Consumer Reviews of Carrier heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Carrier heat pumps

Date created: 2013-07-09 Name: David D'Souza
Location: Seattle, WA

"Flakey and Unreliable"
We had two new Carrier heat pumps and infinity controllers installed in 2006. Every year, something has broken. The compressors have already been replaced twice and various miscellaneous problems despite being on a yearly maintenance contract. The old furnace in the home lasted 25 years. I doubt the Carrier will last half as long.

Date created: 2013-07-02 Name: P Tashner
Location: Richmond, Virginia

"Long Life, Very Satisfied"
Carrier 3 ton unit (10 seer 7.2 HSPF) was installed as original heat pump in 1997. New construction home for upstairs about 1250 sq feet on the bedroom level and 450 sq feet in a finished attic room. Worked great for 16 years, no problems with heating or cooling. Compressor fried after 16 years, we decided to replace the entire system versus just the compressor. With quotes from 7 companies local and national brands: Carrier, Rheem, Trane, and York. The overwhelming percentage of negative comments for each brand makes me think a window A/C would be the best bet.
Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: m.waters
Location: Richmond, Va

"Carrier = Junk"
Carrier uses 4 different brands of compressors, and more times than not, it will not be a Copeland Scroll. They build Carrier with the cheapest things they can build them with. Stay away!
Date created: 2013-05-18 Name: Butte
Location: Ontario, OR

"Requires Annual Puron Recharge"
This unit is four years old and has required puron recharge each year. The dealer can't find the leak and claims it is a defective product, but Carrier won't stand behind it. Carrier customer service is very rude and won't admit they have a problem. The dealer has stood by the product and has not charged me labor but what's going to happen when the warranty runs out.
Date created: 2013-04-15 Name: T johnson
Location: Texas

"Been great for 20 years"
I hate to part with my current carrier heat pump. It has been in the home for 20 years. In my ten years here I have only replaced a fan motor and capacitor, a total of about $300.00. The air handler doesn’t have problems until some leaks about 4 years ago. Having to add more Freon now. I have put off replacing everything because of the poor reviews. However I think I need it now as I have a good quote.
Date created: 2013-04-10 Name: jfeeney

"Infinity"
I spent more than $6000 on a Carrier Infinity Heat Pump system in 2007. I used to spend more than $2,500 on two compressors failing in less than seven years. The parts are covered under the ten year warranty, however, the service is not covered and it is not cheap. All in all, this unit has been a money pit and caused me major problems every three years. Carrier had very little interest in the issues. Don't buy it. Hopefully there will be a class action suit.
Date created: 2013-03-26 Name: fred russo
Location: VERO BEACH FL

"Carrier wonderful"
We bought a new mfg home in florida in 1993 and it had a carrier heat pump that is still running wow! Little to no repair. Now to be pro active we are looking to replace it. Question now that Carrier is made in China is it still a good h/p.
Date created: 2013-03-21 Name: J Mercer
Location: Olympia, WA

"LOUD - don't buy Carrier - constant repairs!"
We have had our Carrier heat pump for 11 years and in that time have had numerous maintenance calls - at least one every year. The outdoor unit is about 8 feet from our patio, and if you are anywhere nearby when it starts up, you need earplugs. Since it has been here, no tech has known what to do about the noise. They just say, yep - you can put a bunch of rubber washers at all of the screws to muffle it a bit, but it will always be loud. Wish we had known this. Our builder just picked it out and charged us. No solution to the loud lemon, except just DON't buy one in the first place!
Date created: 2013-02-24 Name: Thomas H. Martin
Location: Dublin, GA

"Absolute junk"
I purchased this unit on Jan 24, 2011. I opted not to purchase the extra labor warranty since I had always heard Carrier was reliable. It ran well for one year and five months. On July 1st it failed completely due to a bad run capacitor so I called the company. The repair cost me $144 for a failed run capacitor to repair a NEW system. On July 3rd, it began not to cool so I called them back. The repairman said it was not cooling because I had a vent closed and was using a pleated filter. I disagreed with that, but no charge for that one. On September 27, the indoor unit failed with a bad blower motor. That one cost me $242.00. In all fairness, I contacted Carrier Customer Service and after weeks of wrangling with them they agreed to reimburse me for that, making sure I understood it was a one-time thing. On February 14, 2013 (slightly over two years old) it quit heating and was blowing cold air. The unit froze up solid. The tech found that most of the refrigerant had leaked out and had to put four pounds of Puron in it. After my complaint, the company agreed not to charge me the $65 for the call and the $160 for the Puron. Three days later at 27 degrees outside temperature, the unit froze up again and put out no heat. I have a call in to get it checked out. I would never buy a Carrier product again. The A/C company is great and have been more that responsive and fair but I have a lemon that will cost me big bucks until I get mad enough to replace it. I have had over %600 in repair fees on a NEW UNIT. If you are getting a new heat pump, do the research. Coleman is the highest rated and best service, Heil and then Trane. All are highly rated by consumers.
Date created: 2012-12-21 Name: BJ McDonald
Location: Kitty Hawk, NC

"Great System, Low Power Bills!"
My Carrier 38YDA036 heat pump has a two stage Bristol compressor with a variable speed blower inside with two separate zones. It's almost 12 years old and I am very pleased with it's performance and need for repair. Only two repairs in 12 years, one was a sensor for the zone panel in about year 3 which was covered by my parts and labor warranty which I purchased through the installer. The other was the outdoor control panel which failed two years out of its 10 year parts and labor warranty. This was about a $600.00 repair but I think that's not bad at all after running for 12 years. If it was a car, I would have had to replace it years ago. With a heating and cooling system, it's all about the installing company and how good they are. If they are detail oriented and follow the factory guidelines you have a great chance of not having problems. I will definitely buy another Carrier heat pump system when it's time.