Consumer Reviews of Carrier heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Carrier heat pumps

Date created: 2009-03-22 Name: CARRIER

"Frank in West Va."
We bought a new house 16 yrs ago and it came with a 2.5 ton carrier heat pump. Guess I shouldn't complain too much because it did last this long; although we use it mostly for cooling, it costs too much to heat the house with it so I burn coal for heat. Only repairs was last summer had a leak repaired. Finally last week I turned it on & it ran for a while, then only the outside fan would run & wouldn't shut off until I turned off the breakers. It's too old to start sinkin a bunch of money into, so I'll replace it with a new one. My big complaint is no one makes a filter for this unit, an oddball size, tired of making my own filters, I think just for the heck of it I'll switch brands.

Date created: 2009-02-22 Name: Mitchell Abercrombie
Location: Ellijay, GA

"Colmon"
Relay is bad I think. I dont know the title of it.
Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: Mike
Location: Overland Park, Kansas

"Don't recommend"
Put a Carrier heat pump, 10 seer. 3 ton in when house was built 11 years ago. Lots of refrig. leakage. Don't recommend Carrier, but it looks like all brands are poor!?!? Now have to replace entire system, including electric furnace for $7,000.
Date created: 2008-10-27 Name: Sharon Sain
Location: Chicota, Texas

"I liked my carrier heat pump"
We built a house 20 years ago. They installed a Carrier heat pump. It worked great. I did have to spend about $500 dollars on it over the last few years. It was actually worn out and I should have just gotten a new unit. It worked great for about 18 years. Overall it was a good buy. I think I paid about $2500 for it then.
Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: Clement Moore

"Quality control is key to Carrier appeal but...."
I have owned Carrier units for the last 30 years. While my central air unit installed in 1980 worked well, the three heat pump units I installed in 2000 have all leaked, frozen and been a gross disappointment. In spite of routine service conducted under service contracts, each unit has needed refrigerant augmentation. Even after black- light leak detection analysis, the "leaks" cannot be found. The dealer/installer are good and have worked with us. Carrier had precipitously fallen from an industry leader to the bottom of the barrel. Avoid!
Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: A. L. A.
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Carrier Heat Pump"
My 1400 sq. foot one-story house has a 2-ton Carrier heat pump. The system came with the house, which is now 12 years old. I've lived in the house 5 years and had the system serviced 3-4 times. Last winter I lived without heat because if I turned it on, it would blow a fuse, which costs $175. This summer, and 3 years ago, the capacitor blew and needed to be replaced. I've also had a freon leak. Well, it's had a good 12- year run, but it's time to replace the whole system. I'm considering another Carrier, but I'm keeping my options open.
Date created: 2008-07-09 Name: Mike Winston
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

"Owner"
It has the variable fan speed blower and it is a 2ton unit it cools real cold air & heats very well in winter
Date created: 2008-06-06 Name: P. Mabrey
Location: Commerce, GA

"Junk from day 1"
We replaced our old unit in 2002 and chose Carrier because of the name. To my great sorrow it has been nothing but a big money pit. It has been worked on every year since. And now it needs the 3rd compressor. Another $1400.00. I have just got off the phone with a rep. with the company and they are no help whatsoever. They could care less about the problems or the costs once you own the unit. I would not recommend to anyone that they buy one of these big expensive lemons.
Date created: 2008-05-06 Name: TJ
Location: Raleigh, NC

The original heat pump installed in 1986 lasted 12 years. We have had our "new" Carrier heat pump for 4 years and 10, yes 10 repairs. Not minor charges, but repairs such as a new compressor, new coil, new fan and many, many leaks.
Date created: 2008-04-12 Name: Fred
Location: VA

I have a Bryant 14 seer unit that I have had since 1999. I have had very few problems and what I have had has been little things like an 80 circuit. I have had it serviced a minimum of 1 a yr. I think that most of the folks that have problems with their units don't call anyone until there is a problem. A little prevention goes a long way. I have also bought a Carrier Infinity system for the company I work for. This is a great system using heat pump/gas. I think if I had to buy a unit tomorrow, this would be what I would buy