Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2010-06-19 Name: Anon

"Infinity"
I love my Carrier Infinity heat pump. Yeah, well I install ac for a living. I have a reversible Bristol compressor and it is so cool to have a 1.5 ton capacity and a three ton in the same unit. I may not love it if I could not work on it. The hard start kits go out every three years (about $351 to repair). Carrier made a really good product prior to the mid to late 1980s. This must have been when they were sold or something. There is a notable decrease in quality of product (as with every other piece of junk manufacturer) It seems the govt regulation has done nothing but diminish the quality and durability of product, whilst at the same time increasing the cost incredibly. As an installer, my only hope is that the people who suffer the most are the ones who vote these lunatics into office. Sorry.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: J.E. Laws

"Carrier Three Piece System"
I bought my home place from my Mom in 2007. Still running today is the Carrier Three Piece System my Uncle Charles installed in 1979! The system has an outside unit, inside air handler, and the compressor is on the inside as well. I do not know why Carrier did not maintain a system design like this other than they last too long! My Uncle installed 12 of these systems in the area in the late 1970's early 1980's and is proud that 8 of them are still in operation today!! Best system ever in my opinion! My uncle is still a Carrier tech, but has become more of a Trane fan as far as new systems go. All in all, it is as my Uncle Charles says...."A system will only operate as well as it is installed! Get a crap installation and you will have nothing but trouble!" Well said I say!

Date created: 2010-05-26 Name: Jackie Carlisle

"Carrier Heat Pump"
Our Carrier heat pump was installed 04/2007. Recently, we noticed water pooling at the base of the plentum box. A service tech advised that the unit had a bad txv part, which was covered by Carrier's parts warranty, but labor to replace and materials were not covered. This part failure was allowing the A/C to freeze up, and the water would run off after the A/C thawed out. The service tech advised that he had seen this part failure before especially for units manufactured around 2006 & 2007. Our unit was manufactured 03/2007. We contacted Carrier regarding contribution towards the labor/materials to replace this part, to which Carrier has denied. We will not purchase a Carrier unit again.

Date created: 2010-05-25 Name: K. Wilson

"Carrier heat pump"
I bought the unit in 1995 and have had no problem with it except for needing to be refilled 2 or 3 times. Works great!

Date created: 2010-05-17 Name: Shane Justice
Location: Arizona

"Old Carrier Has Done Right By Me"
Excellent unit. Reasonable noise level outdoors (estimate about 80dB c weighted) Inside noise level almost imperceptible. Maintains greater- than 18 degree differential between inlet and register air. Good source of heat and cooling for winter/summer in Arizona. Unit original to house. Maintenance: Has required two condenser fan motors and associated capacitors, and one evaporator fan motor. Unit is a one-piece roof design. Never has needed freon in 24 years of operation. Have used electrostatic air filter for approximately 20 years.

Date created: 2010-05-15 Name: G. C.

"Unbelievable Machine"
I purchased a top of the line Carrier Split system 3 ton heat pump in 1987. It has operated 365 Days a year without a problem for the past 23 years until this spring. It has never been repaired or serviced despite annual reminders from the installing dealer to do semi-annual maintenance. I believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Recently, it simply quit working after a few weeks of making some unusual noise when the compressor starts. I am told that this split system is no longer available which is too bad because it is the quietest unit I have ever seen (or heard). The compressor is indoors in an insulated cabinet next to the furnace. It is so quiet when the compressor runs that you have to put your hand on the case to feel if it is vibrating. Outdoors is only a fan and coil. It is virtually silent. The only indication it is running is the leaves in the adjacent bushes are moving. I don't know why Carrier would not want to continue selling such a fantastic machine. With all of the negative comments I am reading, I am not sure which brand to choose. I am hoping it can be repaired. However, one dealer I called told me that they could look at it and possibly fix it. However, there was no guarantee and because it was so old, I should probably just put that money into a new Lennox machine. From what I read, these are real lemons.

Date created: 2010-05-05 Name: Chris C.

"Not Impressed in Middle Tennessee"
This has been my first experience with a heat pump after growing up in Indiana (gas furnace/AC). The house I bought has a Carrier unit and it has not been impressive. Granted this unit has 10+ years of life on it, I have easily spent $800 in hired repair in the last 3 years and more than that on repairs that I have done myself. IC board in condensor was replaced, relays in main unit were replaced, contactor was replaced, defrost sensor was replaced and just this week the reversing valve coil needed repairs as it had come apart. Also, the contacts on the compressor rotted off and I had to replace the contacts and the wiring from the contactor. I understand that stuff breaks over time but this unit as a whole seems very cheaply made and when it comes time for replacement, another Carrier will not be considered as a candidate.

Date created: 2010-05-04 Name: J. DesJardins

"Horrible Equipment, Horrible Cust Service"
5 years and 7 months ago, I bought a new Carrier system with a 10-year compressor warranty. The compressor is shot, with 4 years and 5 months remaining on the warranty. The company that originally installed the unit will charge more than the original unit cost to replace the compressor (which is still under warranty!!). Other companies I called will charge even more. Carrier's customer service rep was rude and dismissive when I called them seeking some kind of help. Will never spend the extra money for a supposed "top-quality" Carrier unit or the extra money for the worthless 10-year warranty again. Might was well buy the cheap unit and plan on replacing it every 5 years--the cost will be the same or cheaper. Very disappointed.

Date created: 2010-05-03 Name: Joe P.

"Do your homework"
After everything said and done. Most brands of heat pumps or air conditioners will probably be designed efficiently. Although some specific units will come out of the factory as having something slightly out of wack and will in short be a lemon. Cars are like that too. I tend to agree with those appealing to you to hire proper contractors. 90% of your problems are untrained retards doing all sorts of installation errors. I work as an maintenance technician in a plastic factory. And I have other men around me. Believe me when I tell you they'll do piss poor jobs all the time. I'm constantly going behind them to correct their mistakes. I'm about to replace a unit because my homework tells me that when the cost of repairing the unit is 50% or greater it's best to replace it. My father had a Carrier unit for 25 years and has had no problems except having to re-charge the coolant once due to a small leak.......do your homework!

Date created: 2010-04-30 Name: Jacky Phil

"Carrier Worst company to deal with"
Carrier is one of the worst companies to deal with. Even their local distribution centers have a horrible customer support. I owned 2 Carrier heat pumps and both units had trouble starting 5th year. I'm replacing them with Trane. After doing some research, I came up with the Trane as the best quality heat pump. Note: I'm not an A/C tech. I'm a normal customer. Each A/C techs or sales person say that their brand is best. Do your home work before buying any brand.