Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Big Bear, CA

"American Standard Keeps Us Warm"
We have a house in Big Bear, California. We go up there nearly every weekend in the winter and sometimes for a week or 2 at a time. It's pretty darn cold in Big Bear in the California winters. We get lots of snow. Normally we live at the beach and are accustomed to the hot weather. When we get to Big Bear we are pretty cold, especially after spending the time outdoors playing in the snow with the kids. When we bought out place a few years ago, the heat pump was already installed and was less then 5 years old. We love it. It does its job very well and keeps us warm. We haven't had any problems with it so far and we have nothing bad to say about it. We don't need heat where we normally live but when we go to our cabin in the snow, we are confident we will be toasty and comfortable!

Date created: 2015-08-25 Name: S.Dixon
Location: Macon, Ga

"Unknown"
I have read a lot of negative reviews. Well, I am not sure of what model I have I only know it says American Standard on the unit outside. I thought my service man chose a cheap unit to put in my house but it's been almost 21 years and the only thing I have had done to my unit was put Freon in it last year. That was the first and only time I had ever had any trouble with it so I guess my air man did a very good job at choosing the unit best suited for my home.

Date created: 2015-06-15 Name: P.Wellington
Location: Dudley, NC

"Total POS"
Had this unit installed in July 2012. I've had the unit repaired six times thus far. Now the unit needs repair again, and more Freon. The first repair was under warranty. Others are not and will not cover the cost of Freon, which we lost due to a factory defect in the unit. This will be three times paying hundreds for Freon. I would not recommend this brand to anyone. Should have purchased a Tempstar. I had one for 15 years with few problems.

Date created: 2015-06-10 Name: J. Wilson
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Beware!"
The condensing coils wore out after 13 months. Had to replace them and the company would pay for parts but labor was not covered - I'm out $1,000. The A/C company I have used for years said that it was defective manufacturing. They tried to convince American Standard to pay for labor but they would not. I have read some other reviews and others have had the same exact problem. I would not buy from this company.

Date created: 2015-03-31 Name: Sid von Rospeunt
Location: Banner Elk, NC

"The worst"
1 year ago my 25-year-old Lennox 60 amp heat pump caught on fire. My HVAC contractor replaced the 2 zone system with an American Standard. The unit is unable to heat the house to a comfortable level and after less than 1 year the outside unit gave up. Heating the home on "auxiliary heat" gives a nice electric bill! American Standard is the biggest crap I have ever seen and useless, as is the contractor who installed it. I guess he got the biggest rebate from that crap and I am suffering. Do not buy or have installed an American Standard heat pump, they are crap and they should stay with making johns!

Date created: 2015-01-24 Name: margaret
Location: United States

"Bad unit"
I wouldn't recommend an American Standard or a Trane heating/AC unit. I had everything inside and outside replaced on my old unit 2 1/2 years ago with all American Standard. The outside unit quit running last week and the labor alone will be about $1300. Plus, the motor sounds like it is going out also. Very disappointed! The guys at ac Logistics will not return my phone call. I am changing to a Goodman on Monday. I wasted a lot of money on the American Standard unit.

Date created: 2015-01-22 Name: Kapp
Location: Palm Coast, FL

"Warranty"
This company is terrible! I purchased an existing home with a newly installed (April 2014) American Standard heat pump and air handler. I failed to transfer the warranty within the 90-day transfer period and now I can't get any answers on the warranty status. 90 days is all you get to transfer a warranty when you're a new homeowner? Really? I was still unpacking at that point, not even thinking of this kind of paperwork! I've called 3 times with a response of "it's been escalated". No one can tell me when I'll get a response from American Standard; they'll call me when they call me. I've been told that I'm not a priority because I have heat. Wow! Customers aren't a priority now...terrible and rude customer service. Totally unacceptable service. I would never recommend this company to anyone! And the dealer where the equipment was purchased (Arctic Breeze) isn't willing to stand behind me and assist with this issue. They've tried it before; it's the consumer's issue with the manufacturer.

Date created: 2015-01-16 Name: Ron Cerra
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina

"Heat pump is a disaster"
We have had excellent service by All-In-One Service here in Wilmington, North Carolina. They have responded quickly and efficiently to every call. We had them replace our perfect 14-year-old units with two high-end Standard heat pumps five years ago. The smaller unit has worked fine; the bigger unit has required service well over 100 times over the past five years with most of its components being replaced at least once, including the compressor. Freon leaks are standard for American Standard, and the quality of this unit is obvious. We spent around $13,000 to replace a perfectly working, if older, system for what has become a service nightmare. Now we pay for a service contract and could not be more disgusted with a product. We are thinking of having the unit junked and replaced with a different brand. American Standard should be paying us for the inconvenience and we certainly should not be paying for a service contract. Buyer beware. I would never consider American Standard (just another name for Trane to maintain exclusive area franchises) and am looking for something considerably more reliable. Standard should be avoided and the lack of quality controls (including Trane) should be publicized. Our coil now needs to be replaced again, a major job. While not a financial burden, it is clearly one more American Standard inconvenience. I would not take one of these units again for free.

Date created: 2014-12-29 Name: Linda Mikulich
Location: Sugar Creek, MO

"Poor warranty service"
After 6 years and 3 months on my 10-year warranty, my heat pump has been serviced 15 times, with no real solution to an inherent problem. Anytime there is a jump in heat to cold, or cold to hot, the unit fails. I have had 2 control boards, 2 compressors, a fan motor, 3 igniters, 2 thermostats, two gas valves, and 2 pole contactors replaced. They could never fix the inherent problem and washed their hands now that the warranty came to an end. They are a very poor representation of a company.

Date created: 2014-11-21 Name: Bill Tench
Location: San Antonio, TX

"Beware"
New heat pump installed in March, 2014. There was a problem with the heating side. The installer has made 4 visits and replaced two different parts. It seemed to work. I live in San Antonio. The heat was not used until this November, and it didn't work. I have called American Standard customer relations 4 times over the past 2 weeks. They said a case manager from corporate would call me. You guessed it, no call from corporate. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and junk this unit, and replace it with a Rheem or Ruud. Just use space heaters and burn firewood. Thank goodness I don't live in Buffalo. UPDATE 12/3/1014 Since my last negative post about American Standard on November 21...today is December 3. I have called American Standard customer relations 6 times over past 5 weeks. Each agent is reading from the same play book. I'll bump this issue up to a corporate case manager who they say will call by tomorrow. You guessed it...no call from corporate over the past 5 weeks. Seems they are following Grisham's novel, the Rainmaker. Deny, deny, deny and hope the complaint goes away. In this case, ignore, ignore, ignore and hope the complaint goes away. I'm still burning firewood and using space heaters. I got quotes from 3 competitors (Rheem, Ruud, Carrier). I will junk the American Standard unit (a $5,000 hit) and spend another $5,000 to get heat from, hopefully, a company that cares.