Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2010-10-14 Name: K. Marolla
Location: Richmond, VA

"Solid Machines"
I have two 16 SEER American Standard heat pumps in my house. I had the contractor take out a two year old Carrier heat pump that was doing both floors. We put a new heat pump on each level. Even though we took out a 4 ton Carrier, and put in 5 tons of 16 SEER American Standard heat pumps, my electric bill went down about 30%. I have had these units now for 3 yrs, and other than my service contract visits for cleaning, there have been no problems. My 10 yr parts and labor warranty is a nice comfort though.

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: N. Haile
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Triumph® 4YCZ6 Gas/Electric System - LOUD"
We bought this because we needed a highly efficient unit and it was rated as "•Quietest performance on the market."WRONG. Within the first couple of months of operation in Tucson, AZ, where we kept the thermostat at 77 degrees, we began hearing a chirping noise, almost like a loose belt. Knowing there are no belts, our dealer was very puzzled. He's tried several times to alleviate the issue, contacted the regional tech rep for American Standard (no visit from them yet). I made recordings of the noises, as they increased and became so loud we couldn't hear the TV. Sent the audio files to my dealer & the Tech. The Tech said they sent to nat'l and no one had ever heard those sounds before from that unit. That was 3 months ago and we still have a loud unit. Our dealer has tried several times to adjust vibration pads, everything he can think of, but no help. The Regional Tech has yet to appear, even after multiple emails and contacts. Do not buy American Standard.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Andrew Payne

"Garbage"
Built our house in 2007 and the builder supplied and installed as part of the build I never paid any attention to the brand because I know nothing about heat pumps. Since installing, we have had 6 service calls. The first 2 were under the builder's warranty. Balancing issues and a capacitor. We have paid for 4 service calls in 2 years and replaced another capacitor, rewired part of the unit and replaced the compressor yesterday. And today, it stopped working again. The compressor was under warranty but it costs $720 including the refrigerant to swap it out and that was with the local as dealer. At this point, I wish they'd just replace the unit. I've spent over $1500 in two years repairing my "new" unit. Nowhere in the warranty does it say anything about replacing the whole unit but at some point they should.

Date created: 2010-07-09 Name: Pete Claggett

"Heritage 20 heat pump"
This thing is quite and a great energy saver. Definitely the best.

Date created: 2010-06-18 Name: W. Alwis

" unreliable heat pump poor construction"
My unit is constantly breaking down. The limited warranty is indeed very limited. It just cover parts. The servicing cost is horrendous. This came installed in a new house we bought. The construction people must have got a good deal on this crappy item.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: 3 Iggys

"Pleased"
I've been pleased with our heat pump we purchased 3 years ago. Our energy bills are somewhat smaller but without the rising cost of energy. I could have probably seen a bigger difference in annual heating and cooling costs. I rely on Benchmark A/C to install the unit and keep it functioning properly year after year with an annual checkup.

Date created: 2010-05-29 Name: Gary Swihart

"American Standard Heat Pump"
This product has been a problem right from the beginning. Today, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, the fan in the heat pump has quit running. Not a happy camper.

Date created: 2010-05-24 Name: Pete

"Strip heat coming on at 40 degrees"
If you're switching over to backup heat too soon (40 degrees is too soon), you should be able to drop your switchover temperature through a setting on the outdoor unit or through the programming mode of your thermostat. I set mine to 30 or 35 degrees depending on the relative price of gas/elect. but I have gas furnace backup. My workplace runs on heat pumps/strip heat only and they run all the way down into the 20s without freezing up and it's still comfortable inside.

Date created: 2010-05-19 Name: Donal & Jo Ann Grim

"Grim"
Brand new home 5 years young - I need to replace my whole system 4900.00 Yeesh!

Date created: 2010-04-26 Name: Sharon Allen

"American Standard Dealer and Trane Owner"
Yes to answer the question from Teresa. We have installed the Accuclean and it is awesome. The customer we installed it for loves it and the American Standard. And to the rest of you people, you have to get a certified, bonded, responsible person to install this system and then you will have quality work and not have to worry about minor problems. Good luck!