Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2012-11-06 Name: L. Lee
Location: Northern Virginia

"Bad compressor"
Bought Carrier Infinity heat pump 3.5 years ago. Two compressors down. Dealer says Carrier knows about the compressor (Bristol)but won't call them defective. Carrier will buy back my outside unit and replace it with one that actually works for $1300. I wish they sold me one that works in the first place.

Date created: 2012-10-26 Name: Joe Schmoe
Location: Florida

"8 Years Old, no trouble"
My carrier heat pump came with my new house. I have had it for 8 years and never made one service call. All I've done is replace air-handler filters, put some bleach in the air-handler drain line once a year, and I wrapped some wires in automotive wire loom inside the condenser unit when I was informed by a friend there was a flaw with the wires laying on top of copper tubing that causes the wire insulation to rub off and short circuit. So, you might say that I am very satisfied. Maybe I should knock on wood, I don't know. I should also state that, since I live in Florida, I never run the system in heat-pump mode, no matter how cold it gets outside, which isn't to cold. I use space heaters if I really need some heat. So this may have something to do with the longevity of the unit. I'd love to get another 6 years out of it.

Date created: 2012-10-18 Name: YA tittle
Location: Georgia

"Installation"
I see a lot of reviews on carrier systems, and after installing them for 4 years and working on them for 2 1/2 years, I have to say I would prefer them over any other brand. Only one close is trane. We install them all. The equipment isn't the problem most of the time, it is the way it is installed. On newer systems it is imperative to solder all joints while running nitrogen through the system. Without that, and not pulling a good vacuum, it results in expansion valve problems as well as compressor problems prematurely. Of course there are times that any part can go bad on any system. In my professional opinion, no system is made like it was in the 80's and 90'S. Just like anything else, the quality isn't there. I believe it is built to replace. My thoughts are not to blame the maker as much as blaming the installer. If it is a coil issue, it is mostly the manufacturers bad workmanship. Boards could go bad by power surges, dirty power, lightning, etc. Infinity are good systems, but they are also extremely picky when not installed properly, especially when changed out with an existing system. Definitely when you have problems, stay on the dealer as well as the manufacturer or supply house that carry's the product since that is where the dealer will have to purchase the product, things are more likely to be taken care of.

Date created: 2012-10-17 Name: Richard Dill
Location: Oneonta, Alabama

"Carrier Heat Pump"
The unit was installed only 4 years ago. Already the copper coils have corroded and must be replaced. The parts are still under warranty but the work costs $800 dollars. It seems that Carrier has gone with poor quality copper coils produced in China that corrode quickly, as opposed to aluminum that are much longer lasting. There certainly should not be this kind of repair necessary in such a short time!

Date created: 2012-10-02 Name: P Anderson
Location: Waldorf, MD

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS"
First Carrier lasted 24 years, no service contract, no issues. Current Carrier Infinity, 12 service calls in 48 months, I am not aware of any component (other than the duct work) that has not been replaced. Maintain a annual service contract, so out of pocket expense has been limited to about $250/year. But tremendously inconvenient to have technicians taking over your home 4-6 days a year, and never know when the next "call technician" message is going to appear on the thermostat. Spent a week this summer waiting for a coil, had to sleep in my car because the house was over 100 degrees.

Date created: 2012-09-30 Name: JW Finkler
Location: NE Ohio

"25HNB9363A003"
Compared to our prior system the Carrier heat pump is so quiet that I've actually looked into the system unit to determine that the unit was actually working. the 19 seer unit is nearly 5' tall and very quiet. Our back deck is within 15' of the unit. We do not need raise our voices when the system is working. Carrier model: 25HNB9363A003

Date created: 2012-09-04 Name: Bill
Location: Georgetown, TX

"Caveat Emptor"
On my third compressor in nine years. Would expect this from low end units, but not Carrier. Too bad they have gone cheap on the quality. Look elsewhere.

Date created: 2012-08-07 Name: S. Stopt
Location: Bellingham, WA

"You should have chosen your contractor better..."
I found the contractor I wanted and then bought the product I wanted. We had a small issue with our Carrier heat pump and they were out same day to resolve. anything you buy has the potential to break, it is the support that matters. You pick that wrong and you have basically screwed yourself.

Date created: 2012-08-05 Name: W. Jones
Location: Greensboro, nc

"Piece of junk"
I am a general contractor. Put many carrier units in my houses. Never again, I have a 38eyg 3 ton piece of junk in my own house, and no warranty. 6 years old, compressor out. Already worked on twice. Buy something else, anything but Carrier.

Date created: 2012-08-03 Name: b. cobb
Location: hky n.c.

"11 seer"
Can't remember what the old unit was but I believe it was an carrier also, it was 13 years old and was here when the house was new. We replaced it with a new carrier heat pump w/ electric heat, air handler and condenser all new in attic, with outside unit , over 21 years 3 freon fills, 2 electric boards and its not the warmest heat in winter. I would like to have gas heat and central air, but getting old now and will likely just go back to same system, from all the reviews looks like there is good and bad in them all.