Consumer Reviews of Carrier heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Carrier heat pumps

Date created: 2009-11-22 Name: R Brown

"28 Year Carrier unit"
Excellent unit. In 28 years I have had only three service calls, two of which were refrigerant leaks as the copper tubing starts to get brittle with age, and one motor failure after 27 years. That, folks, is excellent Reading other heat pump reviews for both Carrier and Lennox, I am wondering whether the new manufacture philosophy now tends toward planned obsolence, like the appliance industry today. Planned life for appliances is now seven years when my first appliances lasted 25 years. Maybe HVAC is now the same way.

Date created: 2009-11-08 Name: G.E.

"B4 U BUY"
Just replaced our "29" year old Trane with a Carrier system. I'm a very disastisfied owner. My decision was between a Trane and a Carrier. I compared the cost and although the quotes were close (Trane was slightly more) I chose the Carrier because, after rebates (dealer and tax), the Carrier was the more cost effective choice. I should've listened to one of the "Carrier" dealers. He tried to rationalize why I should buy the Carrier versus the Trane system and said, "Mercedes is the best car on the road but you don't drive a Mercedes.". The Carrier system was cheaper and more affordable therefore why buy the Trane (A.K.A. Mercedes). Some of the differences between the Carrier and Trane system important to me were noise, variable speed fan, and size of the unit. I blame the dealer (not the same dealer as above) partly because they know what they're not telling you. I hold Carrier resonsible because they authorize the dealers to represent them, and there are definitely a lot of them (quantity versus quality?). I was so disappointed I considered trying to find a way I could remove my Carrier and purchase the Trane. I will admit the Carrier system does what a system should do (cool and heat). I haven't called dealer because I don't trust them. In defense of Carrier the dealer can probably fix some of the problems but I'm too disappointed to be satisfied at this point. By the way, according to my notice from Carrier "Should your equipment require service, please contact the servicing dealer shown on your warranty. Services rendered by any other dealer will not be covered by Carrier.". This is an important difference if you, like me, do not want to do business with the dealer that sold you the unit.
Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: Guy La Vergne

"Quite satisfied"
This unit was already installed when I bought this house 11 years ago. Everything as worked fine until now as we only had to replace the outside fan motor and a relay, two years ago. In our winter climate, this system is mainly used for heating. However, in this climate, I have always heard that heat pumps don't last that long before you need major repair or replacement. I can't say if mine is an exception, but it is still going well
Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: gale paire

"Big mac"
I replaced a 13 year old ge weathertron in 1995 with a carrier heat pump and was amazedat the quiet operation . I sold the house in 2002 and never spent a penny on the system. I know the buyer personally and his only exspense is a maintenance contract he bought but nothing has ever been bad. why is it that only disatisfied people write reviews and I think they tend to exaggerate things.
Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: tim monteforte

"Hunk of JUNK"
I have a carrier heat pump now for 10 years. It has been nothing but a total hunk of junk. I can't even remember all the repairs that have been done and re don threw the years. The evaparator coil looks like a bag of rust and is of course leaks. The heat coils have gone bad even the condensor fan fell out the only good thing it did not hit the condensor. It is loud, when the heat pump kicks on it sounds like a jet engine taking off. don't buy a hunk of junk. stay away from carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date created: 2009-07-07 Name: Diane

"Still working"
Have owned 2 4-ton units since we built the house in 1985. We are at the end of a major remodel so I'm looking for something that will use less energy than the units purchased 24 years ago, but they are both still running and cooling a large house. One better than the other, but actually running well. Replaced 1 thermostat about 5 years ago, but other than that not much maintenance. I came to this site to compare brands, and it seems people post mostly when unhappy.
Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: F. Tallis

"Loud"
I moved into my new house last week, and the carrier heat pump I have is so loud that I have to turn it off at night just to sleep. I called my local Carrier repair man and he said that all Carriers are loud.
Date created: 2009-05-06 Name: J. Irish

"3 ton dies at 10 years"
House is 10 years old, evaporator is ate up with rust & leaking. drawing 10+ amps (evening) & freezing up. Guy tried to sell me another Carrier, not...
Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Rick Vroman

"Carrier/Bryant Heat Pump Builders Grade 4 ton"
First 6 years were fine. In the seventh year we had 2 freon leaks, replaced 2 motors, and replaced the fan in the attic unit. Total cost ~$3000.
Date created: 2009-04-04 Name: CARRIER

"Noisy!"
First the positives: Had some problems at the beginning. Sears people (who we bought from) didn't really know what to do except swap parts. But after that it has been pretty reliable. It also heats fairly well. The biggest problem is the noise. It sounds like a tank when running, and makes a loud clunk when it shuts off. Our neighbours aren't impressed, and neither are we. Below 5 degrees (C), it becomes extremely loud and we go back to the regular furnace. Air conditioning is OK, but by the end of a hot day something starts to rattle and click outside; the only solution is to turn the machine off and roast for an hour before turning back on. We also have to close lots of vents and shut most of the blinds for the A/C to work properly. A Lennox heat pump down the street is 1/4 the noise. In a neighbourhood of closely packed homes, our Carrier unit simply isn't good enough and we won't buy one again. This was a big mistake.