Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Pattie
Location: Pennsylvania

"Not happy"
Installed a new Amana heat pump in June of this year. It is always 10 degrees warmer or colder on our 2nd floor! Not enough air flow to cover both floors yet we never had this problem with our old unit! Then when winter started is when the problems really started. The unit never defrosts and now I'm told that there may be a problem with the defrost mechanism and there may be a recall they aren't sure yet! Yet, in the mean time we're using our emergency heat which costs a fortune to run.

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Sitterding
Location: Goldsboro, NC

"No service back-up of their product"
Our Amana split heat pump (9 years in service)broke down in the middle of winter. A capillary connected to the expansion valve suffered a fatigue break. The service shop ordered a replacement part from Amana and we waited. We are still waiting after two weeks. Calls are answered the same way: the part is on back order. I called Amana myself and was told that the part was not an Amana Part and they shrugged off all responsibility. They finally gave me a phone number of a local supply warehouse. The call was answered with "this number is no longer in service"! It makes you feel that Amana does not care about customer service, nor do they keep up with fringe suppliers of parts for their units. I will replace this Amana of ours, but it will not be an amana unit!

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: Adrian
Location: Montreal, ca

"Amana unit was replaced 3 times in two year"
Bought the unit in 2008 with a 10 year warranty. Since then, the external unit (compressor) burned down 3 times. Each time the external unit was replaced with a brand new one, but still continued to burn down. The last time was in December 2010, the inside coil and external unit was replaced by the next generation model, but it lasted about 15 days and need to be replaced again. Each time it goes down, we have to wait month to get a replacement and in the mean time we are using the emergency heat which double our electric bill for that period. What is there to be done now? continue to replace the unit year after year until the warranty expire?

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: J. Ondrejko
Location: Oak Hill, VA

"Manufacturing Operational Problems"
Purchased 18 seer Amana heat pump in Sept. 2010. 1st problem was a wireless Honeywell thermostat that was bad. 2nd problem is the air noise from the air handler thruout the ductwork. Air handler moves a lot of air at high velocity. 3rd problem was the defrost system when heating season arrived. Unit frosted up and wouldn't defrost. My next door neighbor also had a new Amana installed and had identical defrost problem. Unit was fixed by replacing defrost electronic board and defrost sensor. Unit ran fine for several weeks and has again frosted up. heat pump now neither heats or cools and appears to be out of refrigerant. Installer is coming tomorrow to try and fix.

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: M. Capiel
Location: florida

"Need ear plugs!"
I hate to review when the unit is only 3 days installed..BUT.. This thing is LOUD!! On the plus side it does a great job with heat/AC. The airhandler sounds like a 747 in a closet..scary! The air whooshing thru ducts is also ..scary..afraid that duct cover is going to blow off . Bottom line is that this is a very powerful unit..does great job but is NOT quiet, especially when airhandler is in a hall closet. Old unit was there and not practical to move location.( I now wish I had opted to place in attic) This replaced a smaller, old (16 years) 10 seer unit.New Amana is 3.5 16 seer . As for saving energy, I cannot yet determine . We will see...?? .

Date created: 2011-01-13 Name: Tony D. Bailey
Location: Flora, MS

"Amana Heat pump"
Loud, noisy, maintenance nightmare....a true P.O.S. Replacing unit as soon as possible

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: S. R.
Location: Newtown, PA

"Keep Looking"
In reply to a previous post, I have the same issue (almost). Bought a house 2 months ago with a new Amana Heat Pump / Indoor unit installed in Dec. of 2009. November electric bill come and I almost fell off the chair. After 3 different HVAC guys with varying opinions on what's wrong, found out that refrigerant has leaked due to a defective evaporator coil (common issue with this unit). So even though the compressor was running, heat was basically generated by the indoor strip heater. If your thermostat displays Aux Heat, heat is generated by the strip heater. When the compressor is running, the large diameter copper tube going into your home should be hot. If its warm, then you likely have the same issue - little or no refrigerant in the system. The fan on your heat pump may be working but its not an indication that the heat pump is functioning properly.

Date created: 2011-01-10 Name: Bob buttzer
Location: Anoka, MN

"Bad amana heat pump"
I have had to have service almost every year since I got it 5 years ago. I am also getting terrible humming and vibrations. It has vibrated wires out of wire nuts in our electrical outlets. It is a safty hazard and amana should be facing legal action for these p.o.s's.

Date created: 2011-01-05 Name: M. Stewart
Location: Lawrence, KS

"Wondering how you know it's on the heat strip"
I bought a house recently with a 2009 Amana heat pump installed. Already had a compressor go out, which was replaced under warranty. My unit is also extremely noisy, to the point you'd assume it will break equipment sooner rather than later. Intrigued by the review that said they were running on their heat strip for no good reason. I know this happened when my compressor was out, but I just got my December electric bill and yikes! Can anyone explain how to know if it's on the heat strip other than to look and make sure the compressor blades are turning

Date created: 2011-01-04 Name: I Owens

"Temp Assure Ultra"
This unit makes such a loud hum when it is defrosting, it drives guests out of the guest bedroom. The hum carries into the kitchen/family room, so intensely, there are certain areas in the room we can't be! In the upstairs, it feels like a motor is vibrating on our heads. We live in a temperate area of Oregon; and have had many service calls to try and moderate the situation. We would not recommend Amana to anyone.