Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2011-06-02 Name: Cubgirl
Location: Alabama

"DO NOT BUY CARRIER - THEIR AIR HANDLERS LEAK!!!"
Don't buy carrier!!! They are known for h2o leaking from air handler! Less than two years ago, I bought a brand new 3.5t Carrier Heat Pump (r- 410) and a 3.5t air handler, fixed speed. First, this unit is loud. Second, the air handler leaks. I spent $7k buying and installing this (overpriced) and since then, I've replaced the carpet in my dining room and replaced the laminate in the kitchen. I put tile in all over the downstairs, at great expense. I've spent thousands on new flooring because the indoor air handler keeps leaking! It's leaking again. I've spent money putting in new supply ducts and putting in pvc drain tubes, all with no luck. This unit has cost me > $15k overall. I am so tired of trying to get it to quit leaking that I am ripping it out, sending it back to Carrier and installing Mini-Splits all around the house. There will be no leaks and they will be quiet. Shame on you Carrier!

Date created: 2011-05-12 Name: F. Bender
Location: Birmingham, AL

"Don't Even Consider a Carrier!"
If there was a very very unsatisfied I would have chosen it! The unit was very noisy from day one. We have had almost yearly repairs required above and beyond semi-annual maintanence totaling over $2500 over the eight years we've had it. Service call again today is it's death nell. It will take another $1000 to fix this problem. Enough is enough. We are spending the money to replace it instead of dealing with the constant financial headaches and deafening noise. The repair technician had the gall to suggest another Carrier. He's being replaced too!

Date created: 2011-05-06 Location: Phenix, Va

"The Hands Down Best Heat Pump"
I have owned the Carrier Infinity heat pump for 5 years. This is hands down the best heat pump I have ever owned or serviced. I am a professional in the heat pump field and I have seen many brands that simply fall below the standards of acceptability. I love everything about it from its sleek looks to its undisputed warranty and service records. Its high energy efficiency does not bother me either. There is nothing to dislike about this effective, efficient beauty. I have never had to repeir it, but I have received yearly calls from a Carrier representative that wants to know how my unit is doing. I always tell them it is just fine and that is that. I would highly recommend the Carrier model Infinity to any new home buyer or people that are replacing their old, unefficient unit. Carrier has always been a brand I have trusted, and everything they make seems to be fashioned out of some sort of gold that does not tarnish. Thank you Carrier.

Date created: 2011-04-23 Name: angela s
Location: alexandria, va

"Never a problem"
I have a 13 year old townhouse, and the Carrier is the model that was installed in 98. It has never given us a problem. Could have been loud, but we don't use our first floor and never hear it. I haven't had a problem in 13 years except to add freon. Well, the coil finally gave out [a leak], but 13 years is not bad. Now I have to get a new system with puron, and I am getting a new carrier so I am praying I don't have problems.

Date created: 2011-04-19 Location: Richmond, Virginia

"Carrier 38ycb024310 Review"
This heat pump has served me well for several years. In the middle of last Summer, I found that the heat pump wasn't doing a very good job keeping the house especially cool and the system was constantly running. It wasn't a very warm couple of days, so I figured there was something wrong. I called a technician to come take a look at the heat pump and he said that the only problem was that the system was low on coolant. The technician said that he couldn't find a leak, and suggested that it was a possibility that someone may have tampered with the unit. After the technician topped the system up with coolant, I haven't experienced the issue again. I do have a few minor complaints about this Carrier system. Firstly, the thermostat is awfully simplistic. I'm thinking about buying a replacement thermostat with additional features. Another complaint I have is that the heat exchanger unit outside my house occasionally makes a fast, loud banging noise. Making very minor adjustments to the thermostat seems to stop the noise, so I suspect when I replace the thermostat the problem will go away by itself. I would buy this brand again and I would also recommend this brand to a friend.

Date created: 2011-04-12 Name: W. Gammon
Location: Chickamauga, GA

"Don't Buy Carrier"
This is my second Carrier unit, the first failed in 5 years, compressor. This one has never held refrigerant more than six months. In 10 years of ownership almost $3000 in repairs, one fan was covered by warranty the rest is refrigerant and service calls. Carrier would not sell a parts AND labor warranty, don't even think about Carrier. Just had it recharged again today, $205 for service call and 4lbs of 410A.

Date created: 2011-03-24 Location: Lineville, AL

"Overall great heat pump."
We have had this heat pump for a few years now and it works great. We have only had one or two problems with it, but that is how it goes with anything. It has kept us very warm this last winter, as it has been freezing cold. The best thing about this heat pump is how low maintenance it is. The people that installed it have been very good to come check it whenever we call and say something is wrong. It is very quiet and keeps the house warm all winter long. If someone were to ask my opinion I would recommend this brand and model any time. I do not believe that this heat pump will need to be replaced for quite a few years, so for now this is all I can tell you about it. It is a great model and we have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Date created: 2011-03-23 Name: Julia Lagueux
Location: North Carolina

"29 year survivor"
The original carrier heat pump installed in our house 29 years ago finally died. The compress went out and we are in the process of evaluating a replacement unit. The carrier gave us great service for 29 years, it will be difficult to be convinced of a different brand with the life of serivce we experienced.

Date created: 2011-02-23 Name: C Sam
Location: Annapolis, MD

"Noisy defrost cycle?!"
I bought a townhouse and installed a new Carrier in 2008 and had no problem for 2 years. This winter, every hor or so when the auxiliary heat kicks on, it makes a noise like it's going to explode. Ive had them out twice and neithr of the could induce the noise, yet they tell me it's the defrost cycle that happens every 60 minutes of run time - that the new gas (not freon) is under such high pressure and it reverses directions. I keep waiting for the neighbors to complain as this happens all night long when temps are below 40. Any way to get an answer from Carrier as to whether this is "normal" or not? Am I in for a nightmare? Even buried under our 4 feet of snow last year it never made a sound.

Date created: 2011-02-17 Name: bonnie jean mullin
Location: Pierrefonds, Quebec

"Pruchased in 2008"
I bought a carrier thermal pump in 2008. I have had l5 visit to repair this unit for various reasons. I was told by the sales respresentative that I buying the best. I have never been more disappoined with both this product and sears, where the unit was purchased. So far the top grill had to be replaced, the compresser, the filter. I had very little heat in the house, when the technician came.he told me the unit was without freon. and, he found another problem, bearings on the fan were in need of change, this was repaired only to be told that the coil was blocked.....and the "lack of freon" which was diagnosed one month earlier was mis diagnosed., in fact the problem was a blocked coil. It will be the fiftenth time tomorrow that the technician will be in my home. I am furious, disappointed and feel that i am being treated horrible. This unit should have been taken out of my home. I will never buy another carrier product not will i ever buy another item from sears. I have contacted a lawyer.