Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2010-08-05 Name: M. Crum

"Carrier 38YXA Heat Pump"
We have two systems,Heat Pumps 38yxa060310 and 38yxa036300 couples with two propane gas assit heat pumps 58mxa08020 and 58mxa08016 gas furnaces. Our 5 ton Heat P{ump has been nothing but trouble since it was installed on Dec 15, 1999. We've had at least 15 service calls for parts replacements and now, just past 10 years, the hvac techinician says our compressor is "fried" and we need a new one. We are terribly disappointed. We had a york system (low price low quality) in our last home and it lasted 13 years with no parts problems. Very disappointing.

Date created: 2010-07-26 Name: Robert Illan

"Breaks every 12 or 18 months, defective evaporator coil"
Model 50xz-036-311, is 5 years old has had defective evaporator coil replace twice already and now it failed once more in Jul 2010. Hopefully, it will be the same coil that was replaced in July 2009 for $590. Then I know for sure that I am still getting defective replacement parts.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: K. Johnson

"Good heat pumps"
I'll tell you what I moved in my house back 92. The unit at the time was a Carrier. House built 1986, original unit 22 yrs old finally started acting up. Actually still work before new. Just cut off few times. Now, have a Kenmore installed 7/31/08, almost 2 yrs old. Good so far. It's the freon that makes them last. Can't use r-22 no more. My neighbor still has his Carrier and is still kicking. Carrier is a good unit. Don't think they would last like old units. Went with Kenmore because of money, and because I figure Sears will stand behind their products.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Mike C.

"The older units are better, apparently"
I moved into my home in 1981. It had (and has) a roof mounted Carrier heat pump and has been working great ever since. There have been a couple of small repairs, but nothing expensive. In looking at the feedbacks, it appears that the units 10 years or older work great and the ones newer than 10 years are junk. This is sad because I am saving up for my next heat pump (it will eventually break, right?) and it looks like I can't rely on Carrier's quality. Rats! I tend to be a loyal customer. Good thing, there are these review web sites to save us from making big mistakes.

Date created: 2010-07-09 Name: R. Rivera

"Pretty much trouble free"
The Carrier heat pump has been working trouble free and without much maintenance for over 20 years. I live in a condo and the new more efficient equipment will not fit through the door, so I am now looking for alternative brands. But based on our experience, I highly recommend Carrier.

Date created: 2010-06-05 Name: J.E. Laws

"Carrier Three Piece System"
I bought my home place from my Mom in 2007. Still running today is the Carrier Three Piece System my Uncle Charles installed in 1979! The system has an outside unit, inside air handler, and the compressor is on the inside as well. I do not know why Carrier did not maintain a system design like this other than they last too long! My Uncle installed 12 of these systems in the area in the late 1970's early 1980's and is proud that 8 of them are still in operation today!! Best system ever in my opinion! My uncle is still a Carrier tech, but has become more of a Trane fan as far as new systems go. All in all, it is as my Uncle Charles says...."A system will only operate as well as it is installed! Get a crap installation and you will have nothing but trouble!" Well said I say!

Date created: 2010-05-26 Name: Jackie Carlisle

"Carrier Heat Pump"
Our Carrier heat pump was installed 04/2007. Recently, we noticed water pooling at the base of the plentum box. A service tech advised that the unit had a bad txv part, which was covered by Carrier's parts warranty, but labor to replace and materials were not covered. This part failure was allowing the A/C to freeze up, and the water would run off after the A/C thawed out. The service tech advised that he had seen this part failure before especially for units manufactured around 2006 & 2007. Our unit was manufactured 03/2007. We contacted Carrier regarding contribution towards the labor/materials to replace this part, to which Carrier has denied. We will not purchase a Carrier unit again.

Date created: 2010-05-25 Name: K. Wilson

"Carrier heat pump"
I bought the unit in 1995 and have had no problem with it except for needing to be refilled 2 or 3 times. Works great!

Date created: 2010-05-17 Name: Shane Justice
Location: Arizona

"Old Carrier Has Done Right By Me"
Excellent unit. Reasonable noise level outdoors (estimate about 80dB c weighted) Inside noise level almost imperceptible. Maintains greater- than 18 degree differential between inlet and register air. Good source of heat and cooling for winter/summer in Arizona. Unit original to house. Maintenance: Has required two condenser fan motors and associated capacitors, and one evaporator fan motor. Unit is a one-piece roof design. Never has needed freon in 24 years of operation. Have used electrostatic air filter for approximately 20 years.

Date created: 2010-05-15 Name: G. C.

"Unbelievable Machine"
I purchased a top of the line Carrier Split system 3 ton heat pump in 1987. It has operated 365 Days a year without a problem for the past 23 years until this spring. It has never been repaired or serviced despite annual reminders from the installing dealer to do semi-annual maintenance. I believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Recently, it simply quit working after a few weeks of making some unusual noise when the compressor starts. I am told that this split system is no longer available which is too bad because it is the quietest unit I have ever seen (or heard). The compressor is indoors in an insulated cabinet next to the furnace. It is so quiet when the compressor runs that you have to put your hand on the case to feel if it is vibrating. Outdoors is only a fan and coil. It is virtually silent. The only indication it is running is the leaves in the adjacent bushes are moving. I don't know why Carrier would not want to continue selling such a fantastic machine. With all of the negative comments I am reading, I am not sure which brand to choose. I am hoping it can be repaired. However, one dealer I called told me that they could look at it and possibly fix it. However, there was no guarantee and because it was so old, I should probably just put that money into a new Lennox machine. From what I read, these are real lemons.