Consumer Reviews of Ameristar heat pumps

Date created: 2016-05-27 Name: N. Roth
Location: Dover, DE

"Worst ever - out twice in a bit over a year"
Our builder put this unit in for us April 2015 and frankly had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have bothered. First, in November 2015 during a cold snap here in Delaware the heating part went out. Just quit. Put in an emergency call and was told that a board had shorted out and it would be replaced in a few days. Repairman did a "temporary fix". Took 3 months to get the part as it had to be shipped from China. Now in May 2016, on the very first day we used it this year and of course just 6 weeks out of labor warranty the AC quit. We are still waiting for them to show up to see what it wrong this time, but of course the labor will not be covered. I hate to think what it will cost us. I think this unit is a lemon and I am going to ask to have it replaced. Plus I was never told that in order to double my warranty on parts to 10 years I would have to register it online. All the paperwork was stuck to the side of the unit with no information given to us. So we are stuck with a 5 year warranty on this piece of junk. I don't understand why merely registering it online should make it a better warranty. Unfortunately if we can't get it replaced as defective we will be stuck having to purchase something else before the 5 years is up, or until it fails again at which time it will be immediately replaced. We have owned heat pumps in other houses and never, ever had these types of problems.

Date created: 2016-01-11 Name: Bobbie
Location: Vine Grove, KY

"Wasn't a good product"
I've had my unit 17 months and it's out for the second time. This time supposedly it's both heating elements. What upsets me is that they're charging me a $45 trip charge just to bring the part out of Louisville. $75 just to tell me what was wrong, another $135 to put the part in. So a grand total of $255. I will never buy this product again.

Date created: 2014-06-17 Name: David
Location: Dallas Texas

"Keeping hot and cool"
I've had this 5 ton 13 seer unit installed since March 2014 with a Honeywell 8000 wireless router that's set to auto heat set at 68 and a/c 72. The heat is neat if you open the door and a cold rush's by the thermostat 15kw will kick in for 5 minutes and if that doesn't work another will kick in and so on till 20kw. Then goes back to normal. Home is open 2500 square foot tail floor. Still need socks on feet. So when it did warm up outside like it does Texas 93 right now it switched over a/c 72 and holding. My hvac guy balanced the system all the rooms are same temperature. PS: installed an air scrubber by activTek amazing no dog smell or trash can or that smell in kids room just clean air. It mimics ozone which too much is bad for you. It dies down after two weeks.

Date created: 2013-12-10 Name: Mark Thieret
Location: Groveport Ohio

"1 year old Broken Twice"
About 9 months in this system failed and the company that put it in said the part was not available but they could put in an expansion valve that would fix it. Now the fan motor has quit and I have to pay $145.00 to have it put in.