Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Andrew Payne

"Garbage"
Built our house in 2007 and the builder supplied and installed as part of the build I never paid any attention to the brand because I know nothing about heat pumps. Since installing, we have had 6 service calls. The first 2 were under the builder's warranty. Balancing issues and a capacitor. We have paid for 4 service calls in 2 years and replaced another capacitor, rewired part of the unit and replaced the compressor yesterday. And today, it stopped working again. The compressor was under warranty but it costs $720 including the refrigerant to swap it out and that was with the local as dealer. At this point, I wish they'd just replace the unit. I've spent over $1500 in two years repairing my "new" unit. Nowhere in the warranty does it say anything about replacing the whole unit but at some point they should.

Date created: 2010-07-09 Name: Pete Claggett

"Heritage 20 heat pump"
This thing is quite and a great energy saver. Definitely the best.
Date created: 2010-06-18 Name: W. Alwis

" unreliable heat pump poor construction"
My unit is constantly breaking down. The limited warranty is indeed very limited. It just cover parts. The servicing cost is horrendous. This came installed in a new house we bought. The construction people must have got a good deal on this crappy item.
Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: 3 Iggys

"Pleased"
I've been pleased with our heat pump we purchased 3 years ago. Our energy bills are somewhat smaller but without the rising cost of energy. I could have probably seen a bigger difference in annual heating and cooling costs. I rely on Benchmark A/C to install the unit and keep it functioning properly year after year with an annual checkup.
Date created: 2010-05-29 Name: Gary Swihart

"American Standard Heat Pump"
This product has been a problem right from the beginning. Today, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, the fan in the heat pump has quit running. Not a happy camper.
Date created: 2010-05-24 Name: Pete

"Strip heat coming on at 40 degrees"
If you're switching over to backup heat too soon (40 degrees is too soon), you should be able to drop your switch over temperature through a setting on the outdoor unit or through the programming mode of your thermostat. I set mine to 30 or 35 degrees depending on the relative price of gas/elect. But I have gas furnace backup. My workplace runs on heat pumps/strip heat only and they run all the way down into the 20s without freezing up and it's still comfortable inside.
Date created: 2010-05-19 Name: Donal & Jo Ann Grim

"Grim"
Brand new home 5 years young - I need to replace my whole system 4900.00 Yeesh!
Date created: 2010-04-26 Name: Sharon Allen

"American Standard Dealer and Trane Owner"
Yes to answer the question from Teresa. We have installed the Accuclean and it is awesome. The customer we installed it for loves it and the American Standard. And to the rest of you people, you have to get a certified, bonded, responsible person to install this system and then you will have quality work and not have to worry about minor problems. Good luck!
Date created: 2010-03-25 Name: D. Atkinson

"Select Service LLC"
After reading these reviews, I have to comment. I sell and install American Standard equipment for a living. We have found the products to be very reliable and efficient. You, as a consumer need to ask your contractor some pointed questions before you hand over any money! Are your technicians nate certified? Will you be doing a computer load calculation on my home to properly size the unit? Ask for them to show you the load calculation! Ask about their install practices. Do you purge wit nitrogen before brazing? Do you use a vacuum pump? Do you use or know what a micron gauge is? Are they listed on the Amer Std website? Are they listed on the web site as a "customer care dealer"? Are they members of the BBB? Don't shop for the lowest price and assume it is being installed properly. It is cheaper for a reason! They have hired cheap, trained help who want to get the job slammed into place so they can go home. Don't buy into it. Regards, Dana Atkinson, Owner and Manager. Select Service LLC
Date created: 2010-03-12 Name: Kathy Biermann

"Dissatified customer"
I purchased this American Standard heat pump & furnace and my bills have been just as high as my old heat pump. I was told that this is rated just as good as Trane. However, my electric bills have not been any better than what I replaced. I have a thremastate that can be controlled, however the person that put this in doesn't know how to work it and I have tried and tried and tried. I need someone to walk me through how to set this thermostat so I can have cheap bills. My other heat pump was making horrible noise and my bills were getting higher and higher and I thought that this was the heat pump going bad but I really think that my old heat pump was just as good as this new piece of junk. I am not satisfied with the furnace nor heat pump and I spent a lot of money and the old one was only 10 years old. I would like for someone to contact me and tell me why this is not efficient like I was told.