Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2010-05-28 Name: E. Tunby

"Amana Heat Pump"
Although this Amana Heat Pump has been reliable, it is very noisy. It is outside our bedroom and although it is about 8 feet away from the window the noise carries right into the bedroom. It is especially objectionable during the winter in the heat mode. I have had to wear ear plugs at night simply because of the noise from this unit. I have finally had enough and am going to replace it. Be sure and ask about noise levels before you buy.

Date created: 2010-05-26 Name: David

"Great product"
Unit has performed great! It was installed by a highly trained team of installers. My utility bills have gone way down. The warranties are the best in the business. Would recommend to family and friends.

Date created: 2010-05-21 Name: Growt

"Growit"
There has not been a year it has not been a problem. This year the txv has gone out. I have been waiting for 6 weeks to get a replacement part. AVOID AMANA at all costs.

Date created: 2010-05-10 Name: John Smith
Location: PA

"Heatpump disaster"
I am a licensed and insured HVAC contractor in Pa. I have 15 years of experience. I used to sell Amana. All I can say is make sure you register your unit online. Make sure you buy a labor warranty because these Amana heat pumps are plagued with problems. Amana likes to blame these problems on the installers. I braze w/ nitrogen, evacuated the system down 90 microns. I have had three units go down after only a year of operation. I have installed many systems in the past. Rheem had only 1 compressor failure. Buyer beware.

Date created: 2010-04-21 Name: Bud Robbins
Location: Texas

"Not what I expected"
I had a unit in my house about 10 years old and although still working, decided I should replace the unit about a year ago. So I had a 5 ton Amana heat pump installed. Big mistake! Sometimes in the summer, it can get up to and past 100 degrees here in Texas. The old unit would keep the house cool, but my new Amana unit would go up to 89 degrees. When I called the installer, they said that is the best you can expect to get from that unit! So, now in the hot summers, I guess I'll need to get some window units to keep it bearable in the house. The contactor in the outside unit has gone bad and caused the unit to stay on while I was on vacation. Great for the electric bill! I had bought other Amana products, but I will never buy anything else with the Amana name on it!

Date created: 2010-04-08 Name: Bob

"ASX14 Air Conditioner Buyer Beware"
In the last 11 months with this unit: Drainpad cracked 4 times and replaced 4 times leaking water in my house. Outside unit has been replaced twice due to blown compressor. Heater strips burnt out 2 times. You get what you pay for, a pos! I should have forked out the extra money and got a Carrier or a Trane unit.

Date created: 2010-04-07 Name: S. Euliss

"Our amana heat pump in rental apartment"
This heat pump has given us nothing but trouble over the past 3 years. The compressor keeps going out and it seems there is always issues with it.

Date created: 2010-03-08 Name: Mr. & Ms. Smith

"Our electric is to much"
We haven't even owned our unit a year and it's been trouble ever since. And our electric bill has doubled. We have had someone to come out and look at the electric and check the unit and they told us that it was pulling way too, too much electric! I wouldn't advise anyone to get one. It's been trouble from the beginning. Oh and I noticed it staying on auxilliary heat a lot. I paid upfront for this and I paid a lot of money for a lemon!

Date created: 2010-02-28 Name: Jeff

"GREAT UNIT!"
I get a kick out of these reviews... especially the poor ones. I am a Goodman and Amana dealer technician and I 100% believe in the product and their warranty. I believe in them so much I'm pulling out a Carrier (which if you have a 90+ efficient Bryant or Carrier furnace.. your heat exchanger is junk i.e. holes and cracks. Even as early as 3-5 yrs old) Anyways, these are great as are many products if installed correctly by real licensed professionals. We actually offer a 10 year parts and labor!!! Warranty and don't have very many issues at all..Good luck all!!

Date created: 2010-02-28 Name: A. Seaver

"Amana 5 ton heat pump"
Had this unit installed 4/10/2009 to replace an undersized unit. It worked fine until a few months ago when it seemed to get stuck in the defrost mode. Our installer said they "sometimes do that-just turn the unit off for awhile and let it reset". Well, so much for that idea-the unit stopped heating completely a few weeks later. The contractor called the factory and discovered that a batch of redesigned(re:defective) reversing valves were installed and I must have one, so they sent a new valve assy., which was installed a few days later. That lasted exactly 1 week, and the heat disappeared again. The contractor came out again and worked on it for a couple hours and said he found the problem. A piece of the brazing got inside the system and blocked an orifice. He said he removed it, recharged the system, and all was good. Well, all was good for a whole 4 days, when this piece of junk stopped heating yet again. When the contractor was here last, he said he would order another valve assy. "just in case". I think he knew something he wasn't telling me, but I hope that new valve assy. is at his shop, 'cause it's now needed. If that doesn't correct the problem, I'm just going to have to start raising a stink until the entire unit gets replaced (perhaps with a different brand).