Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2015-06-10 Name: J. Wilson
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Beware!"
The condensing coils wore out after 13 months. Had to replace them and the company would pay for parts but labor was not covered - I'm out $1,000. The A/C company I have used for years said that it was defective manufacturing. They tried to convince American Standard to pay for labor but they would not. I have read some other reviews and others have had the same exact problem. I would not buy from this company.

Date created: 2015-03-31 Name: Sid von Rospeunt
Location: Banner Elk, NC

"The worst"
1 year ago my 25-year-old Lennox 60 amp heat pump caught on fire. My HVAC contractor replaced the 2 zone system with an American Standard. The unit is unable to heat the house to a comfortable level and after less than 1 year the outside unit gave up. Heating the home on "auxiliary heat" gives a nice electric bill! American Standard is the biggest crap I have ever seen and useless, as is the contractor who installed it. I guess he got the biggest rebate from that crap and I am suffering. Do not buy or have installed an American Standard heat pump, they are crap and they should stay with making johns!

Date created: 2015-01-24 Name: margaret
Location: United States

"Bad unit"
I wouldn't recommend an American Standard or a Trane heating/AC unit. I had everything inside and outside replaced on my old unit 2 1/2 years ago with all American Standard. The outside unit quit running last week and the labor alone will be about $1300. Plus, the motor sounds like it is going out also. Very disappointed! The guys at ac Logistics will not return my phone call. I am changing to a Goodman on Monday. I wasted a lot of money on the American Standard unit.

Date created: 2015-01-22 Name: Kapp
Location: Palm Coast, FL

"Warranty"
This company is terrible! I purchased an existing home with a newly installed (April 2014) American Standard heat pump and air handler. I failed to transfer the warranty within the 90-day transfer period and now I can't get any answers on the warranty status. 90 days is all you get to transfer a warranty when you're a new homeowner? Really? I was still unpacking at that point, not even thinking of this kind of paperwork! I've called 3 times with a response of "it's been escalated". No one can tell me when I'll get a response from American Standard; they'll call me when they call me. I've been told that I'm not a priority because I have heat. Wow! Customers aren't a priority now...terrible and rude customer service. Totally unacceptable service. I would never recommend this company to anyone! And the dealer where the equipment was purchased (Arctic Breeze) isn't willing to stand behind me and assist with this issue. They've tried it before; it's the consumer's issue with the manufacturer.

Date created: 2015-01-16 Name: Ron Cerra
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina

"Heat pump is a disaster"
We have had excellent service by All-In-One Service here in Wilmington, North Carolina. They have responded quickly and efficiently to every call. We had them replace our perfect 14-year-old units with two high- end Standard heat pumps five years ago. The smaller unit has worked fine; the bigger unit has required service well over 100 times over the past five years with most of its components being replaced at least once, including the compressor. Freon leaks are standard for American Standard, and the quality of this unit is obvious. We spent around $13,000 to replace a perfectly working, if older, system for what has become a service nightmare. Now we pay for a service contract and could not be more disgusted with a product. We are thinking of having the unit junked and replaced with a different brand. American Standard should be paying us for the inconvenience and we certainly should not be paying for a service contract. Buyer beware. I would never consider American Standard (just another name for Trane to maintain exclusive area franchises) and am looking for something considerably more reliable. Standard should be avoided and the lack of quality controls (including Trane) should be publicized. Our coil now needs to be replaced again, a major job. While not a financial burden, it is clearly one more American Standard inconvenience. I would not take one of these units again for free.

Date created: 2014-12-29 Name: Linda Mikulich
Location: Sugar Creek, MO

"Poor warranty service"
After 6 years and 3 months on my 10-year warranty, my heat pump has been serviced 15 times, with no real solution to an inherent problem. Anytime there is a jump in heat to cold, or cold to hot, the unit fails. I have had 2 control boards, 2 compressors, a fan motor, 3 igniters, 2 thermostats, two gas valves, and 2 pole contactors replaced. They could never fix the inherent problem and washed their hands now that the warranty came to an end. They are a very poor representation of a company.

Date created: 2014-11-21 Name: Bill Tench
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Beware"
New heat pump installed in March, 2014. There was a problem with the heating side. The installer has made 4 visits and replaced two different parts. It seemed to work. I live in San Antonio. The heat was not used until this November, and it didn't work. I have called American Standard customer relations 4 times over the past 2 weeks. They said a case manager from corporate would call me. You guessed it, no call from corporate. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and junk this unit, and replace it with a Rheem or Ruud. Just use space heaters and burn firewood. Thank goodness I don't live in Buffalo. UPDATE 12/3/1014 Since my last negative post about American Standard on November 21...today is December 3. I have called American Standard customer relations 6 times over past 5 weeks. Each agent is reading from the same play book. I'll bump this issue up to a corporate case manager who they say will call by tomorrow. You guessed it...no call from corporate over the past 5 weeks. Seems they are following Grisham's novel, the Rainmaker. Deny, deny, deny and hope the complaint goes away. In this case, ignore, ignore, ignore and hope the complaint goes away. I'm still burning firewood and using space heaters. I got quotes from 3 competitors (Rheem, Ruud, Carrier). I will junk the American Standard unit (a $5,000 hit) and spend another $5,000 to get heat from, hopefully, a company that cares.

Date created: 2014-10-18 Name: P. Duchesne
Location: Brossard, CA

"Overall a very good product"
I saw many bad reviews for American Standard and given that we owned a Heritage 12 for 11 years, I wanted to share my own experience. We bought the unit in 2003, and after 8 years, the compressor died. We had a 10 years warranty for the compressor, which has been changed with no problem with a good contractor. After two years, the compressor died again. But the maintenance cost was very low, and from my experience, you can not really expect a heat pump to work for a lot more that 10 years. We have a very good contractor, and now we just bought a brand new Accoaire 15 SEER. But I will miss my American Standard heat pump. It was pretty good; efficient, quiet, and overall I found it a good product.

Date created: 2014-03-19 Name: S. Hodges
Location: north carolina

"Homeowner"
Unit installed on January 9, 2014. I called the owner of the installing company on January 10. That unit would not turn off after set temp had been reached (fan ran constantly). Repairman came that day, and replaced the thermostat 2 days later. The unit is doing the same thing. Put in another thermostat. 1 week later unit freezing up. Owner of company that sold me unit called American Standard & told problems they told him to replace the "Deflector Board" & they did. Within a week unit freezing up again. (I was having to use emergency heat to stay warm). Called Standard tech again & was told to replace the "Coil Sensor", well within a week doing same things again. Have filed a detailed complaint with their product problem "Escalation Manager" On March 11th. She Promised she would get back to me with some answers the next day , well it is Now the 19th. & not heard a word from her.

Date created: 2014-02-13 Name: Kyle
Location: Kentucky

"Used to be good"
I have sold American Standard for the past 10 years and am a Customer Care Dealer. My company has all NATE certified employees and we put in the time for the best training that is offered. We installed around 150 American Standard systems every year and the last 2 years we have to go back and repair 60% of these systems. Customers have lost money and my company has lost money. The problem is, American Standard & Trane keeps changing the design of these systems every year if not twice a year due to design problems. The air handlers tam4, tam7 & tam8 have major design issues and the heater kits as well as the boards keep giving problems. When parts are needed many distributors have to order them from the factory in Tyler Texas and the down time is usually within a week or so. Customers should never have to wait this long. As the President and CEO of my company we have decided to sell Carrier as our top brand. Bottom line is, customers deserve better. And American Standard currently doesn't cut it.