Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: H. Sanchez

"Carrier Satification"
My Carrier heat pump came when my house was newly built in 1982. I had the motor replaced about ten years ago. To my surprise, my current Carrier system is still heating and cooling my home very well. Go figure? I'm not looking to have a reason to spend $3,000 on up to replace my old system which is still working wonderfully. I realize that we are more than likely paying for it's electrical inefficiency in the long run. But, it still runs great.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: J. Mutchler

"What junk!"
I have had a carrier unit for 2 years... and the compressor has gone out.... a warranty part, that they want 900.00 for the labor to replace... 900.00 Are you kidding me??? The unit it 2 years old!!! What a joke!!!

Date created: 2009-12-05 Name: Jeff M

"Home Owner"
Had this heat pump less than 3 yrs. Nothing but trouble.

Date created: 2009-11-22 Name: R Brown

"28 Year Carrier unit"
Excellent unit. In 28 years I have had only three service calls, two of which were refrigerant leaks as the copper tubing starts to get brittle with age, and one motor failure after 27 years. That, folks, is excellent Reading other heat pump reviews for both Carrier and Lennox, I am wondering whether the new manufacture philosophy now tends toward planned obsolence, like the appliance industry today. Planned life for appliances is now seven years when my first appliances lasted 25 years. Maybe HVAC is now the same way.

Date created: 2009-11-08 Name: G.E.

"B4 U BUY"
Just replaced our "29" year old Trane with a Carrier system. I'm a very disastisfied owner. My decision was between a Trane and a Carrier. I compared the cost and although the quotes were close (Trane was slightly more) I chose the Carrier because, after rebates (dealer and tax), the Carrier was the more cost effective choice. I should've listened to one of the "Carrier" dealers. He tried to rationalize why I should buy the Carrier versus the Trane system and said, "Mercedes is the best car on the road but you don't drive a Mercedes.". The Carrier system was cheaper and more affordable therefore why buy the Trane (A.K.A. Mercedes). Some of the differences between the Carrier and Trane system important to me were noise, variable speed fan, and size of the unit. I blame the dealer (not the same dealer as above) partly because they know what they're not telling you. I hold Carrier resonsible because they authorize the dealers to represent them, and there are definitely a lot of them (quantity versus quality?). I was so disappointed I considered trying to find a way I could remove my Carrier and purchase the Trane. I will admit the Carrier system does what a system should do (cool and heat). I haven't called dealer because I don't trust them. In defense of Carrier the dealer can probably fix some of the problems but I'm too disappointed to be satisfied at this point. By the way, according to my notice from Carrier "Should your equipment require service, please contact the servicing dealer shown on your warranty. Services rendered by any other dealer will not be covered by Carrier.". This is an important difference if you, like me, do not want to do business with the dealer that sold you the unit.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: Guy La Vergne

"Quite satisfied"
This unit was already installed when I bought this house 11 years ago. Everything as worked fine until now as we only had to replace the outside fan motor and a relay, two years ago. In our winter climate, this system is mainly used for heating. However, in this climate, I have always heard that heat pumps don't last that long before you need major repair or replacement. I can't say if mine is an exception, but it is still going well

Date created: 2009-08-25 Name: gale paire

"Big mac"
I replaced a 13 year old ge weathertron in 1995 with a carrier heat pump and was amazedat the quiet operation . I sold the house in 2002 and never spent a penny on the system. I know the buyer personally and his only exspense is a maintenance contract he bought but nothing has ever been bad. why is it that only disatisfied people write reviews and I think they tend to exaggerate things.

Date created: 2009-07-13 Name: tim monteforte

"Hunk of JUNK"
I have a carrier heat pump now for 10 years. It has been nothing but a total hunk of junk. I can't even remember all the repairs that have been done and re don threw the years. The evaparator coil looks like a bag of rust and is of course leaks. The heat coils have gone bad even the condensor fan fell out the only good thing it did not hit the condensor. It is loud, when the heat pump kicks on it sounds like a jet engine taking off. don't buy a hunk of junk. stay away from carrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date created: 2009-07-07 Name: Diane

"Still working"
Have owned 2 4-ton units since we built the house in 1985. We are at the end of a major remodel so I'm looking for something that will use less energy than the units purchased 24 years ago, but they are both still running and cooling a large house. One better than the other, but actually running well. Replaced 1 thermostat about 5 years ago, but other than that not much maintenance. I came to this site to compare brands, and it seems people post mostly when unhappy.

Date created: 2009-05-25 Name: F. Tallis

"Loud"
I moved into my new house last week, and the carrier heat pump I have is so loud that I have to turn it off at night just to sleep. I called my local Carrier repair man and he said that all Carriers are loud.