Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2013-12-31 Name: T & T
Location: NE Tenn

"Very Expensive Mistake"
Aparently we have been mis-led on the quality of American Standard. Only had it a few months so far and the service tech comes on a regular basis. Obviously we bought a piece of crap.

Date created: 2013-12-23 Name: Tom Frank
Location: Downingtown, PA

"Disappointed"
5 years ago, I did my research and picked out an American Standard Heritage 16 heat pump to replace the Trane system that came with the house. All of the reviews seemed great. After 5 years, I finally threw in the towel on my American Standard system. We have a two system house, 1 that serves the second floor (heat pump) and 1 that serves the first floor (air conditioner with gas furnace). After the first year the compressor really started sounding noisy, so I called the contractor back. He agreed, but couldn't find anything wrong with it but said if the problem persisted I should consider changing the compressor...it's "under warranty." After weeks of the system waking up my son in the middle of the night, I told him to change out the compressor. After they changed out the compressor I was handed a bill for $1700! I said, "I thought you said this was under warranty?" He said, "It is, this is for the labor." I am clearly in the wrong business. We agreed to a lesser amount after much debate. Even after the compressor change-out the unit had very annoying sounds when it ran. After five years and a few other service issues, I couldn't take it anymore and replaced it and my other system with new Luxaire systems which we have been very happy with. I decided to do more research on the contractor this time and not worry too much about the brand.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: R Spaulding
Location: Phoenix, Ariaona

"Piece of Junk Heat Pump"
In need of a heating and cooling unit. I called my service person and he came to my house and installed an American Standard 4-ton unit. From day one, the unit's compressor has a terrible rumble to it. Reason I know it is compressor is when compressor shuts down and condenser fan runs to equalize pressure. I don't know if the blower is running as the blower is so quiet. I was told that Trane is having serious problems with this particular unit with the compressor being noisy and having to replace the compressor. I think Ingersoll Rand/Trane/American Standard had better get their act together as their units are a piece of junk and I am stuck with it.

Date created: 2013-11-19 Name: Jim Patterson
Location: southampton, ma

"AccuLink Nightmare"
The AccuLink system and its factory backing is one of the biggest nightmares I have encountered in my 25 years of HVAC contracting business. We specialize in the high-end, complex type of control system and have used similar systems (Carrier Infinity) for over a decade and very successfully. A recent client wanted the AccuLink system from American Standard and it has been a disaster. Let me first say that the factory support (locally - the tech guys in Texas were great) at the local levels does not exist. No training, complete lack of experience, rep never returns calls. The installation itself was plagued with product failures. The AM8 air handlers required board upgrades, the heat pump board failed after a week, two zone damper motors failed within 1 month, and one of the platinum series thermostats failed after 4 months. On top of this, I returned for at least 6 software upgrades/reloads to repair some of the zoning problems. As a contractor, I've eaten close to $3800 in lost labor revenue and received zero assistance from the manufacturer and they are also unwilling to compensate the homeowner for their aggravation.

Date created: 2013-07-12 Name: S Storms
Location: tempe, AZ

"Don't Buy American Standard It's Not American"
8 years old and it's gone through 3 inside fan motors and one condenser fan motor at $1100 each. I could have bought a new unit for that.

Date created: 2013-05-30 Name: T. Fortuna
Location: West Virginia

"Constantly Repaired"
My brother-in-law, I should stop here. He was an American Standard seller/installer so he recommended the Heritage 14 heat pump. I got to say, when it works, it works. We've owned it now for 7 years and have had constant repairs on it after the 2nd year. It usually happens in the cooling mode. I got a box of used capacitors, 2 delay relays, plus a replacement compressor that was under warranty that cost me another $800 for shipping/installation, dozens of burnt 30 amp fuses and one fan motor. This year we put a hard start kit on it and it worked for 1 hr 27 minutes before the fuses blew again. If your someone that stands behind this product, make sure you stand way back. Shop for something besides Trane and A.S.

Date created: 2013-05-21 Name: R Wilson
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas

"I Purchased this Complete 2 Ton Replacement System"
I purchased this complete 2 ton replacement system in January 2008. During the first year I had to replace the thermostat. In January 2012, I had to have the air handler repaired. Now about 5 months after the warranty has expired on the outside unit, the fan motor has gone out and damaged the compressor and this unit must be replaced. This system has been very unsatisfactory and I am replacing the entire system with another brand. I would not recommend this unit.

Date created: 2013-03-06 Name: S. Murphy
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Heat pump 18 seer a/c & heater"
Purchased one in 2007. Another in 2011. The warranty dropped from 10 years to 1/5. My newest unit has a freon leak 2 years and some months after installation. Because the manufacturer is strict honoring warranty work with the installer (if ae disagrees that a replaced part was damaged they won't pay the installer), expect multiple expensive tests done by the installer before they will replace parts under warranty. Even after the tests, the installer may not know for sure what the problem is. I purchased the product even though it tends to be more expensive because I assumed the maker would stand behind the product. Not anymore! Save your money. Go with another brand. Don't walk. run!!

Date created: 2013-02-01 Name: Diana Edwards
Location: Climax, NC

"21 year old"
Today the American Standard heat pump with Trane compressor is being replaced after 21 years. Yes, you read that correctly, 21 years. I cannot complain really. I will take my chances again and again after that type of service from an excellent producer!

Date created: 2012-04-25 Name: C. RAHMAN
Location: princeton indiana

"DO NOT BUY AMERICAN STANDARD HEAT PUMP"
I bought a new american standard 18 seer heat pump in 2005 after 2 years the compressors locked up parts only covered cost $600 to fix. I thought it might be a fluke but now the compressors have gone out again $661.40 bill again not to mention the extra heating bill for when it was not working in the winter just running on emergency heat. do not waist your time trying to reach someone at american standard if you do get ahold of them they just say it's not their problem and hang up on you. P.O.s company P.O.S. product I am telling everyone I meet do not mess with american standard!