Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2009-05-06 Name: J. Irish

"3 ton dies at 10 years"
House is 10 years old, evaporator is ate up with rust & leaking. drawing 10+ amps (evening) & freezing up. Guy tried to sell me another Carrier, not...

Date created: 2009-05-05 Name: Rick Vroman

"Carrier/Bryant Heat Pump Builders Grade 4 ton"
First 6 years were fine. In the seventh year we had 2 freon leaks, replaced 2 motors, and replaced the fan in the attic unit. Total cost ~$3000.

Date created: 2009-04-04 Name: CARRIER

"Noisy!"
First the positives: Had some problems at the beginning. Sears people (who we bought from) didn't really know what to do except swap parts. But after that it has been pretty reliable. It also heats fairly well. The biggest problem is the noise. It sounds like a tank when running, and makes a loud clunk when it shuts off. Our neighbours aren't impressed, and neither are we. Below 5 degrees (C), it becomes extremely loud and we go back to the regular furnace. Air conditioning is OK, but by the end of a hot day something starts to rattle and click outside; the only solution is to turn the machine off and roast for an hour before turning back on. We also have to close lots of vents and shut most of the blinds for the A/C to work properly. A Lennox heat pump down the street is 1/4 the noise. In a neighbourhood of closely packed homes, our Carrier unit simply isn't good enough and we won't buy one again. This was a big mistake.

Date created: 2009-03-22 Name: CARRIER

"Frank in West Va."
We bought a new house 16 yrs ago and it came with a 2.5 ton carrier heat pump. Guess I shouldn't complain too much because it did last this long; although we use it mostly for cooling, it costs too much to heat the house with it so I burn coal for heat. Only repairs was last summer had a leak repaired. Finally last week I turned it on & it ran for a while, then only the outside fan would run & wouldn't shut off until I turned off the breakers. It's too old to start sinkin a bunch of money into, so I'll replace it with a new one. My big complaint is no one makes a filter for this unit, an oddball size, tired of making my own filters, I think just for the heck of it I'll switch brands.

Date created: 2009-02-22 Name: Mitchell Abercrombie
Location: Ellijay, GA

"Colmon"
Relay is bad I think. I dont know the title of it.

Date created: 2009-02-11 Name: Mike
Location: Overland Park, Kansas

"Don't recommend"
Put a Carrier heat pump, 10 seer. 3 ton in when house was built 11 years ago. Lots of refrig. leakage. Don't recommend Carrier, but it looks like all brands are poor!?!? Now have to replace entire system, including electric furnace for $7,000.

Date created: 2008-10-27 Name: Sharon Sain
Location: Chicota, Texas

"I liked my carrier heat pump"
We built a house 20 years ago. They installed a Carrier heat pump. It worked great. I did have to spend about $500 dollars on it over the last few years. It was actually worn out and I should have just gotten a new unit. It worked great for about 18 years. Overall it was a good buy. I think I paid about $2500 for it then.

Date created: 2008-09-09 Name: Clement Moore

"Quality control is key to Carrier appeal but...."
I have owned Carrier units for the last 30 years. While my central air unit installed in 1980 worked well, the three heat pump units I installed in 2000 have all leaked, frozen and been a gross disappointment. In spite of routine service conducted under service contracts, each unit has needed refrigerant augmentation. Even after black- light leak detection analysis, the "leaks" cannot be found. The dealer/installer are good and have worked with us. Carrier had precipitously fallen from an industry leader to the bottom of the barrel. Avoid!

Date created: 2008-09-03 Name: A. L. A.
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Carrier Heat Pump"
My 1400 sq. foot one-story house has a 2-ton Carrier heat pump. The system came with the house, which is now 12 years old. I've lived in the house 5 years and had the system serviced 3-4 times. Last winter I lived without heat because if I turned it on, it would blow a fuse, which costs $175. This summer, and 3 years ago, the capacitor blew and needed to be replaced. I've also had a freon leak. Well, it's had a good 12- year run, but it's time to replace the whole system. I'm considering another Carrier, but I'm keeping my options open.

Date created: 2008-07-09 Name: Mike Winston
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

"Owner"
It has the variable fan speed blower and it is a 2ton unit it cools real cold air & heats very well in winter