Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2016-04-07 Name: Richard R.
Location: Rocky Mount, NC

"Dirty Sock Syndrome with this unit"
Starting in the summer of 2015 our house started having a very pungent and unpleasant odor. We could not identify the source for some time - stumbled upon the Dirty Sock Syndrome conversations on the internet and called our installer. They knew about the stink issue and came out and cleaned our coils. Problem went away for about a month and came back. Re-cleaned, same issue within a few weeks, installed some type of 'plasma' electronic device inside the unit for $310.00 and now the stench has come back with a vengeance. I hate this thing - we couldn't give our house away with this stink. I'm calling the installer again and am sure we will be told to install something else - UV lighting perhaps - at our expense. This unit lives in North Carolina where it has to heat and cool - we paid a lot and have ongoing stink with it. We change the filters in the returns every month and have a contract with the company for maintenance (cleaning really). I don't know what we will do going forward but we can't live with this.

Date created: 2016-01-24 Name: R. Anderson, Sr.
Location: Boiling Spring, SC

"A piece of junk"
I purchased this junk on 12-30-14 and since that time it has broken 3 times, the same problem. It will run 10-15 seconds on the outside and then cut off. The unit under the house runs all the time. Each time I call someone to repair it, it is a cost of 600-800 dollars. At this rate I will be bankrupt soon. I have to replace it or go broke. But never will I purchase an American Standard name again.

Date created: 2016-01-22 Name: S. Martin
Location: Castalian Springs, TN

"Less than 3 years old, junk"
We moved in to our new totally electric home in May 2012. We have an American Standard heat pump that is nothing but junk. Just since September 2015, they've replaced the compressor (twice), main control board (twice), blower motor control, capacitor, 2 hard start capacitors, air sensor, fan, and defrost sensor. We're in a state of emergency right now because of a winter storm. Had to cut the heat off at 4 A.M. due to constant short cycling and nothing but cold air, the house temperature had already dropped to 60. Thank God we have a fireplace & electric blanket.

Date created: 2016-01-13 Name: Eric
Location: Vinton, VA

"System reliability"
I have been in the commercial and residential HVAC field for 30 years. A majority of failures are due to installation practices by the technicians, especially refrigerant leaks and air flow issues. However, there are failures due to "cheap" equipment, and the American Standard line has proven to be a quality-built piece of equipment. I have installed American Standard equipment for eight years, and have not had a major failure or repair, such as leaks, compressors, coils, or motors. You truly get what you pay for...do your research on contractors, or work off referrals from friends.

Date created: 2015-12-04 Location: Charlotte, NC

"Perfect heat pump for a large home"
My family and I recently moved to a new cabin in the mountains in North Carolina, and we decided to replace the heat pump unit in the house. We decided to buy the American Standard AccuComfort unit and it has been great for us. We have had it installed in the house for a couple of months now and it has been working perfectly. It is very quiet which is great because we cannot hear it when it is working. It is very efficient on energy as we have noticed a subtle drop in bills ever since we bought this unit. I wish the installation would have been a little easier but it is a great heat pump. I highly recommend this brand and model as it has been working perfectly for us and hasn't given us any issues at all. American Standard is a great brand for heat pumps for sure!

Date created: 2015-10-30 Location: Naples, FL

"Reliable and Quiet Heat Pump"
I have owned this heat pump for about three months and am generally happy with it. I love how affordable it was compared to others in the market and also appreciate how quiet it is. I know that it works well for cooling, but as for heating I can't really say because I live in Florida and rarely use my heating system, if ever, but I expect it would be effective in this respect as well. I don't foresee any repairs or replacements in the near future and would definitely recommend this brand and model to a friend who wanted a reliable heat pump but didn't want to spend a ton of money.

Date created: 2015-09-24 Location: Big Bear, CA

"American Standard Keeps Us Warm"
We have a house in Big Bear, California. We go up there nearly every weekend in the winter and sometimes for a week or 2 at a time. It's pretty darn cold in Big Bear in the California winters. We get lots of snow. Normally we live at the beach and are accustomed to the hot weather. When we get to Big Bear we are pretty cold, especially after spending the time outdoors playing in the snow with the kids. When we bought out place a few years ago, the heat pump was already installed and was less then 5 years old. We love it. It does its job very well and keeps us warm. We haven't had any problems with it so far and we have nothing bad to say about it. We don't need heat where we normally live but when we go to our cabin in the snow, we are confident we will be toasty and comfortable!

Date created: 2015-08-25 Name: S.Dixon
Location: Macon, Ga

"Unknown"
I have read a lot of negative reviews. Well, I am not sure of what model I have I only know it says American Standard on the unit outside. I thought my service man chose a cheap unit to put in my house but it's been almost 21 years and the only thing I have had done to my unit was put Freon in it last year. That was the first and only time I had ever had any trouble with it so I guess my air man did a very good job at choosing the unit best suited for my home.

Date created: 2015-06-15 Name: P.Wellington
Location: Dudley, NC

"Total POS"
Had this unit installed in July 2012. I've had the unit repaired six times thus far. Now the unit needs repair again, and more Freon. The first repair was under warranty. Others are not and will not cover the cost of Freon, which we lost due to a factory defect in the unit. This will be three times paying hundreds for Freon. I would not recommend this brand to anyone. Should have purchased a Tempstar. I had one for 15 years with few problems.

Date created: 2015-06-10 Name: J. Wilson
Location: Tucson, AZ

"Beware!"
The condensing coils wore out after 13 months. Had to replace them and the company would pay for parts but labor was not covered - I'm out $1,000. The A/C company I have used for years said that it was defective manufacturing. They tried to convince American Standard to pay for labor but they would not. I have read some other reviews and others have had the same exact problem. I would not buy from this company.