Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2011-03-24 Location: Lineville, AL

"Overall great heat pump."
We have had this heat pump for a few years now and it works great. We have only had one or two problems with it, but that is how it goes with anything. It has kept us very warm this last winter, as it has been freezing cold. The best thing about this heat pump is how low maintenance it is. The people that installed it have been very good to come check it whenever we call and say something is wrong. It is very quiet and keeps the house warm all winter long. If someone were to ask my opinion I would recommend this brand and model any time. I do not believe that this heat pump will need to be replaced for quite a few years, so for now this is all I can tell you about it. It is a great model and we have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Date created: 2011-03-23 Name: Julia Lagueux
Location: North Carolina

"29 year survivor"
The original carrier heat pump installed in our house 29 years ago finally died. The compress went out and we are in the process of evaluating a replacement unit. The carrier gave us great service for 29 years, it will be difficult to be convinced of a different brand with the life of serivce we experienced.

Date created: 2011-02-23 Name: C Sam
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Noisy defrost cycle?!"
I bought a townhouse and installed a new Carrier in 2008 and had no problem for 2 years. This winter, every hor or so when the auxiliary heat kicks on, it makes a noise like it's going to explode. Ive had them out twice and neithr of the could induce the noise, yet they tell me it's the defrost cycle that happens every 60 minutes of run time - that the new gas (not freon) is under such high pressure and it reverses directions. I keep waiting for the neighbors to complain as this happens all night long when temps are below 40. Any way to get an answer from Carrier as to whether this is "normal" or not? Am I in for a nightmare? Even buried under our 4 feet of snow last year it never made a sound.

Date created: 2011-02-17 Name: bonnie jean mullin
Location: Pierrefonds, Quebec

"Pruchased in 2008"
I bought a carrier thermal pump in 2008. I have had l5 visit to repair this unit for various reasons. I was told by the sales respresentative that I buying the best. I have never been more disappoined with both this product and sears, where the unit was purchased. So far the top grill had to be replaced, the compresser, the filter. I had very little heat in the house, when the technician came.he told me the unit was without freon. and, he found another problem, bearings on the fan were in need of change, this was repaired only to be told that the coil was blocked.....and the "lack of freon" which was diagnosed one month earlier was mis diagnosed., in fact the problem was a blocked coil. It will be the fiftenth time tomorrow that the technician will be in my home. I am furious, disappointed and feel that i am being treated horrible. This unit should have been taken out of my home. I will never buy another carrier product not will i ever buy another item from sears. I have contacted a lawyer.

Date created: 2011-02-10 Name: N.Brumbelow
Location: Atlanta, GA

"What a lemon"
I purchased an entire Carrier heating and cooling system 3 years ago. I have had nothing but problems. The outside unit is now frosting over and not heating the house as it should. My electric bill is sky-high. I had a Bryant for 20 years with NO problems. When they (Heating & cooling technician) said I should put in a Carrier I thought I was getting a superior product. What a laugh.

Date created: 2011-01-30 Name: L Bedford
Location: Newton,N.C.

"Noisy Carrier"
Well, it's 4:07 am and I'm awake because my new carrier heat pump sounds like a helicoptor beside my house. Installed pump in July when my Trane went out after 22 years, our temps were about 100 degrees and had to do something in a hurry. The guy sold me on the carrier and it's quality so I let him install it. Wish I had time to do some checking into. My house had a carrier when I moved in and it was nothing but trouble I should have learned then. They have been out twice for the noise and said OH! they compressor is noisy on the carrier much more than Trane. Wished I had known before hand,can't afford another one now. Looking into getting a couple edenpure heaters before next winter.

Date created: 2011-01-27 Name: Steve
Location: Central Florida

"Infinity"
I bought the Infinity 20 seer A/C system with electric heat. I live in FL so I dont need the heat much, This system has been the most reliable that I have ever owned. You can not even hear it running until you get very close to it. I have learned a lor from my neighbor though, he purchased same systm from another contractor that did not replace the copper lines that run from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit. This is apparently very important to do. Carrier recommends it but he tried to save some money. Also, his static pressure was double mine. Not sure what that is but was told that over .5 is not good for the compressor. Awesome system! 10yr parts and labor too.

Date created: 2011-01-18 Name: E. Chandler
Location: Spartanburg, SC

"Water source heat pump"
The evaporator coil started leaking freon. The unit has been running less than 5 years. The cost of replacing the coil is about as much as what I paid for the whole unit new. The last heat pump lasted 14 years with no problems. Carrier will not even replace coil because it only has a 1 year warranty. What kind of material are they making the coils out of? Must be crap! It is a shame that we have to buy extended warranties to cover their shoddy materials which cause manufacture defects. I recommend people buying only heat pumps with long warranties.

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: C. Hayden
Location: Washington

"Carrier Heat Pump/Air Cleaner Unit"
I had HUD review the needs for the house at construction before investing in the Carrier heat pump, air conditioning, air cleaning unit. The Carrier unit started having issues after less than a year. The contractor who was recommened by Carrier for install ended up closing shop shortly after I had it installed and I was having all kinds of issues. So no service warranty. Tried another recommended servicer from their site they cost me a fortune and even disconnected my emergency heat on the coldest days of the year. So far I have invested thousands when the unit. I have had to replaced most of the major parts that should work perfectly in a quality product. Contacted Carrier with repair receipts etc. Got no response.

Date created: 2011-01-14 Name: K. Dorang
Location: Merritt Island, FL

"AC repair is a racket today"
The house has 5 ton and 3 ton Carrier heat pumps installed in 2003. Evaporator on the 3 ton unit sprung a leak about a year ago. That should never happen but I fixed it myself so no big deal. Now the top of the accumulator on the 5 ton unit rusted out and the loss of refrigerant locked up the compressor. Replaced the accumulator myself and called the original installer to replace the compressor. Here's where it gets interesting. The original installer tells me the compressor is covered under warranty but the labor will be $1000! I should have asked if they're smoking crack. Carrier tells me the $500 compressor only had a 5 year warranty so it's out of warranty now. Could it be that the original installer is lying to me and charging $1000 because they have to buy a compressor too? Yep, that's the way it looks to me. I think I'll just go get a $500 compressor in put it in myself. I feel sorry for the average joe homeowner who doesn't know a condenser from a hole in the ground.