Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: S. R.
Location: Newtown, PA

"Keep Looking"
In reply to a previous post, I have the same issue (almost). Bought a house 2 months ago with a new Amana Heat Pump / Indoor unit installed in Dec. of 2009. November electric bill come and I almost fell off the chair. After 3 different HVAC guys with varying opinions on what's wrong, found out that refrigerant has leaked due to a defective evaporator coil (common issue with this unit). So even though the compressor was running, heat was basically generated by the indoor strip heater. If your thermostat displays Aux Heat, heat is generated by the strip heater. When the compressor is running, the large diameter copper tube going into your home should be hot. If its warm, then you likely have the same issue - little or no refrigerant in the system. The fan on your heat pump may be working but its not an indication that the heat pump is functioning properly.

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: Bob buttzer
Location: Anoka, MN

"Bad amana heat pump"
I have had to have service almost every year since I got it 5 years ago. I am also getting terrible humming and vibrations. It has vibrated wires out of wire nuts in our electrical outlets. It is a safty hazard and amana should be facing legal action for these p.o.s's.

Date created: 2011-01-05 Name: M. Stewart
Location: Lawrence, KS

"Wondering how you know it's on the heat strip"
I bought a house recently with a 2009 Amana heat pump installed. Already had a compressor go out, which was replaced under warranty. My unit is also extremely noisy, to the point you'd assume it will break equipment sooner rather than later. Intrigued by the review that said they were running on their heat strip for no good reason. I know this happened when my compressor was out, but I just got my December electric bill and yikes! Can anyone explain how to know if it's on the heat strip other than to look and make sure the compressor blades are turning

Date created: 2011-01-04 Name: I Owens

"Temp Assure Ultra"
This unit makes such a loud hum when it is defrosting, it drives guests out of the guest bedroom. The hum carries into the kitchen/family room, so intensely, there are certain areas in the room we can't be! In the upstairs, it feels like a motor is vibrating on our heads. We live in a temperate area of Oregon; and have had many service calls to try and moderate the situation. We would not recommend Amana to anyone.

Date created: 2010-12-26 Name: Jack R.
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Buyer Beware"
Satisfied with the cooling aspect of my unit BUT I dread when winter temps roll in. Bought my Amana unit in the winter of '09. The first time the unit went into defrost mode I was shocked at how loud and noisy it was. I called for a tech to come out and check things over. I thought something was wrong with it. They found nothing wrong, said it was normal for them to sound that way and to not expect to get 5 years out of the unit. (This was a second opinion from another HVAC service) I mean this things sounds like a 25hp riding lawm mower running at full speed outside my bedroom windown. It litterally wakes me up sometimes, can keep me from falling asleep and I can hear it kick into defrost when I am 100ft away in my storage building, even though the unit is on the other side of the house!!! It also goes into its defrost mode when it is only in the 40's and it will also 'defrost' 2-3 times during one cycle. Ridiculous piece of JUNK!!! This amana unit replaced a 20 yr old Carrier unit that ran like a charm and was whisper quiet. Wish I would have gone back with a carrier, but what can I say...I was suckered into a good sales talk about the 'lifetime' warranty on amana units. Guess I will find out soon enough what their 'lifetime' warranty covers because the noises this amana 'jet engine' makes when it kicks into defrost mode cannot be good for the components.

Date created: 2010-12-24 Name: P. Murphy
Location: richmond, va

"Hig winter usage"
The first winter the unit worked to perfection. The seocnd and third winters the stip heat runs all the time and the installer can not find the solution. The set back thermostat was repalced but this did not help. The main control board was replaced but it still runs the strip heat. Should have got a Trane. Do not buy an Amana

Date created: 2010-12-15 Name: M. Tilley
Location: Richmond, VA

"Don't buy an AMANA heatpump"
I had an Amana unit installed spring of 2007. Each winter it has been using so much electricity, (between 3000 to 6000 kw hrs a month)that my electric bill is too high to even survive. Seven people have looked at it, and no one can figure out the problem. Some issues were found on the outside unit which the installer replaced, but no one can figure out why to heat 1200 sq ft to 68 degrees it should use insane amounts of energy. It is the worst $4700 purchase I have ever made and am looking at having to completely replace it after 3 winters because it is too expensive to run. That said, the summer electric bill is acceptable. I wish I had never ever purchased an Amana. Let me also say, the customer service dept is more worthless than the units. A better use of your money is to flush it down the toilet.

Date created: 2010-12-09 Name: Scott
Location: Greensboro NC

"Satisfied but read"
We have been an AMANA dealer for many years. In the 70s amana was cutting edge and pushed the envelope on thinking and efficiency. We also carry Trane and Carrier. I can tell you that the Quality of all of these are they same except one area, the gas furnaces. AMANA is the ONLY manufactor to use 100% stainless steal heat exchangers and if they EVER fail Amana will send you a complete new furnace. Trust me, ive installed them all. Buy amana for life or buy the others for @ 10 years becuase thats all youll get out of them.

Date created: 2010-11-16 Name: S Dunphy
Location: Malibu, CA

"2 ton heat pump, two separate units"
We've had our units for 18 years and both are still working wonderfully. During a heavy wind we had the fan catch on a tubing in the outside unit and it stopped. The technician came and unwound it. Only repair ever.

Date created: 2010-11-06 Name: Don Hamblin

"Fried"
We just started out second season with an Amana unit and the first time it "switched" over to gas heat all the electronics in both the furnace and the heatpump fried! There had been a high voltage wire pinched by a low voltage connector during assembly, and the high voltage wire finally burned through. Amana / Goodman is going to cover all costs for a full replacement heat pump, but I did have to spend one week with NO HEAT and a second with only gas. Not recommended due to poor QA during assembly.