about Coleman heat pumps

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: R. Aiello

"The most important day in the life of a heat pump"
After 16 years the original heat pump in our home quit. After reading as much as I could about different brands we settled on a Coleman 18 seer unit. It was installed by a very professional local company. It is very quiet and seems to cool the house much better than our old unit of the same tonnage. The warranty is 10 years parts and labor and lifetime on the compressor.After all I have read I believe it is a good choice to purchase a product where company funds go into the product instead of advertising. If you are a do it yourselfer avoid the systems online that advertise a 18 seer system, but come with a 16 seer compressor and a variable speed air handler. Make sure you get the 18 seer compressor unit.

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: Sam. C

"Happy for 6 years"
I have had a Coleman heat pump for over 6 years and I love how quiet it is. The problem is that next door, their heat pump is so loud that it drowns out mine, and it is over 30 ft away

Date created: 2009-05-16 Name: C. Anderson

"Hot air"
I had a Trane heat pump in my old house for the last 6 years, it worked ok but it was always cold. My new Coleman has much hotter air then my trane.

Date created: 2009-05-16 Name: Larry. M

"Quiet!!!!"
I bought a Coleman 18 seer heat pump last year and it is quiet. I cant hear my heat pump at 10 ft away.

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: D. O'Mara
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Coleman/Evcon"
I had two Coleman Heat pumps installed in 1995, as part of a remodeling w/addition. The larger unit is a 14 seer, scroll compressor type. Both units have operated fine, with minimal service calls. What I didn't know then was how important the existing ductwork can be, since we were replacing an electric furnace with the 14 seer unit. It's noisy, since heat pumps need to move a lot of volume. Couldn't do much about that, however, since it would involve tearing open walls and ceilings to upgrade ducts.

Date created: 2009-02-12 Name: H Anderson
Location: Minnesota

"First winter in Minnesota"
In the fall of 08 I installed a Colmane heat pump. It worked for 2 months. It is now Feb. and I find out the units has not run all winter. (I have off peak electic) just now figure out it was not running, and the mfg. says "Oh yey, we have some trouble with them you need a upgrade kit to make it run. We thought we fixed the problem but now we know they need to be upgraded. Don't buy these units...

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: J Cotter
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Coleman heat pump"
Coleman 2Ton model T.H.E. 14 Seer unit. Heating was main concern for me, so purchased this unit based on cop for heating. Good points: Copeland scroll compressor Demand defrost High and Low limits Very silent operation txv valves Weak points: Poor electronic control at the balance point due to "dumb" thermostat and electronics, I have since modified and improved this. Only failures in 11 years have been the outdoor fan motor and indoor control board. All other failures can be traced back to improper installation

Date created: 2009-01-02 Name: D. Fuhrman
Location: Concordia, MO

"Very costly, non saving unit"
We bought 5 ton Coleman heat pump 3 years ago and this has been a very costly mistake. It started out with the installation of the unit. The installer hooked it up and 5 days later something went wrong with the unit, and it took a month and a half for him to return to fix it. During that time the system ran strictly on back up heat so our first bill was well over $300 and the technicians I called to complain to said we should never see a bill over $300. I was told this is a very efficient unit and still continue to have high heating bills. We should have stayed with our fuel oil heating system, that way we know it will cost a lot to heat our home. Instead we bought a unit that was presented and being very efficient and cost saving to us. I would never recommend this product to anyone.

Date created: 2008-11-18 Name: B. Cussons
Location: Cooperstown, ND

"Coleman Heat Pump"
My system imploded the third year. The fan blades came loose and went into the internal part of the system ruining most everything. It was still on warranty but the company would not replace the unit. Instead they would rebuild the entire unit and charge shipping and labor, all this would not be covered for future problems. The end result was that it would cost me two thirds as much as buying a new unit and they would not warranty the replacement parts. Poor company do not consider this company when considering a heat pump.

Date created: 2008-06-15 Name: Gary Walchshauser
Location: Knoxville, TN

"This is a contractor special"
Trouble from day one! Electronic problems would lock out compressor. Had a wrong orifice in it that caused heating problems when new. Leaked freon. Backup heaters burned up on coldest day of year..........