Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2012-08-01 Name: Bob P.
Location: Eustis FL

"Carrier known for BAD customer service"
I had two hvac units installed two years ago. The first one leaked water on the floor the week it was turned on. The second one leaked water about a year later. The service rep in Eustis Florida could not find anything wrong despite trails of wetness from under the unit and down the walls. Carrier simply said to try another dealer for better advice. I expected more for my $14,000 investment(Plus 10 year gold warranty!) It may be that the equipment is OK but not functioning because of the knowledge, skills and attitudes of the service installer. These people are trade-oriented types who seem to learn on the job and seldom have sufficient information to share with the customer as part of their service orientation. I suppose that when you do this type of work every day you get set in your ways. The Carrier literature would have you believe otherwise and they promote a fanciful picture that is quite different from what I found in the field. I clearly have a problem somewhere with the system and it could be as simple as NOT checking for an open pipe to carry away the condensate if it overflows. I paid for annual inspections but this service was never done to my knowledge and the dealer will not respond. It must be an acceptable process to offer such horrible customer support. Carrier needs new leadership or be prepared for further decline. Carrier manufactures these units and is stuck with the quality of managers and techies available at the local level. I believe that this is where most installations get the seeds for destruction. Worse, Carrier is unable or unwilling to get any control over these independent contractors leaving a customer on his own for competent help. As for me--I will never try a Carrier HVAC again and do my best to avoid local Carrier dealers in the Eustis Fl area. Been there; done that--NEVER AGAIN!!!

Date created: 2012-07-27 Name: Eric Poston
Location: Midway, KY

"Even odds of getting a good one"
We have two Carrier heat pumps, 38ycc series; both were installed when we built our house six years ago. The 3ton unit for upstairs works great - only problem was a bad capacitor which was replaced under warranty. The 3.5 ton system downstairs is complete other end of the spectrum. Service call at least once a year - this, that and something else. Last summer, it wasn't cooling - repairman checks it and says it was low on r-22, thought it was leaking because he could see residue inside the condenser. Closer inspection, found that two of the lines from the compressor had been run so closely together that they rubbed and wore a hole in the smaller line. Repairman fixed that, and it ran fine until early March this year, when the compressor died. Contacted Carrier, explained the situation, and got the usual: Sorry, your warranty expired six months ago. Never mind that the problem originated before the warranty expired, and was caused by a sloppy build of the outdoor unit - so I'm now on the hook for an expensive repair or replace.

Date created: 2012-07-05 Name: Dissatisfied

"Absolute nightmare! Lemon."
Absolute nightmare! Lemon. 45 days ago and still counting, dealer that is assigned to our warranty was notified to repair unit which is still under waranty. Dealer couldn't fix so said will get district help. he only came out after I called him back. Poor communicatio by dealer. We are now having 100 degree weather and no heat pump to cool with. No regard for the elderly! Calls to both Carrier and dealer brought no avail and still sitting. Last year we had to pay for repairs that should have been covered by warranty as printed on customer protection plan. Also had 'extremely' high electric bills 2 winters in a row.

Date created: 2012-06-20 Name: Jim
Location: Cocoa, FL

"Keep your old central A/C as long as possible"
I'm sure people have put 2 + 2 together and figured out that consumer appliances, especially big ticket items like heat pumps, have dramatically fallen in quality since the Bush Crime Syndicate came to power. Not only did Lord Bush and Viceroy Cheney accelerate the offshoring of American industry, they gutted government standards and consumer advocacy programs that once pressured corporations to maintain acceptable levels of quality. The Era of Ralph Nader is over and it shows. The shoddy quality of HVAC stuff over the past 10-12 years is Corporate America's way of flaunting their new immunity to your pathetic complaints! Shoddy quality is also the sign of a weak and dying economy. People can only afford Goodman crap that's installed by gypsy contractors OR, they buy the equipment off the internet, try the DIY approach, and then blame the manufacturer when it fails. THAT is why some of you, with your reliable 20-30 year old heat pumps, are so surprised when the newer Chinese and Mexican junk gives you so much trouble! I've got a 19 year old Carrier that's still running strong. I hope it will last another 10 at least!

