Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: tim monteforte

"Hunk of JUNK"
I have a carrier heat pump now for 10 years. It has been nothing but a total hunk of junk. I can't even remember all the repairs that have been done and re don threw the years. The evaparator coil looks like a bag of rust and is of course leaks. The heat coils have gone bad even the condensor fan fell out the only good thing it did not hit the condensor. It is loud, when the heat pump kicks on it sounds like a jet engine taking off. don't buy a hunk of junk. stay away from carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2009-07-07 Name: Diane

"Still working"
Have owned 2 4-ton units since we built the house in 1985. We are at the end of a major remodel so I'm looking for something that will use less energy than the units purchased 24 years ago, but they are both still running and cooling a large house. One better than the other, but actually running well. Replaced 1 thermostat about 5 years ago, but other than that not much maintenance. I came to this site to compare brands, and it seems people post mostly when unhappy.

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: F. Tallis

"Loud"
I moved into my new house last week, and the carrier heat pump I have is so loud that I have to turn it off at night just to sleep. I called my local Carrier repair man and he said that all Carriers are loud.

Date created: 2009-05-06 Name: J. Irish

"3 ton dies at 10 years"
House is 10 years old, evaporator is ate up with rust & leaking. drawing 10+ amps (evening) & freezing up. Guy tried to sell me another Carrier, not...

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Rick Vroman

"Carrier/Bryant Heat Pump Builders Grade 4 ton"
First 6 years were fine. In the seventh year we had 2 freon leaks, replaced 2 motors, and replaced the fan in the attic unit. Total cost ~$3000.

Date created: 2009-04-04 Name: CARRIER

"Noisy!"
First the positives: Had some problems at the beginning. Sears people (who we bought from) didn't really know what to do except swap parts. But after that it has been pretty reliable. It also heats fairly well. The biggest problem is the noise. It sounds like a tank when running, and makes a loud clunk when it shuts off. Our neighbours aren't impressed, and neither are we. Below 5 degrees (C), it becomes extremely loud and we go back to the regular furnace. Air conditioning is OK, but by the end of a hot day something starts to rattle and click outside; the only solution is to turn the machine off and roast for an hour before turning back on. We also have to close lots of vents and shut most of the blinds for the A/C to work properly. A Lennox heat pump down the street is 1/4 the noise. In a neighbourhood of closely packed homes, our Carrier unit simply isn't good enough and we won't buy one again. This was a big mistake.

Date created: 2009-03-22 Name: CARRIER

"Frank in West Va."
We bought a new house 16 yrs ago and it came with a 2.5 ton carrier heat pump. Guess I shouldn't complain too much because it did last this long; although we use it mostly for cooling, it costs too much to heat the house with it so I burn coal for heat. Only repairs was last summer had a leak repaired. Finally last week I turned it on & it ran for a while, then only the outside fan would run & wouldn't shut off until I turned off the breakers. It's too old to start sinkin a bunch of money into, so I'll replace it with a new one. My big complaint is no one makes a filter for this unit, an oddball size, tired of making my own filters, I think just for the heck of it I'll switch brands.

Date created: 2009-02-22 Name: Mitchell Abercrombie
Location: Ellijay, GA

"Colmon"
Relay is bad I think. I dont know the title of it.

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: M Gilson

"Mikki"
We had a gt-px geothermal unit installed into our new home. We chose a geothermal unit b/c it is to help cut energy costs. Well lets just say it didn't! First noticed the unit was not running properly, called my installer-he found 3 broken factory welds inside the unit. Installer called to order parts-in Nov 08, they are still not in this is Feb '09. First they were backordered then they sent the wrong parts twice!!! I still have not received the parts and still do not have it repaired!! My electric bill doubled the first two months and recently just tripled from last year at this time!! On top of that, the furnace couldn't keep my house warm during the coldest winter b/c of the breaks! I have 2 very small children that I cannot afford to be cold! When I contacted carrier I get a run around that someone will be in contact with my installer and no one has yet to be contacted!! I will never recommend this product!!

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: Mike
Location: Overland Park, Kansas

"Don't recommend"
Put a Carrier heat pump, 10 seer. 3 ton in when house was built 11 years ago. Lots of refrig. leakage. Don't recommend Carrier, but it looks like all brands are poor!?!? Now have to replace entire system, including electric furnace for $7,000.