Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2012-05-28 Name: Pat Simmons
Location: Coatesville, PA

"26 Year Old Heat Pump"
My 26 year old heat pump is having a problem today and since it is such an old unit, I decided I'd better start looking since I am probably on borrowed time. After reading some reviews, I decided to post one of my own. Many times people post a review because they are having a problem. I decided to post one since I never did. The Carrier heat pump was installed in my new home in 1987. It has been great!!! I hope the new units are made as well. I will keep reading reviews of other brands but I cannot say anything negative about Carrier. I will probably go with another if it's time.

Date created: 2012-02-04 Name: G Miller
Location: Kalama,wa

"Carrier crap! warranty? You're kidding right."
If anyone rates a carrier product anything more than totally unsatisfied than they(1) haven't owned it long enough. (2) never turn it on and thus will never have a problem. Or (3) are just absolutely lucky. But as I have come to know in my 50 years on this planet luck doesn't keep you warm and neither does a carrier heat pump, for very long anyway. I would considr s Dyer of west virginia to be lucky. His sounds like one of the better ones. I just had a service tech tell me that my third compressor is bad. My unit has had ever movingAnd Most of the stationary parts replace at least once and I say at least because most have been replaced more than that. I have paid more in electricity costs because the thing runs most of the time on backup heat strips than it would have cost me to buy a new trane heat pump and air handler unit but who has that kind of money these days. I have never gone a whole heating season or cooling for that matter without the heat pump taking a crap on me and if you can count that's twice a year. I once called carrier about there warranty and apon not getting a satisfactory answer asked to speak to a manager and was told by the rep no they will just tell you the same thing and was then hung up on.all in all I would say if you read this and then purchase one of carriers products then I hope you have deeper pockets than I do . And if you are paying for your unit with credit then you might want to take out a bitt more cash and set it aside for that rainy day because boy it sure is comming.

Date created: 2011-12-29 Name: S DYER
Location: MARTINSBURG WEST VIRGINIA

"Repairs cost mounting"
September 2005 house new installed 2 units 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton heat pumps. 2008 small unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part but labor,freon, evack and recharge cost me 320.00. January 2010 large unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part again but this time labor,freon,evack and recharge cost me 410.00. December 2011 on the large unit the compressor is gone, its now out of warranty, to repair technician says its 1800.00 for new compressor, freon, evack, recharge, and his labor. Now I ask you does this sound like carrier is a quality product or not! What a nightmare! If carrier thinks they have quality products why don't they back them 100 percent with a parts and labor warranty. To me with all I've been through with this, carrier quality is third rate, carrier warranty is third rate, carrier parts used is third rate probably from Vietnam but they will probably tell you made in USA but then if you read all of this, you would come to the conclusion yeh they will tell you anything just to pacify you to buy there products. Buyer beware don't say I did not warn you. Never again for me as the old saying goes smart people learn from there mistakes and this is one of mine!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-11-11 Name: Larry mitchell
Location: Ocala

"It's not carrier"
I have been an a/c technician for 24 years, I own a two stage carrier heat pump (4 ton) I have found in many cases that if a problem occurs with your heat pump system it is due to your install contractor. Is your duct work sized properly? Was your line set properly evacuated? In many cases your system is not sized correctly. Quit blaming the manufacture and find a good contractor...it is a fact that most new systems use the same parts including compressors.

Date created: 2011-08-29 Name: Brad P.

"Great Unit!"
Bought an old house with new Carrier condenser heat pump and air handler and it is very nice. Cool air, low humidity, and a nice house to walk into during summer.

Date created: 2011-08-26 Name: S Maccormack
Location: Moneta Va.

"Carrier warranty cost me $1100.00 in under three years"
Carrier warranty is worth nothing when a service technician tell you this happens all the time. Their warranty covers their low quality parts and kills you with labor cost they must get a kick back from their Dealers! A heat pump in the up stairs of my house that was seldom used only 3 years old replaced both indoor and out door coils under warranty and cost me $1100.00 in labor.

Date created: 2011-08-15 Name: N. Conlen

"Beware"
This is the second heat pump we have had in 23 years and this is the last Carrier we will ever buy!! We have had about 2 thousand dollars in repairs in 10 years, the repairman says the insulation is dropping down and blocking the fan, that happened twice, also the relays burned out twice in 2 years and we were stuck twice now with 600.00 dollar electric bills. We also feel like this heat pump is a money pit, one that people on fixed income cannot afford!

Date created: 2011-08-01 Name: J Short
Location: Berea, KY

"Lemon!"
This Carrier unit has been a disaster since day one! We have had numerous repairs and our service company has really tried, but the heat-pump is a lemon. It works in the winter but not in the summer. Most summers, it goes down in June and they work on it all summer, finally getting it fixed about September. The next summer it is down again for most of the summer. We bought back up window units to survive. Today was the last straw--needs another board (I think this makes 7-8) and a compressor plus another part. Compressor is still under warranty but still will be $1200. We are going to junk it and cut our losses -- buy a new system, but a different brand unless Carrier gives us a new one!

Date created: 2011-07-29 Name: R Buschor
Location: Laurel, MD

"Piece of jumk"
I had my unit for four years and had service calls on at least 15 times within the last 4 years. Always breaking down during peak winter months and peak summer months. The unit, which was supposed to be bigger than I need can't heat or cool my house adequately. It runs constantly, just sucking up that electricity. It just broke again during the last heat wave in 07/11, flooded my basement, a condensation drain issue. Not the first either, and I clean the stupid thing every 6 months. I expected more and got less, I paid more and got less. It took me years to talk my wife into replacing our system and probably should have left the old one.

Date created: 2011-07-21 Name: D Huggins
Location: Tampa , Florida

"Home Owner"
I have constantly had repairmen working on my unit. It seems that each time a different problem comes up: heat exchanger leaks and rusts; several condensers replaced; leaking lines, etc. Do not listen to the sales pitch on this product, it is a total loser. Trying to talk to Carrier personnel is like talking to a wall. They pass you from one person to another, hoping to discourage you from calling. never again with Carrier................