Date created: 2012-05-30 Name: claudia deville-draper
Location: McCordsville, IN

"Don't buy this product"
Our Carrier heat pump came with our new home in December 2005. Since then, we have had to have it service 3 times and now it is gone completely out (whole/leaking in the condensing coil). According to Carrier, the warranty was only for 5 years although the paperwork from our builder and most internet articles indicates a 10 year warranty. Wow, six and a half years life span on something that costs thousands of dollars! You can see why I rated this product as very unsatisfied!!!!

Date created: 2012-05-28 Name: Pat Simmons
Location: Coatesville, PA

"26 Year Old Heat Pump"
My 26 year old heat pump is having a problem today and since it is such an old unit, I decided I'd better start looking since I am probably on borrowed time. After reading some reviews, I decided to post one of my own. Many times people post a review because they are having a problem. I decided to post one since I never did. The Carrier heat pump was installed in my new home in 1987. It has been great!!! I hope the new units are made as well. I will keep reading reviews of other brands but I cannot say anything negative about Carrier. I will probably go with another if it's time.

Date created: 2012-02-04 Name: G Miller
Location: Kalama,wa

"Carrier crap! warranty? You're kidding right."
If anyone rates a carrier product anything more than totally unsatisfied than they(1) haven't owned it long enough. (2) never turn it on and thus will never have a problem. Or (3) are just absolutely lucky. But as I have come to know in my 50 years on this planet luck doesn't keep you warm and neither does a carrier heat pump, for very long anyway. I would considr s Dyer of west virginia to be lucky. His sounds like one of the better ones. I just had a service tech tell me that my third compressor is bad. My unit has had ever movingAnd Most of the stationary parts replace at least once and I say at least because most have been replaced more than that. I have paid more in electricity costs because the thing runs most of the time on backup heat strips than it would have cost me to buy a new trane heat pump and air handler unit but who has that kind of money these days. I have never gone a whole heating season or cooling for that matter without the heat pump taking a crap on me and if you can count that's twice a year. I once called carrier about there warranty and apon not getting a satisfactory answer asked to speak to a manager and was told by the rep no they will just tell you the same thing and was then hung up on.all in all I would say if you read this and then purchase one of carriers products then I hope you have deeper pockets than I do . And if you are paying for your unit with credit then you might want to take out a bitt more cash and set it aside for that rainy day because boy it sure is comming.

Date created: 2011-12-29 Name: S DYER
Location: MARTINSBURG WEST VIRGINIA

"Repairs cost mounting"
September 2005 house new installed 2 units 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton heat pumps. 2008 small unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part but labor,freon, evack and recharge cost me 320.00. January 2010 large unit evaporator went out carrier warrantied the part again but this time labor,freon,evack and recharge cost me 410.00. December 2011 on the large unit the compressor is gone, its now out of warranty, to repair technician says its 1800.00 for new compressor, freon, evack, recharge, and his labor. Now I ask you does this sound like carrier is a quality product or not! What a nightmare! If carrier thinks they have quality products why don't they back them 100 percent with a parts and labor warranty. To me with all I've been through with this, carrier quality is third rate, carrier warranty is third rate, carrier parts used is third rate probably from Vietnam but they will probably tell you made in USA but then if you read all of this, you would come to the conclusion yeh they will tell you anything just to pacify you to buy there products. Buyer beware don't say I did not warn you. Never again for me as the old saying goes smart people learn from there mistakes and this is one of mine!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2011-11-11 Name: Larry mitchell
Location: Ocala

"It's not carrier"
I have been an a/c technician for 24 years, I own a two stage carrier heat pump (4 ton) I have found in many cases that if a problem occurs with your heat pump system it is due to your install contractor. Is your duct work sized properly? Was your line set properly evacuated? In many cases your system is not sized correctly. Quit blaming the manufacture and find a good contractor...it is a fact that most new systems use the same parts including compressors.

Date created: 2011-08-29 Name: Brad P.

"Great Unit!"
Bought an old house with new Carrier condenser heat pump and air handler and it is very nice. Cool air, low humidity, and a nice house to walk into during summer.