Consumer Reviews of Carrier heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Carrier heat pumps

Date created: 2011-08-01 Name: J Short
Location: Berea, KY

"Lemon!"
This Carrier unit has been a disaster since day one! We have had numerous repairs and our service company has really tried, but the heat-pump is a lemon. It works in the winter but not in the summer. Most summers, it goes down in June and they work on it all summer, finally getting it fixed about September. The next summer it is down again for most of the summer. We bought back up window units to survive. Today was the last straw--needs another board (I think this makes 7-8) and a compressor plus another part. Compressor is still under warranty but still will be $1200. We are going to junk it and cut our losses -- buy a new system, but a different brand unless Carrier gives us a new one!

Date created: 2011-07-29 Name: R Buschor
Location: Laurel, MD

"Piece of jumk"
I had my unit for four years and had service calls on at least 15 times within the last 4 years. Always breaking down during peak winter months and peak summer months. The unit, which was supposed to be bigger than I need can't heat or cool my house adequately. It runs constantly, just sucking up that electricity. It just broke again during the last heat wave in 07/11, flooded my basement, a condensation drain issue. Not the first either, and I clean the stupid thing every 6 months. I expected more and got less, I paid more and got less. It took me years to talk my wife into replacing our system and probably should have left the old one.
Date created: 2011-07-21 Name: D Huggins
Location: Tampa , Florida

"Home Owner"
I have constantly had repairmen working on my unit. It seems that each time a different problem comes up: heat exchanger leaks and rusts; several condensers replaced; leaking lines, etc. Do not listen to the sales pitch on this product, it is a total loser. Trying to talk to Carrier personnel is like talking to a wall. They pass you from one person to another, hoping to discourage you from calling. never again with Carrier................
Date created: 2011-07-21 Name: M. Stephens
Location: Lima Ohio

"Quit blaming manufacturers"
Do any of you ever stop to think that all this refrigerant you guys still call freon which was only a brand name of refrigerant back in the 80's leaking out is due to what we in the HVAC field call a poor installation? Quit calling it freon they don't even make it anymore its simply refrigerant....and a system should not leak especially the coils unless improperly installed so quit blaming the manufacturers and start looking at your installer.
Date created: 2011-07-08 Name: R. Fowler
Location: Chandler, AZ

"Very Reliable"
I'm not sure what model Carrier heat pump we had. It was on our house (new) when we bought it 17 years ago. We never had one minute's problem with this product, not a single service call. It finally failed a couple of weeks ago and we replaced it with another brand that was much more expensive (and "hyped"). If it turns out to be even close to as good as the Carrier was, I'll be pleased. We get temperatures of 120 here in the Arizona desert, so it had to be reliable. I'm having second thoughts about getting a different brand, that old Carrier really lasted!
Date created: 2011-06-06 Name: Sharon Jones
Location: McLean, VA

"Carrier Heat Pump"
After 5.75 years a very expensive switch has gone out. Carrier refuses to pay any part of it and - of course - it is just out of warranty. It is reasonable to expect that a unit of this significance would last 20 years, not 5.
Date created: 2011-06-02 Name: Cubgirl
Location: Alabama

"DO NOT BUY CARRIER - THEIR AIR HANDLERS LEAK!!!"
Don't buy carrier!!! They are known for h2o leaking from air handler! Less than two years ago, I bought a brand new 3.5t Carrier Heat Pump (r- 410) and a 3.5t air handler, fixed speed. First, this unit is loud. Second, the air handler leaks. I spent $7k buying and installing this (overpriced) and since then, I've replaced the carpet in my dining room and replaced the laminate in the kitchen. I put tile in all over the downstairs, at great expense. I've spent thousands on new flooring because the indoor air handler keeps leaking! It's leaking again. I've spent money putting in new supply ducts and putting in pvc drain tubes, all with no luck. This unit has cost me > $15k overall. I am so tired of trying to get it to quit leaking that I am ripping it out, sending it back to Carrier and installing Mini-Splits all around the house. There will be no leaks and they will be quiet. Shame on you Carrier!
Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: F. Bender
Location: Birmingham, AL

"Don't Even Consider a Carrier!"
If there was a very very unsatisfied I would have chosen it! The unit was very noisy from day one. We have had almost yearly repairs required above and beyond semi-annual maintanence totaling over $2500 over the eight years we've had it. Service call again today is it's death nell. It will take another $1000 to fix this problem. Enough is enough. We are spending the money to replace it instead of dealing with the constant financial headaches and deafening noise. The repair technician had the gall to suggest another Carrier. He's being replaced too!
Date created: 2011-05-06 Location: Phenix, Va

"The Hands Down Best Heat Pump"
I have owned the Carrier Infinity heat pump for 5 years. This is hands down the best heat pump I have ever owned or serviced. I am a professional in the heat pump field and I have seen many brands that simply fall below the standards of acceptability. I love everything about it from its sleek looks to its undisputed warranty and service records. Its high energy efficiency does not bother me either. There is nothing to dislike about this effective, efficient beauty. I have never had to repeir it, but I have received yearly calls from a Carrier representative that wants to know how my unit is doing. I always tell them it is just fine and that is that. I would highly recommend the Carrier model Infinity to any new home buyer or people that are replacing their old, unefficient unit. Carrier has always been a brand I have trusted, and everything they make seems to be fashioned out of some sort of gold that does not tarnish. Thank you Carrier.
Date created: 2011-04-23 Name: angela s
Location: alexandria, va

"Never a problem"
I have a 13 year old townhouse, and the Carrier is the model that was installed in 98. It has never given us a problem. Could have been loud, but we don't use our first floor and never hear it. I haven't had a problem in 13 years except to add freon. Well, the coil finally gave out [a leak], but 13 years is not bad. Now I have to get a new system with puron, and I am getting a new carrier so I am praying I don't have problems.