Consumer Reviews of Amana heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Amana heat pumps

Date created: 2011-02-13 Name: moe
Location: Washington

"Heat pump Model VTH243B08AA"
There are 26 units in a new high end condo we live in, everyone, I mean everyone (underline twice) is dissatisfied with this units. The noise level is twice the DB as it is called for and this units are unable to heat a 1,600-1900 sq feet condo. Do not recommend this unit, do not waste your money buy an Amana brand.

Date created: 2011-02-10 Name: J. Rollings
Location: Quinton, VA

"Very happy with system"
Very happy with our Amana heat pump. Spent many hours on line reading about all the different systems available. One thing I learned was you can't take the reviews as a major guide line.Every brand has lots of bad reviews. I found that getting someone that knew what they were doing to install the system was a major factor. Check the company out with the BBB. The company that installed the new system was very knowledgable and also was the only company that checked the duct work (very important)to make sure it could handle the system. The Amana heatpump has done a great job keeping our home warm during the coldest December and January we have had in quite a few years. With temps in the teens and twenties the backup has not cut on once except during the defrost cycle. Our old system would have run off the backup most of the time. Don't pay extra money for a popular brand name.
Date created: 2011-02-07 Name: s.o.l
Location: Atlanta,ga

"Got what i paid for"
My old unit went out on christmas eve. So i was in a mad rush to do research and buy a new system for the tax credit. From chrismas eve until the 31st my oven was the main source of heat and it did not move my bill as much as this crap. I am looking for a solution to this nightmare if anyone has any suggestions please post.
Date created: 2011-02-04 Name: D. B. Brooks
Location: Atlanta, Ga

"High power bill"
Let's take them to court
Date created: 2011-02-04 Name: G Green
Location: Schertz, TX

"Pure junk"
Pure garbage! Am sitting in my home watching the temp drop because my 9 month old systems don't work. Two 3 ton units neither of them work below 40 degrees. Trash trash trash
Date created: 2011-02-02 Name: Pattie
Location: PA

"Review"
Our original heat pump went this past June and we installed an Amana! Worst thing we ever did. Our upstairs is always 10degrees colder or hotter depending on the season. Now that winter is here it won't defrost. The defrost mechanisms aren't working. Now we're running on emergency heat which is extremely expensive. Our old unit which was 15 years old, worked better than this! Still waiting for a phone call from our service people since yesterday to see what they are going to do to resolve the situation. As far as I'm concerned, a totally different brand would be better than this!
Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: S. Hall
Location: Powder Springs, GA

"Icy indoors"
I bought this house 3 years ago, and the couple who owned it kept everything well maintained, including their almost-new Amana heat pump. It is now 7 years old and dead. I have had nothing but trouble. It leaks freon like a sieve, screams loudly and roars louder than any other unit in the whole neighborhood, and is colder than a well digger's backside in winter. Now it is dead, I have had no heat since Saturday, it's 50 degrees inside this house (with a temp of 47 outside), and it's going down into the 20's tomorrow night. Who the hell would buy an Amana heat pump? Maybe a stove or a dishwasher, but NOT A HEAT PUMP.
Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Pattie
Location: Pennsylvania

"Not happy"
Installed a new Amana heat pump in June of this year. It is always 10 degrees warmer or colder on our 2nd floor! Not enough air flow to cover both floors yet we never had this problem with our old unit! Then when winter started is when the problems really started. The unit never defrosts and now I'm told that there may be a problem with the defrost mechanism and there may be a recall they aren't sure yet! Yet, in the mean time we're using our emergency heat which costs a fortune to run.
Date created: 2011-02-01 Name: Sitterding
Location: Goldsboro, NC

"No service back-up of their product"
Our Amana split heat pump (9 years in service)broke down in the middle of winter. A capillary connected to the expansion valve suffered a fatigue break. The service shop ordered a replacement part from Amana and we waited. We are still waiting after two weeks. Calls are answered the same way: the part is on back order. I called Amana myself and was told that the part was not an Amana Part and they shrugged off all responsibility. They finally gave me a phone number of a local supply warehouse. The call was answered with "this number is no longer in service"! It makes you feel that Amana does not care about customer service, nor do they keep up with fringe suppliers of parts for their units. I will replace this Amana of ours, but it will not be an amana unit!
Date created: 2011-01-19 Name: Adrian
Location: Montreal, ca

"Amana unit was replaced 3 times in two year"
Bought the unit in 2008 with a 10 year warranty. Since then, the external unit (compressor) burned down 3 times. Each time the external unit was replaced with a brand new one, but still continued to burn down. The last time was in December 2010, the inside coil and external unit was replaced by the next generation model, but it lasted about 15 days and need to be replaced again. Each time it goes down, we have to wait month to get a replacement and in the mean time we are using the emergency heat which double our electric bill for that period. What is there to be done now? continue to replace the unit year after year until the warranty expire?