Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2010-01-13 Name: Annette

"Home Owner"
We have a 3 ton and a 4 ton unit for our home on separate sides of the house. After 19 years in our home, we have now installed 2 inside air handler systems on each side and 4 condenser/compressor units each on the outside. The newest units for both sides of the house were purchased within the last 6 months and are American Standard. I was without any heat over New Year's and had this resolved last week. However, I am also like another reviewer wrote, very unhappy about the heat strips coming on at 40 degrees. My other brands did not do this since we live in a farming community - it gets about 15 degrees colder than in the city. My unit seems to constantly be on auxiliary heat even if it is not 40 degrees. Had I known this fact, I would never have purchased this brand and if the matter does not clear up, I also will seek a lawyer, get my money back and go with another brand. So far we have had RUUD, Carrier and Goodman and now American Standard. I don't think any of them are worth the money you pay for them.

Date created: 2010-01-09 Name: L. Schoch

"Why is it so loud? Loud is an understatement"
I have had heat pumps most of my life and never heard one with this much noise. I live in a condo community, and I just had it installed yesterday. If I had know this before purchase, I would have bought another brand. As far as the heating and cooling, I am satisfied.

Date created: 2010-01-07 Name: Patrick Gilliam

"American standard is worth it"
Me and my wife bought 2 American standard heat pumps and we are very satisfied with them.

Date created: 2010-01-04 Name: Todd Meise

"Heritage 13 Heat Pump"
Runs very quietly and efficiently. Good warranty. We have had no problems to date. The heat pump is part of a hybrid system that includes a gas furnace for auxilliary heat and variable speed blower.

Date created: 2009-12-31 Name: Frances Foster

"The absolute worst!!"
This unit was the third heat pump installed in the now 30 year old house I have owned since it was built. This American Standard heat pump has been nothing but trouble, since about 6 months after it was installed. I'm not sure if I got a "lemon", but I am not happy and my contractor has never seemed willing to talk with me about this "junk" and I am going to replace this unit with something else. Buyer beware!

Date created: 2009-12-30 Name: Debra Guerrieri
Location: Arizona

"Stay clear of American Standard"
These units do not heat well and I live in Arizona. Compressor went out in 14 months. Every year something is wrong with it. I must turn my breaker on and off every couple of days to keep it heating. My installer can't figure out the problem and support at American Standard is worthless! I also know 2 other people with similar issues and had a different installer. Stay far far away from their products!

Date created: 2009-12-29 Name: M Wheeler

Thank God for the 10 year warranty. The heating/AC company has been good about trying to fix this piece of junk but that is little condolence. The control boards have been replaced on the inside and outside units several times. The contact points have been replaced. The outside condenser unit has been replaced as has the thermostat. The outside condenser has frozen up 7-8 times. The reversing valves are noisy causing a howling sound when it goes into defrost. The guys with the heating company say they have less problems with American Standard but I don't see how. My unit has been nothing but problems.

Date created: 2009-11-02 Name: Judy FRazier

"American Standard heat pum[p"
Words can't express the frustration that I have had with this unit. It was a top of the line unit installed by a Bardstown Ky heating and air Co. - It has been nothing but trouble from day 1-- The heat stips were missing,and the ones there were not working , the drip pan for the aircondtioning was missing. It seems that American Standard technicians took months to discover a drip pan was missing. The Air handler didn't match size with the heat pump unit. It is a good thing for the 10 yr parts and labor b/c there was an issue every year . Brown Heating and Air in Bardstown never solved the issues with this unit. In 2009 after yet another call from BRown's, the heat strips come on when the temp is 40 degrees(this is not just the defrost cycle) and the unit runs non stop for 45-60 minutes before shutting off. Since the warranty is up in a month , I called another dealer to check out the problem and the compressor is dead and I found out the airhandler doesn't match the size of the unit and the wiring for the heat strips is in a mess and the compressor is getting ready to die. Evidently American Standard doesn't require their technicians to be factory trained So all I can say is a top of the line American Standard high efficiency heat pump is about to die as the 10 yr warranty expires in dec. 2009 Very unhappy frustrated home owner whoh has been taken to the cleaners . We paid $6500 in 2009 for this heat pump and 10 yrs later there are bids for Tranes, Lennox for only $2000 more

Date created: 2009-07-09 Name: K. Peters

"American Standard Htg and A/C 15 Seer Heat pump system... We love It !!"
I have a 1 yr old American Standard Heat pump system installed with and 95% eff furnace variable speed blower with a 15 seer heatpump and a American Standard comfort control. My home had cold spots and was up and down in temperature,humid, and high energy bills..... Now with the new American standard 15 seer sytem my home mantains a very comfortable temp and has solved all the cold spots and my bills have dropped by over 60%.....I love it and my Wife loves it........ I would recommend you see what American standard has to offer.The American Standard Dealer we used for the installation was professional , knowledgeable, and cleaned everything up...Again my wife was happy.....

Date created: 2009-04-20 Name: AMERICAN STANDARD, INC.

"The warranty don't cover anything like I was told"
Purchased new inside and outside unit they suck and it is now broke after 5 years & the warranty don't cover anything like I was told.