Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: b. cobb
Location: hky n.c.

"11 seer"
Can't remember what the old unit was but I believe it was an carrier also, it was 13 years old and was here when the house was new. We replaced it with a new carrier heat pump w/ electric heat, air handler and condenser all new in attic, with outside unit , over 21 years 3 freon fills, 2 electric boards and its not the warmest heat in winter. I would like to have gas heat and central air, but getting old now and will likely just go back to same system, from all the reviews looks like there is good and bad in them all.

Date created: 2012-08-01 Name: Bob P.
Location: Eustis FL

"Carrier known for BAD customer service"
I had two hvac units installed two years ago. The first one leaked water on the floor the week it was turned on. The second one leaked water about a year later. The service rep in Eustis Florida could not find anything wrong despite trails of wetness from under the unit and down the walls. Carrier simply said to try another dealer for better advice. I expected more for my $14,000 investment(Plus 10 year gold warranty!) It may be that the equipment is OK but not functioning because of the knowledge, skills and attitudes of the service installer. These people are trade-oriented types who seem to learn on the job and seldom have sufficient information to share with the customer as part of their service orientation. I suppose that when you do this type of work every day you get set in your ways. The Carrier literature would have you believe otherwise and they promote a fanciful picture that is quite different from what I found in the field. I clearly have a problem somewhere with the system and it could be as simple as NOT checking for an open pipe to carry away the condensate if it overflows. I paid for annual inspections but this service was never done to my knowledge and the dealer will not respond. It must be an acceptable process to offer such horrible customer support. Carrier needs new leadership or be prepared for further decline. Carrier manufactures these units and is stuck with the quality of managers and techies available at the local level. I believe that this is where most installations get the seeds for destruction. Worse, Carrier is unable or unwilling to get any control over these independent contractors leaving a customer on his own for competent help. As for me--I will never try a Carrier HVAC again and do my best to avoid local Carrier dealers in the Eustis Fl area. Been there; done that--NEVER AGAIN!!!

Date created: 2012-07-27 Name: Eric Poston
Location: Midway, KY

"Even odds of getting a good one"
We have two Carrier heat pumps, 38ycc series; both were installed when we built our house six years ago. The 3ton unit for upstairs works great - only problem was a bad capacitor which was replaced under warranty. The 3.5 ton system downstairs is complete other end of the spectrum. Service call at least once a year - this, that and something else. Last summer, it wasn't cooling - repairman checks it and says it was low on r-22, thought it was leaking because he could see residue inside the condenser. Closer inspection, found that two of the lines from the compressor had been run so closely together that they rubbed and wore a hole in the smaller line. Repairman fixed that, and it ran fine until early March this year, when the compressor died. Contacted Carrier, explained the situation, and got the usual: Sorry, your warranty expired six months ago. Never mind that the problem originated before the warranty expired, and was caused by a sloppy build of the outdoor unit - so I'm now on the hook for an expensive repair or replace.

Date created: 2012-07-24 Name: T. Kinsey
Location: Mississippi

"Carrier Infinity Heat Pump"
Units are defective. Purchase 5-ton and 2-ton for new house constructed in 2007. Warranty ran out this month on most of the parts. I have had to have service calls at least 15 times in 4 years. Replaced main compressor, been through 5 computer boards between both units, two new thermostats (understand they cost $800 each when not under warranty), waiting on new multi-speed fan motor for main unit. If you are planning to purchase these units then don'T. They are very poorly designed, power bill averages $500/month in the summer time so they are not very effecient. Big waste of money. I will never own a Carrier product again.

Date created: 2012-07-13 Name: Steve Wilson
Location: Baltimore, MD

"Look elsewhere"
I've come to the conclusion, too late, that this was a mistake. In less than a month it has had 2 problems. My son also had one installed several months ago and has been waiting for more than a week in 100-plus degree temps for a part. I tried to contact Carrier with a question about something the installer said that sounds either hookey or very troublesome. Their reply was to contact the installer or another installer. Bottom line - no such thing as Carrier Customer Service and no faith in their Infinity system on my part. If I had found this site 6 weeks ago, I wouldn't have a Carrier Infinity System waiting to breakdown. If it goes out again, the installer will be told to tear it out at their expense. Luckily, this state has a lemon law.

