Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: s.o.l
Location: Atlanta,ga

"Got what i paid for"
My old unit went out on christmas eve. So i was in a mad rush to do research and buy a new system for the tax credit. From chrismas eve until the 31st my oven was the main source of heat and it did not move my bill as much as this crap. I am looking for a solution to this nightmare if anyone has any suggestions please post.

Date created: 2011-02-04 Name: D. B. Brooks
Location: Atlanta, Ga

"High power bill"
Let's take them to court

Date created: 2011-02-04 Name: G Green
Location: Schertz, TX

"Pure junk"
Pure garbage! Am sitting in my home watching the temp drop because my 9 month old systems don't work. Two 3 ton units neither of them work below 40 degrees. Trash trash trash

Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: Pattie
Location: PA

"Review"
Our original heat pump went this past June and we installed an Amana! Worst thing we ever did. Our upstairs is always 10degrees colder or hotter depending on the season. Now that winter is here it won't defrost. The defrost mechanisms aren't working. Now we're running on emergency heat which is extremely expensive. Our old unit which was 15 years old, worked better than this! Still waiting for a phone call from our service people since yesterday to see what they are going to do to resolve the situation. As far as I'm concerned, a totally different brand would be better than this!

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: S. Hall
Location: Powder Springs, GA

"Icy indoors"
I bought this house 3 years ago, and the couple who owned it kept everything well maintained, including their almost-new Amana heat pump. It is now 7 years old and dead. I have had nothing but trouble. It leaks freon like a sieve, screams loudly and roars louder than any other unit in the whole neighborhood, and is colder than a well digger's backside in winter. Now it is dead, I have had no heat since Saturday, it's 50 degrees inside this house (with a temp of 47 outside), and it's going down into the 20's tomorrow night. Who the hell would buy an Amana heat pump? Maybe a stove or a dishwasher, but NOT A HEAT PUMP.

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Pattie
Location: Pennsylvania

"Not happy"
Installed a new Amana heat pump in June of this year. It is always 10 degrees warmer or colder on our 2nd floor! Not enough air flow to cover both floors yet we never had this problem with our old unit! Then when winter started is when the problems really started. The unit never defrosts and now I'm told that there may be a problem with the defrost mechanism and there may be a recall they aren't sure yet! Yet, in the mean time we're using our emergency heat which costs a fortune to run.

Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Sitterding
Location: Goldsboro, NC

"No service back-up of their product"
Our Amana split heat pump (9 years in service)broke down in the middle of winter. A capillary connected to the expansion valve suffered a fatigue break. The service shop ordered a replacement part from Amana and we waited. We are still waiting after two weeks. Calls are answered the same way: the part is on back order. I called Amana myself and was told that the part was not an Amana Part and they shrugged off all responsibility. They finally gave me a phone number of a local supply warehouse. The call was answered with "this number is no longer in service"! It makes you feel that Amana does not care about customer service, nor do they keep up with fringe suppliers of parts for their units. I will replace this Amana of ours, but it will not be an amana unit!

Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: Adrian
Location: Montreal, ca

"Amana unit was replaced 3 times in two year"
Bought the unit in 2008 with a 10 year warranty. Since then, the external unit (compressor) burned down 3 times. Each time the external unit was replaced with a brand new one, but still continued to burn down. The last time was in December 2010, the inside coil and external unit was replaced by the next generation model, but it lasted about 15 days and need to be replaced again. Each time it goes down, we have to wait month to get a replacement and in the mean time we are using the emergency heat which double our electric bill for that period. What is there to be done now? continue to replace the unit year after year until the warranty expire?

Date created: 2011-01-17 Name: J. Ondrejko
Location: Oak Hill, VA

"Manufacturing Operational Problems"
Purchased 18 seer Amana heat pump in Sept. 2010. 1st problem was a wireless Honeywell thermostat that was bad. 2nd problem is the air noise from the air handler thruout the ductwork. Air handler moves a lot of air at high velocity. 3rd problem was the defrost system when heating season arrived. Unit frosted up and wouldn't defrost. My next door neighbor also had a new Amana installed and had identical defrost problem. Unit was fixed by replacing defrost electronic board and defrost sensor. Unit ran fine for several weeks and has again frosted up. heat pump now neither heats or cools and appears to be out of refrigerant. Installer is coming tomorrow to try and fix.

Date created: 2011-01-15 Name: M. Capiel
Location: florida

"Need ear plugs!"
I hate to review when the unit is only 3 days installed..BUT.. This thing is LOUD!! On the plus side it does a great job with heat/AC. The airhandler sounds like a 747 in a closet..scary! The air whooshing thru ducts is also ..scary..afraid that duct cover is going to blow off . Bottom line is that this is a very powerful unit..does great job but is NOT quiet, especially when airhandler is in a hall closet. Old unit was there and not practical to move location.( I now wish I had opted to place in attic) This replaced a smaller, old (16 years) 10 seer unit.New Amana is 3.5 16 seer . As for saving energy, I cannot yet determine . We will see...?? .