Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2012-05-28 Name: Pat Simmons
Location: Coatesville, PA

"26 Year Old Heat Pump"
My 26 year old heat pump is having a problem today and since it is such an old unit, I decided I'd better start looking since I am probably on borrowed time. After reading some reviews, I decided to post one of my own. Many times people post a review because they are having a problem. I decided to post one since I never did. The Carrier heat pump was installed in my new home in 1987. It has been great!!! I hope the new units are made as well. I will keep reading reviews of other brands but I cannot say anything negative about Carrier. I will probably go with another if it's time.

Date created: 2012-05-01 Name: John Craft
Location: Hatfield, PA

"New Infinity Heat Pump - Needs Parts Already"
Just bought a brand new 3-ton Carrier Infinity Heat Pump (model 25hnb636) and variable speed blower unit (model fe4anf003). Upon installation it was determined that the fan motor was malfunctioning so the installer is ordering a new part. Meanwhile, I am told to run my heat off of the supplemental emergency heat. The Infinity thermostat also had a problem with the hold button staying in the pressed-in position and not retracting. Therefore I am also getting a new thermostat. Needless to say I do not have that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling yet from having a brand new Heat Pump system! I rated the system as neutral pending the install of the replacement parts. I will update this review after the new parts are installed and operating for a sufficient period of time.

Date created: 2012-02-04 Name: G Miller
Location: Kalama,wa

"Carrier crap! warranty? You're kidding right."
If anyone rates a carrier product anything more than totally unsatisfied than they(1) haven't owned it long enough. (2) never turn it on and thus will never have a problem. Or (3) are just absolutely lucky. But as I have come to know in my 50 years on this planet luck doesn't keep you warm and neither does a carrier heat pump, for very long anyway. I would considr s Dyer of west virginia to be lucky. His sounds like one of the better ones. I just had a service tech tell me that my third compressor is bad. My unit has had ever movingAnd Most of the stationary parts replace at least once and I say at least because most have been replaced more than that. I have paid more in electricity costs because the thing runs most of the time on backup heat strips than it would have cost me to buy a new trane heat pump and air handler unit but who has that kind of money these days. I have never gone a whole heating season or cooling for that matter without the heat pump taking a crap on me and if you can count that's twice a year. I once called carrier about there warranty and apon not getting a satisfactory answer asked to speak to a manager and was told by the rep no they will just tell you the same thing and was then hung up on.all in all I would say if you read this and then purchase one of carriers products then I hope you have deeper pockets than I do . And if you are paying for your unit with credit then you might want to take out a bitt more cash and set it aside for that rainy day because boy it sure is comming.

Date created: 2011-12-29 Name: S DYER
Location: MARTINSBURG WEST VIRGINIA

"Repairs cost mounting"
September 2005 house new installed 2 units 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton heat pumps. 2008 small unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part but labor,freon, evack and recharge cost me 320.00. January 2010 large unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part again but this time labor,freon,evack and recharge cost me 410.00. December 2011 on the large unit the compressor is gone, its now out of warranty, to repair technician says its 1800.00 for new compressor, freon, evack, recharge, and his labor. Now I ask you does this sound like carrier is a quality product or not! What a nightmare! If carrier thinks they have quality products why don't they back them 100 percent with a parts and labor warranty. To me with all I've been through with this, carrier quality is third rate, carrier warranty is third rate, carrier parts used is third rate probably from Vietnam but they will probably tell you made in USA but then if you read all of this, you would come to the conclusion yeh they will tell you anything just to pacify you to buy there products. Buyer beware don't say I did not warn you. Never again for me as the old saying goes smart people learn from there mistakes and this is one of mine!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-12-02 Location: Nashville, TN

"How much heat can a heat pump heat?"
We've owned this particular heat pump for 2 years and love it because of it's efficiency. We moved into the house and it had a builder's grade heat pump installed and the unit only lasted about 7 years with various service calls on the back up or resistance heat unit. Because of the numberous service calls we decided to replace the builder's grade unit with a Carrier because of their great reputation when it comes to service and efficiency. We have recommended Carrier to our neighbors who also had builder grade units installed and which are beginning to fail. I believe that not only because of the great reputation Carrier has but also the great reputation their dealer and contractors have our neighbors will switch to Carrier. The unit works great in the southern region. We also had a heat pump when we lived in the north and it was not cost efficient which is where the following was created: How much heat can a heat pump pump, if a heat pump could pump heat?

Date created: 2011-11-11 Name: Larry mitchell
Location: Ocala

"It's not carrier"
I have been an a/c technician for 24 years, I own a two stage carrier heat pump (4 ton) I have found in many cases that if a problem occurs with your heat pump system it is due to your install contractor. Is your duct work sized properly? Was your line set properly evacuated? In many cases your system is not sized correctly. Quit blaming the manufacture and find a good contractor...it is a fact that most new systems use the same parts including compressors.

Date created: 2011-08-29 Name: Brad P.

"Great Unit!"
Bought an old house with new Carrier condenser heat pump and air handler and it is very nice. Cool air, low humidity, and a nice house to walk into during summer.

Date created: 2011-08-26 Name: S Maccormack
Location: Moneta Va.

"Carrier warranty cost me $1100.00 in under three years"
Carrier warranty is worth nothing when a service technician tell you this happens all the time. Their warranty covers their low quality parts and kills you with labor cost they must get a kick back from their Dealers! A heat pump in the up stairs of my house that was seldom used only 3 years old replaced both indoor and out door coils under warranty and cost me $1100.00 in labor.

Date created: 2011-08-15 Name: N. Conlen

"Beware"
This is the second heat pump we have had in 23 years and this is the last Carrier we will ever buy!! We have had about 2 thousand dollars in repairs in 10 years, the repairman says the insulation is dropping down and blocking the fan, that happened twice, also the relays burned out twice in 2 years and we were stuck twice now with 600.00 dollar electric bills. We also feel like this heat pump is a money pit, one that people on fixed income cannot afford!

Date created: 2011-08-01 Name: J Short
Location: Berea, KY

"Lemon!"
This Carrier unit has been a disaster since day one! We have had numerous repairs and our service company has really tried, but the heat-pump is a lemon. It works in the winter but not in the summer. Most summers, it goes down in June and they work on it all summer, finally getting it fixed about September. The next summer it is down again for most of the summer. We bought back up window units to survive. Today was the last straw--needs another board (I think this makes 7-8) and a compressor plus another part. Compressor is still under warranty but still will be $1200. We are going to junk it and cut our losses -- buy a new system, but a different brand unless Carrier gives us a new one!