Date created: 2012-07-05 Name: Dissatisfied

"Absolute nightmare! Lemon."
Absolute nightmare! Lemon. 45 days ago and still counting, dealer that is assigned to our warranty was notified to repair unit which is still under waranty. Dealer couldn't fix so said will get district help. he only came out after I called him back. Poor communicatio by dealer. We are now having 100 degree weather and no heat pump to cool with. No regard for the elderly! Calls to both Carrier and dealer brought no avail and still sitting. Last year we had to pay for repairs that should have been covered by warranty as printed on customer protection plan. Also had 'extremely' high electric bills 2 winters in a row.

Date created: 2012-06-20 Name: Jim
Location: Cocoa, FL

"Keep your old central A/C as long as possible"
I'm sure people have put 2 + 2 together and figured out that consumer appliances, especially big ticket items like heat pumps, have dramatically fallen in quality since the Bush Crime Syndicate came to power. Not only did Lord Bush and Viceroy Cheney accelerate the offshoring of American industry, they gutted government standards and consumer advocacy programs that once pressured corporations to maintain acceptable levels of quality. The Era of Ralph Nader is over and it shows. The shoddy quality of HVAC stuff over the past 10-12 years is Corporate America's way of flaunting their new immunity to your pathetic complaints! Shoddy quality is also the sign of a weak and dying economy. People can only afford Goodman crap that's installed by gypsy contractors OR, they buy the equipment off the internet, try the DIY approach, and then blame the manufacturer when it fails. THAT is why some of you, with your reliable 20-30 year old heat pumps, are so surprised when the newer Chinese and Mexican junk gives you so much trouble! I've got a 19 year old Carrier that's still running strong. I hope it will last another 10 at least!

Date created: 2012-06-03 Name: William Rahm
Location: Lady Lake, Florada.

"4 Ton Carrier Infinity Running Like a Charm"
I purchased a 4 ton Carrier Infinity heat pump and air handler and it has run flawlessly for two years. The humidity control is outstanding. My average monthly electric bill is running $65.00 a month less on average then when I had a 3.5 ton Trane. The unit does everything but take the trash out on Saturday morning. My neighbor just replaced his 5 year old Trane that has been giving him trouble since it was installed. They found the 7/8" diameter copper tubing was reduced to 5/8" diameter tubing in a very sloppy way and also found a 90 degree large radius fitting that was bent in such a way as to almost close off the tubing. I believe the installation is critical and is the reason for most failures. A competent installer is a must. Maybe even more important then the manufactuer of the unit.

Date created: 2012-05-30 Name: claudia deville-draper
Location: McCordsville, IN

"Don't buy this product"
Our Carrier heat pump came with our new home in December 2005. Since then, we have had to have it service 3 times and now it is gone completely out (whole/leaking in the condensing coil). According to Carrier, the warranty was only for 5 years although the paperwork from our builder and most internet articles indicates a 10 year warranty. Wow, six and a half years life span on something that costs thousands of dollars! You can see why I rated this product as very unsatisfied!!!!

Date created: 2012-05-28 Name: Pat Simmons
Location: Coatesville, PA

"26 Year Old Heat Pump"
My 26 year old heat pump is having a problem today and since it is such an old unit, I decided I'd better start looking since I am probably on borrowed time. After reading some reviews, I decided to post one of my own. Many times people post a review because they are having a problem. I decided to post one since I never did. The Carrier heat pump was installed in my new home in 1987. It has been great!!! I hope the new units are made as well. I will keep reading reviews of other brands but I cannot say anything negative about Carrier. I will probably go with another if it's time.