Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2010-11-20 Name: Ken Bates
Location: Holiday Island, AR

"16 Seer Heat Pump"
Was sold this 16 Seer unit 3 years ago. The first year had to replace a rectifier in the staging circuit, the reversing valve, compressor, thermostat, fan control board and electronic filter control. There is a large opening in the outdoor unit where the lines go into it that allows rodents to get in and chew the wiring which they say is not covered by the original or extended warranty. It works OK as an AC but still is not as effective as the 20 year old Ruud heat pump unit that it replaced and is so noisy that it wakes you up sometimes when in high fan speed. Don't see how it ever was approved for use under the current regulations. I certainly would not recommend this unit to anyone.

Date created: 2010-11-17 Name: Ray Stinnett
Location: De Queen, AR

"INSTALLING DEALER MAKES ALL THE DIFFERANCE"
I read all these reviews about how displeased some people are and almost all are dealer/installer problems. PEOPLE, CHECK OUT THE BACKGROUND ON ANY DEALER YOU ARE CONSIDERING USING. That will make all the differance in the world. Not just with TRANE/AMERICAN STANDARD either. They are definetly the best equipment built, but it all comes down to installation. Also, don't pay super high labor costs. Check around for price and quality. We habe been selling GE since 1970, TRANE since 1982, and AMERICAN STANDARD since 2007. We also carry cheaper units as well but they are nowhere near the same quality. Ray Stinnett

Date created: 2010-10-16 Name: a smith

"Don't be fooled by your local contractors"
I have a american standard unit My company install. We are not a member of the bbb, nate certified or on american standard website. Why? Because each one of those services will cost you as a customer about $300-$400 everytime a tech comes to your home. Nate certified is a joke, I have been all the nate classes from a company I work for before going on my own, it is a money scam that is pass on to the customer. The bbb is where for enough money the companies can buy there grade. But make sure your contractor is size the correct duct work and unit, you can not put a 5 ton unit in a space that is for a 3 ton, if you have lost a compressor, that is why.

Date created: 2010-10-14 Name: K. Marolla
Location: Richmond, VA

"Solid Machines"
I have two 16 SEER American Standard heat pumps in my house. I had the contractor take out a two year old Carrier heat pump that was doing both floors. We put a new heat pump on each level. Even though we took out a 4 ton Carrier, and put in 5 tons of 16 SEER American Standard heat pumps, my electric bill went down about 30%. I have had these units now for 3 yrs, and other than my service contract visits for cleaning, there have been no problems. My 10 yr parts and labor warranty is a nice comfort though.

Date created: 2010-09-23 Name: N. Haile
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Triumph® 4YCZ6 Gas/Electric System - LOUD"
We bought this because we needed a highly efficient unit and it was rated as "•Quietest performance on the market."WRONG. Within the first couple of months of operation in Tucson, AZ, where we kept the thermostat at 77 degrees, we began hearing a chirping noise, almost like a loose belt. Knowing there are no belts, our dealer was very puzzled. He's tried several times to alleviate the issue, contacted the regional tech rep for American Standard (no visit from them yet). I made recordings of the noises, as they increased and became so loud we couldn't hear the TV. Sent the audio files to my dealer & the Tech. The Tech said they sent to nat'l and no one had ever heard those sounds before from that unit. That was 3 months ago and we still have a loud unit. Our dealer has tried several times to adjust vibration pads, everything he can think of, but no help. The Regional Tech has yet to appear, even after multiple emails and contacts. Do not buy American Standard.

Date created: 2010-07-20 Name: Andrew Payne

"Garbage"
Built our house in 2007 and the builder supplied and installed as part of the build I never paid any attention to the brand because I know nothing about heat pumps. Since installing, we have had 6 service calls. The first 2 were under the builder's warranty. Balancing issues and a capacitor. We have paid for 4 service calls in 2 years and replaced another capacitor, rewired part of the unit and replaced the compressor yesterday. And today, it stopped working again. The compressor was under warranty but it costs $720 including the refrigerant to swap it out and that was with the local as dealer. At this point, I wish they'd just replace the unit. I've spent over $1500 in two years repairing my "new" unit. Nowhere in the warranty does it say anything about replacing the whole unit but at some point they should.

Date created: 2010-07-09 Name: Pete Claggett

"Heritage 20 heat pump"
This thing is quite and a great energy saver. Definitely the best.

Date created: 2010-06-18 Name: W. Alwis

" unreliable heat pump poor construction"
My unit is constantly breaking down. The limited warranty is indeed very limited. It just cover parts. The servicing cost is horrendous. This came installed in a new house we bought. The construction people must have got a good deal on this crappy item.

Date created: 2010-06-01 Name: 3 Iggys

"Pleased"
I've been pleased with our heat pump we purchased 3 years ago. Our energy bills are somewhat smaller but without the rising cost of energy. I could have probably seen a bigger difference in annual heating and cooling costs. I rely on Benchmark A/C to install the unit and keep it functioning properly year after year with an annual checkup.

Date created: 2010-05-29 Name: Gary Swihart

"American Standard Heat Pump"
This product has been a problem right from the beginning. Today, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, the fan in the heat pump has quit running. Not a happy camper.