Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2017-02-09 Name: Ed Klebacha
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

"Longer term reliability"
This is an a-s Heritage 12, built in 9-05. installed in 2006. It is a 5 ton unit, 12 seer, using freon, not r410a. Starting in Year 7, It has 4 major breakdowns: evap coil, var speed motor, cir. Board and outside fan motor, and now compressor. The freon was recharged 6 months ago. The original owner had an extended warranty so all these repairs, except the last, were done free. The dealer wouldn't extend the warranty for me. Parts do wear out, but this is ridiculous.

Date created: 2017-02-04 Name: Steve Sershen
Location: South Dakota

"Poor quality"
Bought this 5 years and 60 days ago. It took 2 units to get one to work when it was installed. Now 60 days out of warranty the main board went out. Better to go with a Trane.
Date created: 2016-12-30 Name: C. Cantell

"Heat Pump Stinks Like Dirty Sneakers"
We put this model in five years ago. About two and a half years ago as winter started, we turned on "heat" and within ten minutes, the house was filled with the smell of dirty sneakers. Called the hvac company that installed it, they came out and cleaned it, and within a couple of weeks it stunk again. The hvac company said American Standard knew about the problem, but wouldn't replace the system. Apparently, according to American Standard, this is only a problem with a few heat pumps. After three visits to "clean" the system, the hvac company advised us to put the system on "emergency heat" as it wouldn't smell. Guess what! It still smells. I highly recommend no one purchase a product by American Standard.
Date created: 2016-11-28 Name: bill P.
Location: Shawnee, OK

"Had American Standard for 11 years"
We've had our American Standard for 11 years. Hasn't been any trouble until recently. Used it much in the summer in Oklahoma since the wife has to sleep at around 66 degrees. It has done a pretty good job at cooling to a low temperature. The A-coils in the blower have rusted out and won't hold Freon. Although it has had trouble only recently, I'm going to try a different brand since I would hope to get more than 11 years out of my heat pump.
Date created: 2016-10-25 Name: don supan
Location: Arlington, WA

"2 years old, reversing valve bad."
Yes the part is under warranty but costs 800 to 1000 dollars to change. I know that field repair can't duplicate factory. What if on soldering, debris gets to the compressor. The factory should have a better guarantee than one year. The dealer has gone out of his way but has his hands tied by the factory. I'm hoping nothing goes bad after this repair. Had a Trane heat pump for 10 years and only had a contactor relay go bad. That's why I went with American Standard for replacement after its reversing valve went. Update: 2016-11-08: After installing rev. Valve on restart I'm told the compressor needs replaced. Now this unit is only 2 years old american standard needs 3 things to go bad before they replace the heat pump. What the hell else can go bad . spent over 6000.00 and have to spend 2000.00 more for repairs. Doesn't make any sense. Wife wants to talk with lawyer for his advise.
Date created: 2016-09-20 Name: Gerald (Gerry)T Wall
Location: Ringgold, GA

"Manufacturing plant did not solder properly and QA did not review or catch the mistake."
After 2 years of what appeared to be a happy experience, the outside air handler stopped working! Analysis of the air handler showed that via discoloration on the copper tubing going to the transformer connection there was Freon leakage and the unit shut down. The cause was the plant when manufactured had retrofitted the 3/4 inch copper tubing line into a larger connection fitting and had reamed out the connecting tubing inside, making it much thinner so flanging could be used to retrofit the connection. The connection was soldered with a thin coating. After some time of usage and pressure, a split at the connection in the copper tubing caused full loss of Freon and also caused the pressure relief valve in the inside unit to seize up. Result was major repair cost in labor. Materials and parts were under a 10-year warranty. I feel that the American Standard Organization (now under Trane parent company) should refund all labor cost to me and provide and install a new unit because who is to say that other items were overlooked and will continue to fail... Did I get a 'Lemon'? I think so. The Installation was done professionally and was a great piece of careful installation. This was a screw up at the manufacturing plant and QA details which is not acceptable, especially for the amount of money that you have to pay for what is advertised as a superior product. Thus I am not a happy camper!
Date created: 2016-08-29 Name: Rebecca
Location: Iowa

"American Standard sucks"
You know, when you spend thousands of dollars to put a piece of equipment in that is supposed to help your heating and cooling costs for years to come, you expect the equipment to be around for those years to come. Not American Standard equipment! We put a heat pump in, mind you a two stage top of the line. Put all new service into the house to be able to even install and use it. And we are now on our way to our sixth set of compressors in eight years. Yeah, you read that right. In the eight years we have had this, we have not had one summer without losing our air conditioning for several days, or losing our heat in the winter and having to skip the Energy Efficiency of the unit and have to go strictly to using the electric furnace. In months like October, November, March, and even April. And this is all with a ten year warranty. So all this should be covered. Hahaha! Good luck finding someone to work on it. You see, the company who put it in, went out of business, the company that made the equipment refuses to call you back, and all the other local repair men refuse to touch it because they know they won't get paid from the company who manufactured the equipment. They just refuse to pay on the warranty. And this piece of crap is so famous for being junk, that yet again we sit with no air conditioning, and no one willing to fix it. We have a parts and labor warranty. Everything should be covered. But none of it is. Because American Standard and Trane are worthless companies that like to take people for $8000 at a time, and not call back. Not fix their equipment, and leave people like me to write nasty messages like this. Why? Because we have tried every other avenue to get satisfaction. For eight years now. That's right. We have had trouble with this junk since the second month it was installed. I think its about time that American Standard steps up and deals with this situation like a man. Grow some balls American Standard and deal with the mess you made.
Date created: 2016-04-07 Name: Richard R.
Location: Rocky Mount, NC

"Dirty Sock Syndrome with this unit"
Starting in the summer of 2015 our house started having a very pungent and unpleasant odor. We could not identify the source for some time - stumbled upon the Dirty Sock Syndrome conversations on the internet and called our installer. They knew about the stink issue and came out and cleaned our coils. Problem went away for about a month and came back. Re-cleaned, same issue within a few weeks, installed some type of 'plasma' electronic device inside the unit for $310.00 and now the stench has come back with a vengeance. I hate this thing - we couldn't give our house away with this stink. I'm calling the installer again and am sure we will be told to install something else - UV lighting perhaps - at our expense. This unit lives in North Carolina where it has to heat and cool - we paid a lot and have ongoing stink with it. We change the filters in the returns every month and have a contract with the company for maintenance (cleaning really). I don't know what we will do going forward but we can't live with this.
Date created: 2016-01-24 Name: R. Anderson, Sr.
Location: Boiling Spring, SC

"A piece of junk"
I purchased this junk on 12-30-14 and since that time it has broken 3 times, the same problem. It will run 10-15 seconds on the outside and then cut off. The unit under the house runs all the time. Each time I call someone to repair it, it is a cost of 600-800 dollars. At this rate I will be bankrupt soon. I have to replace it or go broke. But never will I purchase an American Standard name again.
Date created: 2016-01-22 Name: S. Martin
Location: Castalian Springs, TN

"Less than 3 years old, junk"
We moved in to our new totally electric home in May 2012. We have an American Standard heat pump that is nothing but junk. Just since September 2015, they've replaced the compressor (twice), main control board (twice), blower motor control, capacitor, 2 hard start capacitors, air sensor, fan, and defrost sensor. We're in a state of emergency right now because of a winter storm. Had to cut the heat off at 4 A.M. due to constant short cycling and nothing but cold air, the house temperature had already dropped to 60. Thank God we have a fireplace & electric blanket.