Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2019-06-05 Name: D. Gros
Location: Thibodaux, LA

"Not an American Standard satisfied customer anymore"
I have owned an American Standard ac unit for 13 yrs without any problems. Finally talked my 80 yr old mom into buying one. 3 days after unit was installed the coils were leaking. The dealer replaced the coils and the unit worked fine. The unit just made 3 yrs and ac is blowing hot air again. Service came out and recharged the unit with 5 lbs of Freon which cost her $75. Checked unit a few days later and coils are leaking again. They stated coil is under warranty but labor is $600. I called American Standard and the rep stated there is only a 1 yr warranty on labor. I let her know that the coil is a replacement for another faulty coil when the unit was 3 days old--seems these parts are junk. She stated that they will not cover labor no matter what happened in the past with the coils. I had several people I turned on to this brand--but-- I will never own another one or speak the words, American Standard, again. Even the service tech stated that the coils they're using are substandard to the ones American Standard used yrs ago. Hope this helps someone before they have similar experiences.

Date created: 2019-04-10 Name: B Wilson
Location: Bossier City, LA

"Evaporator coils leaking at 3 yrs!!"
I replaced evaporator coil in 410 a heat pump less than 3 years after buying and installing it. After going two winters and one summer I checked refrigerant and subcooling are low. I will clean condenser and check it again. But I hope it's not leaking again. But I have a feeling it probably is a leak. I know how bad these HVAC companies are making these coils with thinner copper to save the bottom line. I am damn tired of replacing evaporator coils. If this one leaks, I will demand the next one sent to me is pressure tested 48 hrs before sending it. And may ask for my $800 or $1000 back I spent in labor to replace them.
Date created: 2019-03-07 Name: A Melt
Location: Middle, TN

"Am Std Management will not back product"
Understand this review - the product is good. The company behind the product is not. The installer touted the 10 yr parts and labor warranty. Told me they had it all taken care of. Turned out they never registered the units. Am Std would not honor the parts and labor warranty b/c never registered. They will not reprimand the dealer for lying and will not extend my warranty. In summary, they will not do the right thing. The end result is a black eye for Am Std and likelihood that I will never install their product for fear they will not do the right thing when faced with the option to do so
Date created: 2019-02-20 Name: R. Hall
Location: Summerville, SC

"Bad A coil after less than 3 yrs"
Purchased a new unit in May of 2016. After less than 3 yrs the heat quit working. The technician diagnosed it quickly as a hole in the coil. This is a Tam 7 air handler which is supposed to be top of the line. 800 dollars later it's fixed. Who's to say it won't fail again after another 3 yrs. After reading some of the reviews on here I wish I had seen them 3 yrs ago. We should all get together and file a Class action lawsuit against American Standard and Trane. Would I recommend this product no definitely not.
Date created: 2018-11-08 Name: RC
Location: Lexington, KY

"Geothermal heat pump Review"
I have owned my geothermal heat pump for about 2 years now. I got this because I was looking for a way to permanently reduce my energy consumption and lower my bills. This product allows me to do those 2 things. I was really worried that I was making a mistake at first because this heat pump cost a lot to purchase and have installed, but I just kept telling myself to think of all the money I'd save in the long run and pushed through with it. I have no regrets or complaints, I love this heat pump. I have not had to repair or replace it yet, it works the same as it does the day it was installed. I have recommended this to my family and friends over the last 2 years whenever the mention of heating comes up in conversation.
Date created: 2018-11-08 Name: J. Neill
Location: Covignton, LA

"American Standard heat pump"
Be careful with Trane or American Standard air conditions. Had a blower motor go out on my unit after 2 years. They said they couldn't find where I had registered the air handler or condenser, so instead of covering it for 10 years, they only warrantied it for 1 year. The next year, they changed it to 3 years. They said my model didn't fall under that warranty. Get something else. They won't stand behind their products. They must have known the motor had a poor design. Beware! Year for a blower motor, that's un-American, stand behind your products, even if its a bad design. I will not buy a Trane or American Standard again.
Date created: 2018-10-23 Name: Chris Stasny
Location: Oxford, MS

"Please shoot me"
Iíve had 8 service calls in 3 years. I bought a $6,500 unit to cool a 900 square foot master suite. This winter, Iím using a space heater. It is worse than junk. It does not work.
Date created: 2018-07-06 Name: Robert Brantley
Location: Blairsville, GA

"Happy, Happy"
I've had the best luck with my American Standard AC and heat-pump. The only problem I have, is it's old. It was installed October 29, 2003. I'm hoping to replace it in the next six months, or so.
Date created: 2018-05-16 Name: Lloyd piercy
Location: Hermiston, OR

"Worst company in the world...North Korea would be better at this"
I bought a 7.5 ton unit for a winery ball room..it is now 4 years old and has never worked even though it is off most of the year. Americana standard has not backed it in any way ..one component is on its fourth replacement..the compressor has failed twice I believe. .3 control boards..the remote thermostat hasn't worked so we hard wired one this week Cal me at 5415614642..so I can personally share my loathing for American standard
Date created: 2018-03-21 Name: S Randolph
Location: Tennessee

"Heat Exchanger"
Had a American Standard 2t 14 Seer Dual Fuel Unit (2 Stage Gas/Variable Speed) model 4dcy402a1064ba installed in May of 2015. The first winter was extremely mild and very little gas heat was used. However the winter of 2017/2018 was a different story. It was below freezing for weeks. In mid-January we notice a horrible smell when the gas heat kicked on. The smell was so bad it would wake you up at night. The HVAC people said you probably have dirty sock and you need to have your coils cleaned. The coils were clean and the smell still existed. After two different service men and two service calls the turbulators in the heat exchanger were replaced. American Standard/Trane refused to replace the heat exchanger. Replace trubulators as a fix. We have had no more carbon dioxide readings after replacement of turbulators. This repair took a month. Had to wait on the replacement part. However we are concerened that there will be furture repairs to heat exchanger with labor being on us as there is no way to prove this was a manufacturing defect. Really big scare was the carbon dioxide leakage. So be sure if you have gas you have properly installed carbon dioxide detectors with digital history,