Consumer Reviews of American Standard heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about American Standard heat pumps

Date created: 2018-01-25 Name: John
Location: Austin, TX

"Leaking Coil cost me $1180"
Was told American Standard was the best. Thought it was until last week when the condensing unit began short starting. Installer came out and took a look, stated it was a leaking coil, and said his labor was not covered (which I knew was industry standard). Cost me and my wife $1,180, and the piece of junk is not even a year old...not happy.

Date created: 2018-01-07 Name: Paul
Location: Palatka, FL

At first was happy with this unit I live in palatka fl. Summers are hot unit cools well for use in a large moble home but the heat pump unit side is a whole other story ac runs off of only 20 amp breaker wow but emergency heat is 65 amps problem starts when temp drops below 40 degs. Coils freeze up and condenser fan stops compressor goes under terribly bad strain then heat strips kick in waite its worse unit starts its defrost mode uep you guessed it switches to ac mode to put heat to outside coils and blows cold air inside and they call this normal for a heater at first I said ok maybe this wont be so bad again I was wrong now its triping the 65 amp breaker every night I know the person that owns the company that I purchased it from they did a great job asked why the one service guy that is also a close friend said hes not supposed to tell me the real reson what the problem is but he did and if I give his name he would probably will be fired because the corporate guys would not give the owners the rigjts to sell there units and backing and kick backs they get the problem is the unit was desigened to be run in states with relatively low humidities and as we all know thats not Florida but the wont tell you that up front so buyer be ware all the will do is charhe you for servive call and say corporate says its fine within specs but there is a problem with the mother board and rhey know this but the cost ro do a recall would be verry high and hurt there sales more than a few thouaand of us writing a complaint so now we know its up to us the end user to make better decisions and do our homework is saving a few $ worthe the troubke not really because we either keep servicing the junk or purchase a unit with better standards no punn intended as with omt revuie I read maybe they should have just stuck with jons and left ac work for the pros so there you have it do your home work check the weather in your state and may you have better luck than the rest uf that got it broke off in us

Date created: 2017-12-30 Name: C Mohr
Location: Missouri

"Don't buy!"
We bought the "top of the line" model heat pump 4 years ago. Disaster! Worked for 2 years before problems started. Have replaced ac condensers twice and now having nothing but trouble with heating unit! American Standard does not stand behind their product. Have requested replacement but no response. Never again!!!

Date created: 2017-11-28 Name: CDONALD
Location: Tempe, AZ

"Don't buy!"
I purchased an American Standard Heat Pump manufactured by Trane in April 2015. I have the unit serviced twice a year, once in April and again in November. I've used the same company since purchasing my home in 1999 and this is the second heat pump manufactured by Trane that I've had installed. The first one lasted for 15 years and I only replaced that unit with this one because of its age. Since having this "new and improved" unit installed I've had nothing but problems. Techs have been at my home, taking apart and replacing internal parts, for hours, twice a year. The last two gentlemen were here for 10 hours. They have replaced switching valves, tsr sensors, etc, every time they are here because the unit will not switch from cooling to heating. Last April I called to have the unit replaced under warranty (I bought the 10-year extended one) and was told that American Standard would absolutely not agree to replacement. So, now that I again have no heat, and haven't had any for the last week, I was told today that once again I can expect techs to come out and cobble something together so I can have heat this winter. If the unit still won't work, then I apparently will be blessed with an American Standard tech to come out at some point in the future and look into the matter. I have always bought Trane products because they used to manufacture good equipment and stand by their warranties. However, I will never purchase another product made by Trane again. Oh, I should add that I paid over $8,000.00 for this unit in 2015. Welcome to my world this winter.

Date created: 2017-05-23 Name: Alexander
Location: Phoenix, AZ

"Know your warranties."
I am an A/C tech. I agree with the review that this brand has received Junk. One thing I notice however, is that consumers don't really seem to understand their warranties. They are told upon delivery " so many years parts- so many years labor " but don't seem to remember this when a repair is needed. I would caution every homeowner to understand that the days of units lasting 12-15-20-30 years, is over. Unfortunately - Trump is right in one respect. China. All manufactures produce much less robust products these days (Aluminum coils instead of Steal and copper) Chinese parts (yes all manufactures use nearly all Chinese made parts) and wrap that with the 70% higher pressures that R410a has then the old R22, disaster. There is no best unit, only best warranty! And that is what you need to look at when purchasing a new unit. Name brand means little to nothing.

Date created: 2017-03-24 Name: BEN WALDROP
Location: Mount Juliet, TN

"Waiting for repair."
Unit is 14 months young, first repair, tubing, rubbing together. Update: March 25, 2017 Okay folks, right, wrong or other wise here goes my rant... we purchased a new unit in September 2015. Here it is last March 2017, the repair bill was 702.00, the point is...the tech States. The problem was from the factory letting tubing touch together, allowing to rub together, in turn caused a hole, then the a/c side wouldn't work, lost freon, tech states this is par-for course, it may or may not cause a problem, 12,00.00 for the unit, then a 702. for repair bill, over a night ooooh yeah we didn't purchase the extended warranty, I mean we were sold this top of line unit. Would you except to have a problem with the tech and mfg.. are in this together folks? am standard, done lesson H./A.

Date created: 2017-02-13 Name: L. Sampson
Location: Lumberton, NC

"Worthless for constant temperature"
Have owned 3 heating systems over 38 years and this is the only one that will not keep you warm. I highly recommend that anyone wishing to purchase a heating unit refrain from buying American Standard. It is now 4 years old and we have not experienced a pleasant winter yet. American Standard can not tell technician what to do and will not come out. You are on your own when you purchase American Standard heating Unit. But to be fair, we can not complain any about the air conditioner. Too bad the company does not have a heating unit as good as the air conditioner.

Date created: 2017-02-09 Name: Ed Klebacha
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

"Longer term reliability"
This is an a-s Heritage 12, built in 9-05. installed in 2006. It is a 5 ton unit, 12 seer, using freon, not r410a. Starting in Year 7, It has 4 major breakdowns: evap coil, var speed motor, cir. Board and outside fan motor, and now compressor. The freon was recharged 6 months ago. The original owner had an extended warranty so all these repairs, except the last, were done free. The dealer wouldn't extend the warranty for me. Parts do wear out, but this is ridiculous.

Date created: 2017-02-04 Name: Steve Sershen
Location: South Dakota

"Poor quality"
Bought this 5 years and 60 days ago. It took 2 units to get one to work when it was installed. Now 60 days out of warranty the main board went out. Better to go with a Trane.

Date created: 2016-12-30 Name: C. Cantell

"Heat Pump Stinks Like Dirty Sneakers"
We put this model in five years ago. About two and a half years ago as winter started, we turned on "heat" and within ten minutes, the house was filled with the smell of dirty sneakers. Called the hvac company that installed it, they came out and cleaned it, and within a couple of weeks it stunk again. The hvac company said American Standard knew about the problem, but wouldn't replace the system. Apparently, according to American Standard, this is only a problem with a few heat pumps. After three visits to "clean" the system, the hvac company advised us to put the system on "emergency heat" as it wouldn't smell. Guess what! It still smells. I highly recommend no one purchase a product by American Standard.