Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2014-10-18 Name: P. Duchesne
Location: Brossard, CA

"Overall a very good product"
I saw many bad reviews for American Standard and given that we owned a Heritage 12 for 11 years, I wanted to share my own experience. We bought the unit in 2003, and after 8 years, the compressor died. We had a 10 years warranty for the compressor, which has been changed with no problem with a good contractor. After two years, the compressor died again. But the maintenance cost was very low, and from my experience, you can not really expect a heat pump to work for a lot more that 10 years. We have a very good contractor, and now we just bought a brand new Accoaire 15 SEER. But I will miss my American Standard heat pump. It was pretty good; efficient, quiet, and overall I found it a good product.

Date created: 2014-03-19 Name: S. Hodges
Location: north carolina

"Homeowner"
Unit installed on January 9, 2014. I called the owner of the installing company on January 10. That unit would not turn off after set temp had been reached (fan ran constantly). Repairman came that day, and replaced the thermostat 2 days later. The unit is doing the same thing. Put in another thermostat. 1 week later unit freezing up. Owner of company that sold me unit called American Standard & told problems they told him to replace the "Deflector Board" & they did. Within a week unit freezing up again. (I was having to use emergency heat to stay warm). Called Standard tech again & was told to replace the "Coil Sensor", well within a week doing same things again. Have filed a detailed complaint with their product problem "Escalation Manager" On March 11th. She Promised she would get back to me with some answers the next day , well it is Now the 19th. & not heard a word from her.

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Kyle
Location: Kentucky

"Used to be good"
I have sold American Standard for the past 10 years and am a Customer Care Dealer. My company has all NATE certified employees and we put in the time for the best training that is offered. We installed around 150 American Standard systems every year and the last 2 years we have to go back and repair 60% of these systems. Customers have lost money and my company has lost money. The problem is, American Standard & Trane keeps changing the design of these systems every year if not twice a year due to design problems. The air handlers tam4, tam7 & tam8 have major design issues and the heater kits as well as the boards keep giving problems. When parts are needed many distributors have to order them from the factory in Tyler Texas and the down time is usually within a week or so. Customers should never have to wait this long. As the President and CEO of my company we have decided to sell Carrier as our top brand. Bottom line is, customers deserve better. And American Standard currently doesn't cut it.

Date created: 2014-01-16 Name: B Gansemer
Location: Gravois Mills, Mo. 65037

"Stay away from American Standard Heat Pumps"
My American Standard 20 seer heat pump is 2.5 years old. Purchased in July of 2011. My heating and cooling service contractor (Comfort Zone) in Sunrise Beach, Mo. Recommended this unit as one of the best on the market. I had the heat pump and air handler installed at the same time at a cost of just over $9000. In December 2013 my electric bill jumped from $120 to $290 with no noticeable change in the average outdoor temp. Shortly there after the heat pump quit and I had to switch to emergency heat in order to heat my house. When the service tech arrived he found that the unit was low on freon. As he had no equipment on his truck he had to come back another day to find the leak. The leak was located in the a coil and another was ordered as the coil was still under warranty. I was told that American Standard had cut down on the quantity of copper used to manufacture the coil and this was a known problem since 3 years prior. I was sold a heat pump with know defects and was never notified of the problem. The a coils are now aluminum as a result of the problems. My service person just left me with a bill for $615 for installation charges. My advice to anyone who reads this in stay away from American Standard and Trane as they are both the same units. The only difference is the label on the equipment

Date created: 2013-12-31 Name: T & T
Location: NE Tenn

"Very Expensive Mistake"
Aparently we have been mis-led on the quality of American Standard. Only had it a few months so far and the service tech comes on a regular basis. Obviously we bought a piece of crap.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: R Spaulding
Location: Phoenix, Ariaona

"Piece of Junk Heat Pump"
In need of a heating and cooling unit. I called my service person and he came to my house and installed an American Standard 4-ton unit. From day one, the unit's compressor has a terrible rumble to it. Reason I know it is compressor is when compressor shuts down and condenser fan runs to equalize pressure. I don't know if the blower is running as the blower is so quiet. I was told that Trane is having serious problems with this particular unit with the compressor being noisy and having to replace the compressor. I think Ingersoll Rand/Trane/American Standard had better get their act together as their units are a piece of junk and I am stuck with it.

Date created: 2013-11-19 Name: Jim Patterson
Location: southampton, ma

"AccuLink Nightmare"
The AccuLink system and its factory backing is one of the biggest nightmares I have encountered in my 25 years of HVAC contracting business. We specialize in the high-end, complex type of control system and have used similar systems (Carrier Infinity) for over a decade and very successfully. A recent client wanted the AccuLink system from American Standard and it has been a disaster. Let me first say that the factory support (locally - the tech guys in Texas were great) at the local levels does not exist. No training, complete lack of experience, rep never returns calls. The installation itself was plagued with product failures. The AM8 air handlers required board upgrades, the heat pump board failed after a week, two zone damper motors failed within 1 month, and one of the platinum series thermostats failed after 4 months. On top of this, I returned for at least 6 software upgrades/reloads to repair some of the zoning problems. As a contractor, I've eaten close to $3800 in lost labor revenue and received zero assistance from the manufacturer and they are also unwilling to compensate the homeowner for their aggravation.

Date created: 2013-07-12 Name: S Storms
Location: tempe, AZ

"Don't Buy American Standard It's Not American"
8 years old and it's gone through 3 inside fan motors and one condenser fan motor at $1100 each. I could have bought a new unit for that.

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: T. Fortuna
Location: West Virginia

"Constantly Repaired"
My brother-in-law, I should stop here. He was an American Standard seller/installer so he recommended the Heritage 14 heat pump. I got to say, when it works, it works. We've owned it now for 7 years and have had constant repairs on it after the 2nd year. It usually happens in the cooling mode. I got a box of used capacitors, 2 delay relays, plus a replacement compressor that was under warranty that cost me another $800 for shipping/installation, dozens of burnt 30 amp fuses and one fan motor. This year we put a hard start kit on it and it worked for 1 hr 27 minutes before the fuses blew again. If your someone that stands behind this product, make sure you stand way back. Shop for something besides Trane and A.S.

Date created: 2013-05-21 Name: R Wilson
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas

"I Purchased this Complete 2 Ton Replacement System"
I purchased this complete 2 ton replacement system in January 2008. During the first year I had to replace the thermostat. In January 2012, I had to have the air handler repaired. Now about 5 months after the warranty has expired on the outside unit, the fan motor has gone out and damaged the compressor and this unit must be replaced. This system has been very unsatisfactory and I am replacing the entire system with another brand. I would not recommend this unit.