Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Kyle
Location: Kentucky

"Used to be good"
I have sold American Standard for the past 10 years and am a Customer Care Dealer. My company has all NATE certified employees and we put in the time for the best training that is offered. We installed around 150 American Standard systems every year and the last 2 years we have to go back and repair 60% of these systems. Customers have lost money and my company has lost money. The problem is, American Standard & Trane keeps changing the design of these systems every year if not twice a year due to design problems. The air handlers tam4, tam7 & tam8 have major design issues and the heater kits as well as the boards keep giving problems. When parts are needed many distributors have to order them from the factory in Tyler Texas and the down time is usually within a week or so. Customers should never have to wait this long. As the President and CEO of my company we have decided to sell Carrier as our top brand. Bottom line is, customers deserve better. And American Standard currently doesn't cut it.

Date created: 2014-01-16 Name: B Gansemer
Location: Gravois Mills, Mo. 65037

"Stay away from American Standard Heat Pumps"
My American Standard 20 seer heat pump is 2.5 years old. Purchased in July of 2011. My heating and cooling service contractor (Comfort Zone) in Sunrise Beach, Mo. Recommended this unit as one of the best on the market. I had the heat pump and air handler installed at the same time at a cost of just over $9000. In December 2013 my electric bill jumped from $120 to $290 with no noticeable change in the average outdoor temp. Shortly there after the heat pump quit and I had to switch to emergency heat in order to heat my house. When the service tech arrived he found that the unit was low on freon. As he had no equipment on his truck he had to come back another day to find the leak. The leak was located in the a coil and another was ordered as the coil was still under warranty. I was told that American Standard had cut down on the quantity of copper used to manufacture the coil and this was a known problem since 3 years prior. I was sold a heat pump with know defects and was never notified of the problem. The a coils are now aluminum as a result of the problems. My service person just left me with a bill for $615 for installation charges. My advice to anyone who reads this in stay away from American Standard and Trane as they are both the same units. The only difference is the label on the equipment

Date created: 2013-12-31 Name: T & T
Location: NE Tenn

"Very Expensive Mistake"
Aparently we have been mis-led on the quality of American Standard. Only had it a few months so far and the service tech comes on a regular basis. Obviously we bought a piece of crap.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: R Spaulding
Location: Phoenix, Ariaona

"Piece of Junk Heat Pump"
In need of a heating and cooling unit. I called my service person and he came to my house and installed an American Standard 4-ton unit. From day one, the unit's compressor has a terrible rumble to it. Reason I know it is compressor is when compressor shuts down and condenser fan runs to equalize pressure. I don't know if the blower is running as the blower is so quiet. I was told that Trane is having serious problems with this particular unit with the compressor being noisy and having to replace the compressor. I think Ingersoll Rand/Trane/American Standard had better get their act together as their units are a piece of junk and I am stuck with it.

Date created: 2013-11-19 Name: Jim Patterson
Location: southampton, ma

"AccuLink Nightmare"
The AccuLink system and its factory backing is one of the biggest nightmares I have encountered in my 25 years of HVAC contracting business. We specialize in the high-end, complex type of control system and have used similar systems (Carrier Infinity) for over a decade and very successfully. A recent client wanted the AccuLink system from American Standard and it has been a disaster. Let me first say that the factory support (locally - the tech guys in Texas were great) at the local levels does not exist. No training, complete lack of experience, rep never returns calls. The installation itself was plagued with product failures. The AM8 air handlers required board upgrades, the heat pump board failed after a week, two zone damper motors failed within 1 month, and one of the platinum series thermostats failed after 4 months. On top of this, I returned for at least 6 software upgrades/reloads to repair some of the zoning problems. As a contractor, I've eaten close to $3800 in lost labor revenue and received zero assistance from the manufacturer and they are also unwilling to compensate the homeowner for their aggravation.

Date created: 2013-07-12 Name: S Storms
Location: tempe, AZ

"Don't Buy American Standard It's Not American"
8 years old and it's gone through 3 inside fan motors and one condenser fan motor at $1100 each. I could have bought a new unit for that.

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: T. Fortuna
Location: West Virginia

"Constantly Repaired"
My brother-in-law, I should stop here. He was an American Standard seller/installer so he recommended the Heritage 14 heat pump. I got to say, when it works, it works. We've owned it now for 7 years and have had constant repairs on it after the 2nd year. It usually happens in the cooling mode. I got a box of used capacitors, 2 delay relays, plus a replacement compressor that was under warranty that cost me another $800 for shipping/installation, dozens of burnt 30 amp fuses and one fan motor. This year we put a hard start kit on it and it worked for 1 hr 27 minutes before the fuses blew again. If your someone that stands behind this product, make sure you stand way back. Shop for something besides Trane and A.S.

Date created: 2013-05-21 Name: R Wilson
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas

"I Purchased this Complete 2 Ton Replacement System"
I purchased this complete 2 ton replacement system in January 2008. During the first year I had to replace the thermostat. In January 2012, I had to have the air handler repaired. Now about 5 months after the warranty has expired on the outside unit, the fan motor has gone out and damaged the compressor and this unit must be replaced. This system has been very unsatisfactory and I am replacing the entire system with another brand. I would not recommend this unit.

Date created: 2013-03-06 Name: S. Murphy
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Heat pump 18 seer a/c & heater"
Purchased one in 2007. Another in 2011. The warranty dropped from 10 years to 1/5. My newest unit has a freon leak 2 years and some months after installation. Because the manufacturer is strict honoring warranty work with the installer (if ae disagrees that a replaced part was damaged they won't pay the installer), expect multiple expensive tests done by the installer before they will replace parts under warranty. Even after the tests, the installer may not know for sure what the problem is. I purchased the product even though it tends to be more expensive because I assumed the maker would stand behind the product. Not anymore! Save your money. Go with another brand. Don't walk. run!!

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: Diana Edwards
Location: Climax, NC

"21 year old"
Today the American Standard heat pump with Trane compressor is being replaced after 21 years. Yes, you read that correctly, 21 years. I cannot complain really. I will take my chances again and again after that type of service from an excellent producer!