Consumer Reviews of CARRIER heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about CARRIER heat pumps

Date created: 2015-05-19 Name: Greg
Location: Fairfax, VA

"13 years and strong"
We are the original owners of our house and replaced the original heat pump 13 years ago with Carrier. No service of any kind until today. We replaced 2 capacitors for $50 plus $150 labor. This 2 ton unit has worked nearly flawlessly. The heat in winter is adequate if not real warm, and the outside unit is a little loud. The service man says this is because of the connectors vibrating and is pretty normal. I think most problems people have are with using poor service technicians. We are in northern Virginia and use B & B and they have been great.

Date created: 2015-05-15 Location: Tampa, Florida

"Still pleased after 8 years"
9 years ago I bought a condo which came with a Goodman AC that was only a few years old. Unfortunately, it was poorly-installed and never was able to properly cool the house, along with $300-$400 electric bills as an added insult. After consulting with multiple contractors, the consensus was that the ductwork needed to be replaced, and refrigerant lines needed to be replaced (kinked line). After all of that work, it seemed natural to replace the nasty, noisy Goodman with something better. Enter the Carrier Infinity system. It's multi-stage, so it's usually running on low all day long. The Infinity controller does a good job of making sure humidity stays under 47% and there's usually a steady stream of water trickling out of the drain pipe all day long. With the way we did the ductwork and vents, the air handler is dead silent. Literally, you can't hear it running. Even with the mechanical closet open, you might be able to hear a faint movement of air, but not unless you're standing within a foot of the unit. The heat pump outdoors does make noise, but it's quieter than anything else in the neighborhood. It sits right by my patio and doesn't intrude on conversations like the old Goodman heat pump did. My neighbor's AC across from me is louder in my patio than the Carrier. Heat-wise, we've locked out the electric back-up heat, so the heat pump has to carry the full load. And it does so up until it gets below 20F or so outside. On those cold spells when it barely gets to 40F outside, I'll just leave the heat pump running 24/7. It may not have enough capacity left at the cold temperatures to increase the indoor temperature, but it has plenty to keep up with the heat loss of the condo. Dislikes? It's big.. very big. Enough that the HoA complained to code enforcement. Code enforcement told them to deal with it -- it was properly installed and all the new equipment is larger. Repairs.. so far, none...and I hope it stays that way. I'd imagine parts for this won't be cheap. All in all, very pleased. Would I replace it with the same thing again? Absolutely. When it was time to replace my parents' AC system, I put a Carrier Infinity in there as well. Even at a beach location it still handles the humidity well.

Date created: 2015-03-28 Name: jim
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

"Carrier heat pump"
Heat pump was purchased for $5330.00 in 10/13. The first complaint is the heat pump does not blow even warm air. The temperature at the register is 65 degrees, it creates a draft, no heat, and runs continuously till you manually turn on the emergency heat, which is my gas furnace, a Heil gas furnace that works very well. The service man, after 4 tries to fix it, called Carrier to help with the problem. Now it does not work at all. I called Carrier customer service. They said it was out of warranty, Carrier would not do anything. Carrier's customer service is as good as their product.

Date created: 2015-03-16 Name: D Dev
Location: United States

"Hate this heat pump"
We put in a Carrier heat pump in November and we have had nothing but problems, from it not coming on to high electric bills - $600.00, which is very high for our area. The local electric company is sending someone out. I have called the installers probably no less than 20 times. They put in 4 new thermostats and said it's what is wrong. I don't care at this point, I hate this. Our 46-year-old furnace ran better than this pos.

Date created: 2015-03-03 Name: G. Young
Location: United States

"Expensive heat pump already requires repair"
Building our home in 2012, we selected a Carrier heat pump because of its efficiency and alleged reliability. Little more than 2 years later, we're now suffering through almost $400 labor costs to repair our relatively young Carrier heat pump because the outdoor fan bearings failed and the fan motor must be replaced. When I asked Carrier for credit against these $400 labor costs, Nicole stated she's "bound by the manufacturer's warranty" so she cannot pay for labor on a part that admittedly failed way too soon. Be careful of putting too much trust in the Carrier reliability. They're not willing to do what's right for the customer.

Date created: 2015-02-25 Name: V Knox
Location: Ft. Oglethorpe, GA

"I had a Carrier installed. I paid for a 3 1/2 ton & the installer put a 3 ton in. I was swindled..."
It has held up pretty good. But I paid for a 3 1/2 ton & the man who put it in put a 3 ton in instead. I have had it fixed once & the part was replaced and the thermostat also. His last name was Snyder from Chickamauga, & the name of his business was Dependable Air. So beware of who puts your new unit in. Fraudulent people are out there to beat you. I was out a lot of money, but when it was fixed last, this air conditioner man was very honest & told me I had a 3 ton, not the 3 1/2 ton for which I paid.

Date created: 2015-01-25 Name: j wade
Location: Murray, KY

"50EZ package unit installed in West Kentucky in 2009"
This heat pump unit was installed to a double wide 1500 square foot home. It's a 4 ton unit. It basically is not suited for mobile homes, because it does not have a high static motor on the compressor. Though we had to find out the hard way, the unit lasted less than 3 years at a total of $6,000, including installation. It had many issues, including a bad thermostat and ultimately the compressor itself at the end. The heat pump unit quit just outside of warranty. The unit performed poorly when it did work right. It also used excessive power consumption. It was scrapped after the compressor went bad. The Carrier Corporation at Indiana was no help whatsoever, and the approved installer told us that the ones who installed it had been replaced with new people. After this junk expired, I bought an old used 3 ton Miller A/C only unit for $120 and it has run these last 2.5 summers flawlessly.

Date created: 2015-01-21 Name: A. Coleman
Location: Culpeper, VA

"Piece of junk"
I am sitting here freezing - again - because this piece of junk is broken down. It is 2 years old and I have had nothing but trouble ever since I spent $7,080 on it. After less than a year the motor had to be replaced, it was under "warranty" but it cost me $600 for the installation of a new one! Now it is putting out cold air. It has frozen up constantly ever since it was installed. No! I will never have another Carrier! I had 2 heat pumps before this and never had problems with them till they were old.

Date created: 2014-12-05 Name: D. Hitchler
Location: Newberry, FL

"Horrible customer care"
I purchased a new house with a Carrier heat pump 38YCC036-3 in 2005. The coil started to leak in 2009. The service company went over to stop the leak and charged $600. It lasted a few years, then did it again in 2011 and cost another $600. I called customer service. The warranty is now 10 years but when we bought our unit it was 5 years. I have to get a new unit and it will cost in the $4800 range. The neighborhood we live in has had many of the same problems and replaced many of the same units. Carrier is a horrible, low-quality product company. I'm very disappointed in the service, they seem to not care about the consumers. To make a long story short, they suck.

Date created: 2014-10-01 Name: Bruce Alger
Location: Short Pump, VA

"All Carrier is junk!"
As a HVAC installer, I have installed many different units. Carrier is by far the worst, has the most call backs, and is just cheap. From a residential 1.5 ton unit to a 60 ton commercial unit, they have cheapened their equipment so bad that it is insane. They don't honor their warranties and they are using LG compressors in their already pos units. Expect to get a call back on one of every three Carrier units you install. They are junk. It's just a name. It was great 30 years ago. Today, it leads the field, along with Lennox, as the cheapest-made HVAC equipment on the market. Stay away!