Consumer Reviews of Carrier heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Carrier heat pumps

Date created: 2015-03-16 Name: D Dev
Location: United States

"Hate this heat pump"
We put in a Carrier heat pump in November and we have had nothing but problems, from it not coming on to high electric bills - $600.00, which is very high for our area. The local electric company is sending someone out. I have called the installers probably no less than 20 times. They put in 4 new thermostats and said it's what is wrong. I don't care at this point, I hate this. Our 46-year-old furnace ran better than this pos.

Date created: 2015-03-03 Name: G. Young
Location: United States

"Expensive heat pump already requires repair"
Building our home in 2012, we selected a Carrier heat pump because of its efficiency and alleged reliability. Little more than 2 years later, we're now suffering through almost $400 labor costs to repair our relatively young Carrier heat pump because the outdoor fan bearings failed and the fan motor must be replaced. When I asked Carrier for credit against these $400 labor costs, Nicole stated she's "bound by the manufacturer's warranty" so she cannot pay for labor on a part that admittedly failed way too soon. Be careful of putting too much trust in the Carrier reliability. They're not willing to do what's right for the customer.
Date created: 2015-02-25 Name: V Knox
Location: Ft. Oglethorpe, GA

"I had a Carrier installed. I paid for a 3 1/2 ton & the installer put a 3 ton in. I was swindled..."
It has held up pretty good. But I paid for a 3 1/2 ton & the man who put it in put a 3 ton in instead. I have had it fixed once & the part was replaced and the thermostat also. His last name was Snyder from Chickamauga, & the name of his business was Dependable Air. So beware of who puts your new unit in. Fraudulent people are out there to beat you. I was out a lot of money, but when it was fixed last, this air conditioner man was very honest & told me I had a 3 ton, not the 3 1/2 ton for which I paid.
Date created: 2015-01-21 Name: A. Coleman
Location: Culpeper, VA

"Piece of junk"
I am sitting here freezing - again - because this piece of junk is broken down. It is 2 years old and I have had nothing but trouble ever since I spent $7,080 on it. After less than a year the motor had to be replaced, it was under "warranty" but it cost me $600 for the installation of a new one! Now it is putting out cold air. It has frozen up constantly ever since it was installed. No! I will never have another Carrier! I had 2 heat pumps before this and never had problems with them till they were old.
Date created: 2014-12-05 Name: D. Hitchler
Location: Newberry, FL

"Horrible customer care"
I purchased a new house with a Carrier heat pump 38YCC036-3 in 2005. The coil started to leak in 2009. The service company went over to stop the leak and charged $600. It lasted a few years, then did it again in 2011 and cost another $600. I called customer service. The warranty is now 10 years but when we bought our unit it was 5 years. I have to get a new unit and it will cost in the $4800 range. The neighborhood we live in has had many of the same problems and replaced many of the same units. Carrier is a horrible, low-quality product company. I'm very disappointed in the service, they seem to not care about the consumers. To make a long story short, they suck.
Date created: 2014-10-01 Name: Bruce Alger
Location: Short Pump, VA

"All Carrier is junk!"
As a HVAC installer, I have installed many different units. Carrier is by far the worst, has the most call backs, and is just cheap. From a residential 1.5 ton unit to a 60 ton commercial unit, they have cheapened their equipment so bad that it is insane. They don't honor their warranties and they are using LG compressors in their already pos units. Expect to get a call back on one of every three Carrier units you install. They are junk. It's just a name. It was great 30 years ago. Today, it leads the field, along with Lennox, as the cheapest-made HVAC equipment on the market. Stay away!
Date created: 2014-01-30 Name: Jeff Branch
Location: Richmond, Va

"Carrier used to be a good piece, not anymore"
I have a Carrier at my house, I sold Carrier, I sold Comfortmaker, I am currently selling Ruud. Ruud does not have the name that Carrier has, but to the guy in Texas who says he hasn't had any problems in 27 years. I would beg to differ. I also install on the weekends. I installed 31 Ruud value system's, and 3 Carriers. Guess what, Have had not one complaint about the Ruud, not one warranty, everyone loves them. Out of the 3 Carriers I installed, 3 weeks later, bad blower motor. At a daycare, in June, and it took them 3 days to get it in. Carrier is the most cheaply made, over hyped pos on the market. Even York and Lennox are better than a Carrier. If you want to have cold air blowing when its hot, and warm air blowing when its cold, forget about a Carrier, any seer, any model. It is scrap. If you buy a Carrier base series, enjoy the chicken wire grill "protecting" the coil. What a joke.
Date created: 2014-01-23 Name: Robert R. Hults
Location: DeLand, FL

"Unexpected Rust"
Unit is 3 months old. I was initially impressed by the heavy duty construction of top condenser grate. I recently noticed that a dozen or more areas where rods are joined are showing rust. Obviously the paint/coating is not holding up or it was not applied correctly when built. I will be calling installing company. Even though this might not affect operation, the unit is easily visible to me and guests and this can only get worse and become an eyesore. For the price paid, I would not expect this in 10 years much less 3 months. My 17-old Lennox had no visible rust when replaced.
Date created: 2013-11-06 Name: Jerald Coffey
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"Owner"
I am a Carrier dealer and have installed many Carrier heat pumps. The reason many people have a bad experience with any system is because the system was not installed correctly. I have been in the business for 27 years and I don't have the problems that others have because I go by the book. You can install a gold plated system and not install it correctly and it will fail. I suggest that folks that are having repeated problems to find a qualified contractor and quit going with the lowest bid or price.
Date created: 2013-07-29 Name: zach smith
Location: phoenix, az

"30 Years and Still Going!"
Bought the house 20 years ago when it was ten years old. Have had a couple service calls on the original combination, roof mounted AC/heat pump unit! The compressor was made by someone who believes in quality, obviously. Hope when I have to replace it, I can find one that lasts another 30 years! Good job Carrier!