Consumer Reviews of Bryant heat pumps

Read more about Bryant heat pumps

Date created: 2010-03-17 Name: JP

"No more heat pumps"
I replaced my complete HVAC system in 06 with a Bryant furnace and heat pump. Thank goodness for the warranty and the maintenance program that I maintain with the company, otherwise I would not have been able to afford the repairs after spending nearly $7000 on the system. I thought buying a heat pump was a smart decision, but it turned out to be the worst I have ever made. Efficiency is not worth the aggravation. I have not had a good night's sleep during the winter months since it's installation. Many nights, I put the furnace on emergency heat just to have a peaceful evening. Even the neighbors have commented on how much noise this system makes. As I prepare to purchase a new HVAC system for a rental property, neither a heat pump or Bryant will be in the equation.

Date created: 2010-01-29 Name: Art

"Pretty poor"
Top of the line unit never worked properly. What makes us angry is the fact that we found out too late that Bryant will never speak directly with a consumer, only an authorized dealer.

Date created: 2010-01-05 Name: Timothy Franco

"This is the worst piece of crap"
I don't know who let these things be sold but shame on them! I've put over a grand into this junk and my repairman still cant figure it out.

Date created: 2009-12-31 Name: James P Higgins

"Happy camper"
We were met and set up by a caring (installer) Bryant rep from Lincoln NE. He answered a barrage of questions explaining the pros and cons for getting a heat pump instead of just an air conditioner. He then figured up all the particulars needed to balance the system for maximum efficiency, then sent all the info to get it looked at by a Bryant system engineer. We also installed a natural gas backup furnace as well as the heat pump. Over the years, we have had only had 2 service calls in 15 years and that was because the freon was low. We are elated that we bought from Bryant and would recommend a system to anyone. I keep the unit clean and cleared of snow and vegetation and have no complaints at all.

Date created: 2009-10-15 Name: David

"288A Evolution"
After reading the reviews of the others I thought I would write a comment. It sounds like many have had installer problems and it's really not equipment problems. My first concern when I was looking for a Air Conditioning Heat Pump system was the installation company. I found what I thought was the best a/c company in my area. They sold Bryant Systems and so I did a research on Bryant and found the 288a was Consumer Digest Best Buy. I also wanted the Zone Control since Bryant has the state of the art system in zone control. Now I can control my office when I need. The master bed room is no longer hot since it now has it's own smart sensor. and huge thing, I will say it is very quiet! The system looked big so I was worried that it was going to make noise like my last trane system and it was by a bedroom window but I honestly can say I can't hear it run inside! The Air Handler inside my hall closet I can't even hear it run when it's on low speed. The only way I know it runs is when the Thermostat tells me. Glad I went with the Bryant!

Date created: 2009-08-01 Name: B. Lehman

"Bryant Heat Pump"
We had this system put in 3 years ago and so far it has broken down twice. The first year it worked fine, the second year the internal crankcase heater went out in it and they replaced it with an external heater. Now a year later the compressor has gone out and that takes 7 to 15 days to get. And this is their high end Evolution Two Stage System Model 286a.

Date created: 2009-06-01 Name: J. Freeman

"Bryant Beware!"
We inherited a Bryant heat pump system when we purchased our home 3 years ago. The unit was installed 11/17/00 so it is 8 1/2 years old at this point. Upon the first break down a few months after moving in, I got out the hvac file - previous owner kept meticulous records. I couldn't believe the number of repairs that had been done in 5 years. I added up the costs: in the first 5 years, $953 in service contract costs & $2816 in repair parts & labor. The previous owners had purchased a 12 year service/repair contract which we paid to have transferred to us. The system has been serviced twice a year since installation. And the service contract covered most of the repairs. It breaks down about 4 times a year. I'm sure every part has been replaced at least once. They are coming today to install the fourth compressor. The entire lower level of our home has flooded twice from the humidifier, soaking the carpeting. Of course the contract didn't cover the two expensive floods & the aggravation of being cold or hot for days, waiting for parts & repairs. And the contract increases in price every year. I had another company come in to get an independent perspective. The unit wasn't installed properly, so that no doubt adds to the poor performance. The wiring was dangerous & had to be redone. They said the unit had had many more repairs than you'd expect in 20+ years. I had the Bryant area manager come in. Basically they feel no responsibility for this. The warranty now has been cancelled because of the number of repairs - there are maximum limits & this unit exceeded those years ago. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend Bryant.

Date created: 2009-04-07 Name: BRYANT HTG & COOLING SYS

"Bryant Heat Pumps are Terrible!!"
Bryant systems suck!!! The 1st day the Bryant system was installed in my home was one of the worst days of my life. The name of the Heat Pump was a Quiet Whisper. What a joke. When the unit kicks on the whole house sounds like a massive wind tunnel. The air coming out of the vents is so loud that I have to turn up my tv when the system kicks on. I've hated it from day one. The outside unit is so noisy, (it's next to my bedroom) that I have two bedroom fans that I have to run in my bedroom to drown out the vibrating, noisy unit. I've spent hundreds of hours trying to quiet the unit down. I've put damppening rubber supports under the compressor. I've tried putting insulation under the outside unit. I've tried insulating the copper tubing coming into the home. I've tried many, many many things to quiet it down. My Bryant dealer did nothing to help me. I tried contacting Bryant directly, and they were completely rude and uncaring. I've never dealt with a company that is so arrogant. In fact, I threatened to sue them with a lawsuit, and they told me to bring it on... never buy a bryant. After 11 long, noisy, sleepless years, my wife and I have thrown in the towel and are going out tomorrow to start pricing a new system. Currently we are looking at a new Lennox system. Lennox systems are rated very, very efficient and quiet. Feel free to email me with questions. I hope I can save one unknowing consumer from making the same mistake that I made.

Date created: 2008-12-30 Name: Jon
Location: Pennsylvania

"Bryant Heatpump"
The Bryant system was installed 19 years ago when our home was built, and it is still running! The thermostat just recently went wacky, but the heat pump and air handler still run fine. Do yourself a favor, have your heat pump system serviced at least once per year! We did, and it has lasted far longer than it was supposed to last.

Date created: 2008-12-23 Name: H L Moore
Location: Georgia

"Bryant Dealer"
We live near Atlanta,GA and after almost 14 years had to replace our downstairs heat pump (Split System)We found our local dealer on the Bryant website. Local dealer brings unit to our home and installs it 12/12/08 without filter?DUH Should have seen this one comming.Wife had to go buy filter at home depot . Bryant contacted state rep who says he will arrange meeting with our dealer because unit will not work properly and dealer comes to our home and does not understand how to read error codes and can not fix the system? Dealer states we need and electrician to fix our system????Dealer will not give a receipt for us to get 350.00 dollar rebate from our power company????