Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Jeff Branch
Location: Richmond, Va

"Carrier used to be a good piece, not anymore"
I have a Carrier at my house, I sold Carrier, I sold Comfortmaker, I am currently selling Ruud. Ruud does not have the name that Carrier has, but to the guy in Texas who says he hasn't had any problems in 27 years. I would beg to differ. I also install on the weekends. I installed 31 Ruud value system's, and 3 Carriers. Guess what, Have had not one complaint about the Ruud, not one warranty, everyone loves them. Out of the 3 Carriers I installed, 3 weeks later, bad blower motor. At a daycare, in June, and it took them 3 days to get it in. Carrier is the most cheaply made, over hyped pos on the market. Even York and Lennox are better than a Carrier. If you want to have cold air blowing when its hot, and warm air blowing when its cold, forget about a Carrier, any seer, any model. It is scrap. If you buy a Carrier base series, enjoy the chicken wire grill "protecting" the coil. What a joke.

Date created: 2014-01-23 Name: Robert R. Hults
Location: DeLand, FL

"Unexpected Rust"
Unit is 3 months old. I was initially impressed by the heavy duty construction of top condenser grate. I recently noticed that a dozen or more areas where rods are joined are showing rust. Obviously the paint/coating is not holding up or it was not applied correctly when built. I will be calling installing company. Even though this might not affect operation, the unit is easily visible to me and guests and this can only get worse and become an eyesore. For the price paid, I would not expect this in 10 years much less 3 months. My 17-old Lennox had no visible rust when replaced.

Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: Jerald Coffey
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"Owner"
I am a Carrier dealer and have installed many Carrier heat pumps. The reason many people have a bad experience with any system is because the system was not installed correctly. I have been in the business for 27 years and I don't have the problems that others have because I go by the book. You can install a gold plated system and not install it correctly and it will fail. I suggest that folks that are having repeated problems to find a qualified contractor and quit going with the lowest bid or price.

Date created: 2013-07-29 Name: zach smith
Location: phoenix, az

"30 Years and Still Going!"
Bought the house 20 years ago when it was ten years old. Have had a couple service calls on the original combination, roof mounted AC/heat pump unit! The compressor was made by someone who believes in quality, obviously. Hope when I have to replace it, I can find one that lasts another 30 years! Good job Carrier!

Date created: 2013-07-12 Name: Janet Tilden
Location: Omaha, Nebraska

"Not a Good Value for the Money"
We bought a Carrier "Deluxe 12 seer Split-System Heat Pump" model 38YZA, in June 2003. It is noisy and has needed regular recharges of refrigerant. Earlier this spring, our HVAC service company had to replace virtually all the refrigerant, and it was clear that the system had a leak. A couple of days ago we found out that repairing the unit would cost $1200. The technician told me that Carrier units are prone to develop leaks and that if we paid the $1200, the system would just develop another leak. We have opted to shut off the heat pump and use window ACs to cool our small house. I wish we had used the money that we wasted on this heat pump to buy a new furnace and a new central AC in 2003. That would have been a much better use of our money. I would never buy a Carrier product again. If there is a class action suit, sign me up for it!

Date created: 2013-07-09 Name: David D'Souza
Location: Seattle, WA

"Flakey and Unreliable"
We had two new Carrier heat pumps and infinity controllers installed in 2006. Every year, something has broken. The compressors have already been replaced twice and various miscellaneous problems despite being on a yearly maintenance contract. The old furnace in the home lasted 25 years. I doubt the Carrier will last half as long.

Date created: 2013-07-02 Name: P Tashner
Location: Richmond, Virginia

"Long Life, Very Satisfied"
Carrier 3 ton unit (10 seer 7.2 HSPF) was installed as original heat pump in 1997. New construction home for upstairs about 1250 sq feet on the bedroom level and 450 sq feet in a finished attic room. Worked great for 16 years, no problems with heating or cooling. Compressor fried after 16 years, we decided to replace the entire system versus just the compressor. With quotes from 7 companies local and national brands: Carrier, Rheem, Trane, and York. The overwhelming percentage of negative comments for each brand makes me think a window A/C would be the best bet.

Date created: 2013-06-06 Name: m.waters
Location: Richmond, Va

"Carrier = Junk"
Carrier uses 4 different brands of compressors, and more times than not, it will not be a Copeland Scroll. They build Carrier with the cheapest things they can build them with. Stay away!

Date created: 2013-05-18 Name: Butte
Location: Ontario, OR

"Requires Annual Puron Recharge"
This unit is four years old and has required puron recharge each year. The dealer can't find the leak and claims it is a defective product, but Carrier won't stand behind it. Carrier customer service is very rude and won't admit they have a problem. The dealer has stood by the product and has not charged me labor but what's going to happen when the warranty runs out.

Date created: 2013-04-15 Name: T johnson
Location: Texas

"Been great for 20 years"
I hate to part with my current carrier heat pump. It has been in the home for 20 years. In my ten years here I have only replaced a fan motor and capacitor, a total of about $300.00. The air handler doesn’t have problems until some leaks about 4 years ago. Having to add more Freon now. I have put off replacing everything because of the poor reviews. However I think I need it now as I have a good quote.