Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2010-02-18 Name: R. Thomas

"Home owner"
I bought a brand new house with a new Carrier heat pump in 2001. After 4 years, I had to replace the motor. After 5 years, I had to replace the coil. My neighbor had to replace his Carrier heat pump last summer. It was only one year older than mine. I do check the filter monthly. Replacement filters cannot be purchased at any local hardware store. They must be ordered. I have tried to contact Carrier but could not get a response. I am hoping to get one more year out of it before I have to buy a new one. It will not be a Carrier.

Date created: 2010-02-04 Name: V.

"Mr."
Had two expensive repairs in 7 years, then replaced all together. Purchased it new.

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: Lavelle Mays

"Unhappy customer of carrier unit"
Not even had unit for 5 years and 1st year had to have it worked on while waiting 2 months of over 500 dollar power bill. Year 2 ok. Last year had to have it worked on again 2 months of over 500 dollars of power bills. Now again, December 09, another bad park still waiting on parts. It's January 13 and still will be another week before fixed. I think having a unit 4 years and working on it, 3 years is just not right. I was told how much money I would save with a new unit. Boy, was that a joke! I just got hold of a bad unit and nobody will help me with it. I have been ripped off big time. I try to tell Sears I had a bad unit but they say I bought it. It's my problem now but it shouldn't be. I'm a customer and should be well pleased but am not. Thanks for reading and letting me tell you I have a bad unit.

Date created: 2010-01-12 Name: H. Sanchez

"Carrier Satification"
My Carrier heat pump came when my house was newly built in 1982. I had the motor replaced about ten years ago. To my surprise, my current Carrier system is still heating and cooling my home very well. Go figure? I'm not looking to have a reason to spend $3,000 on up to replace my old system which is still working wonderfully. I realize that we are more than likely paying for it's electrical inefficiency in the long run. But, it still runs great.

Date created: 2010-01-06 Name: J. Mutchler

"What junk!"
I have had a carrier unit for 2 years... and the compressor has gone out.... a warranty part, that they want 900.00 for the labor to replace... 900.00 Are you kidding me??? The unit it 2 years old!!! What a joke!!!

Date created: 2009-12-05 Name: R. Lowery

"New Carrier Heat Pump"
Have had the 15 seer 5 ton Heat Pump/Infinity system installed for 6 months. Wish I had purchased something else. It is very loud. I have had the install company (2nd generation professionals) back out and they moved the piping in the house which reduced some of the noise. The outside unit is still so loud it can be heard on the other side of a 2900 square foot house. I used to hear my neighbor's cheaper unit at night because it is outside my bedroom window. That prompted me to spend a little more for what I thought was going to be a quieter unit. In the summer it's loud and in the winter it sounds like it's dying. The gasping sound scares the dog everytime it defrosts.

Date created: 2009-12-05 Name: Jeff M

"Home Owner"
Had this heat pump less than 3 yrs. Nothing but trouble.

Date created: 2009-11-22 Name: R Brown

"28 Year Carrier unit"
Excellent unit. In 28 years I have had only three service calls, two of which were refrigerant leaks as the copper tubing starts to get brittle with age, and one motor failure after 27 years. That, folks, is excellent Reading other heat pump reviews for both Carrier and Lennox, I am wondering whether the new manufacture philosophy now tends toward planned obsolence, like the appliance industry today. Planned life for appliances is now seven years when my first appliances lasted 25 years. Maybe HVAC is now the same way.

Date created: 2009-11-08 Name: G.E.

"B4 U BUY"
Just replaced our "29" year old Trane with a Carrier system. I'm a very disastisfied owner. My decision was between a Trane and a Carrier. I compared the cost and although the quotes were close (Trane was slightly more) I chose the Carrier because, after rebates (dealer and tax), the Carrier was the more cost effective choice. I should've listened to one of the "Carrier" dealers. He tried to rationalize why I should buy the Carrier versus the Trane system and said, "Mercedes is the best car on the road but you don't drive a Mercedes.". The Carrier system was cheaper and more affordable therefore why buy the Trane (A.K.A. Mercedes). Some of the differences between the Carrier and Trane system important to me were noise, variable speed fan, and size of the unit. I blame the dealer (not the same dealer as above) partly because they know what they're not telling you. I hold Carrier resonsible because they authorize the dealers to represent them, and there are definitely a lot of them (quantity versus quality?). I was so disappointed I considered trying to find a way I could remove my Carrier and purchase the Trane. I will admit the Carrier system does what a system should do (cool and heat). I haven't called dealer because I don't trust them. In defense of Carrier the dealer can probably fix some of the problems but I'm too disappointed to be satisfied at this point. By the way, according to my notice from Carrier "Should your equipment require service, please contact the servicing dealer shown on your warranty. Services rendered by any other dealer will not be covered by Carrier.". This is an important difference if you, like me, do not want to do business with the dealer that sold you the unit.

Date created: 2009-10-31 Name: Guy La Vergne

"Quite satisfied"
This unit was already installed when I bought this house 11 years ago. Everything as worked fine until now as we only had to replace the outside fan motor and a relay, two years ago. In our winter climate, this system is mainly used for heating. However, in this climate, I have always heard that heat pumps don't last that long before you need major repair or replacement. I can't say if mine is an exception, but it is still going well