Consumer Reviews of Coleman heat pumps

Read more about Coleman heat pumps

Date created: 2009-05-20 Name: Sam. C

"Happy for 6 years"
I have had a Coleman heat pump for over 6 years and I love how quiet it is. The problem is that next door, their heat pump is so loud that it drowns out mine, and it is over 30 ft away

Date created: 2009-05-16 Name: C. Anderson

"Hot air"
I had a Trane heat pump in my old house for the last 6 years, it worked ok but it was always cold. My new Coleman has much hotter air then my trane.

Date created: 2009-05-16 Name: Larry. M

"Quiet!!!!"
I bought a Coleman 18 seer heat pump last year and it is quiet. I cant hear my heat pump at 10 ft away.

Date created: 2009-02-19 Name: D. O'Mara
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Coleman/Evcon"
I had two Coleman Heat pumps installed in 1995, as part of a remodeling w/addition. The larger unit is a 14 seer, scroll compressor type. Both units have operated fine, with minimal service calls. What I didn't know then was how important the existing ductwork can be, since we were replacing an electric furnace with the 14 seer unit. It's noisy, since heat pumps need to move a lot of volume. Couldn't do much about that, however, since it would involve tearing open walls and ceilings to upgrade ducts.

Date created: 2009-02-12 Name: H Anderson
Location: Minnesota

"First winter in Minnesota"
In the fall of 08 I installed a Colmane heat pump. It worked for 2 months. It is now Feb. and I find out the units has not run all winter. (I have off peak electic) just now figure out it was not running, and the mfg. says "Oh yey, we have some trouble with them you need a upgrade kit to make it run. We thought we fixed the problem but now we know they need to be upgraded. Don't buy these units...

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: J Cotter
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Coleman heat pump"
Coleman 2Ton model T.H.E. 14 Seer unit. Heating was main concern for me, so purchased this unit based on cop for heating. Good points: Copeland scroll compressor Demand defrost High and Low limits Very silent operation txv valves Weak points: Poor electronic control at the balance point due to "dumb" thermostat and electronics, I have since modified and improved this. Only failures in 11 years have been the outdoor fan motor and indoor control board. All other failures can be traced back to improper installation

Date created: 2009-01-02 Name: D. Fuhrman
Location: Concordia, MO

"Very costly, non saving unit"
We bought 5 ton Coleman heat pump 3 years ago and this has been a very costly mistake. It started out with the installation of the unit. The installer hooked it up and 5 days later something went wrong with the unit, and it took a month and a half for him to return to fix it. During that time the system ran strictly on back up heat so our first bill was well over $300 and the technicians I called to complain to said we should never see a bill over $300. I was told this is a very efficient unit and still continue to have high heating bills. We should have stayed with our fuel oil heating system, that way we know it will cost a lot to heat our home. Instead we bought a unit that was presented and being very efficient and cost saving to us. I would never recommend this product to anyone.

Date created: 2008-11-18 Name: B. Cussons
Location: Cooperstown, ND

"Coleman Heat Pump"
My system imploded the third year. The fan blades came loose and went into the internal part of the system ruining most everything. It was still on warranty but the company would not replace the unit. Instead they would rebuild the entire unit and charge shipping and labor, all this would not be covered for future problems. The end result was that it would cost me two thirds as much as buying a new unit and they would not warranty the replacement parts. Poor company do not consider this company when considering a heat pump.

Date created: 2008-06-15 Name: Gary Walchshauser
Location: Knoxville, TN

"This is a contractor special"
Trouble from day one! Electronic problems would lock out compressor. Had a wrong orifice in it that caused heating problems when new. Leaked freon. Backup heaters burned up on coldest day of year..........

Date created: 2007-07-25 Name: Jared
Location: Sioux Falls, SD

I replaced a old Sears Kenmoore A/C that was designed in 1982 with the new Echelon 3S heat pump with a GM9S 92% EFF gas furnace, the gas furnace handler works better then the old unit even has a high EFF motor performace factor, however my doubts on the Heat pump make me feel short handed, granted the old unit struggled at 95 degree days with high humidity outside, 80 inside 42% humidity, I had reasonable hopes this unit would deliver 72 degrees no problem, not exactly, the pump held strongest at 75 degrees 50% humidity with reasonable cycling, where the old unit never got this low it ran all the time sometimes 10 hours before cycling on hot days, however the humidity was low but temp was high inside. Fan design on the consenser is weak, the blade flattened as rpm increased, I positioned the fan just right in the cowl shroud and bent all blade cups up some while keeping the tips level so the blades flattened yet but to the original fan blade design while motor was not on, this helped achieved design CFM, also followed the installation manual and dropped indoor CFM to 375 per ton coil, tech had it set at 1600cfm on a 900 CFM max duct work. Also when installing a new pump always clean the fins on the condenser, techs forget, the factory has a tendancy to leave oils on the coil. My unit was dirty in weeks. Overall the system is good and better then what I had. Not satisfied but not upset either.