Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2012-11-02 Name: D. English
Location: Charlotte

"Extremely Unhappy"
Extremely Unhappy We purchased a new Amana heat-pump and are so disappointed. My husband refers to it as the leaf blower that just went on. It is so very, very loud. It also is on constantly so we have our TV and radios extremely loud to hear anything and forget about talking on the phone when it clicks on. Sleep? What is sleep, if you plan to purchase one of these be prepared to be awake all night. I just turn it off and get extra blankets. Extremely unhappy and tired.

Date created: 2012-10-24 Name: B. burk
Location: Cumming. Ga.

"Low Quality"
Unit is only two years old and the coil is leaking and needs to be replaced. Been quoted $400.00 just for labor to replace. Probably 100.00 more for freon.

Date created: 2012-07-23 Name: R. Jones
Location: Lakeland Florida

"Heat pump"
Installed new heat pump when I bought a brand new mobile home for my retired mother. 4 yrs later the evaporator coil had to be replaced due to a leak. Now two yrs later the same problem has occured again. This time the part is under warranty, but the labor involved to replace it after only 2 yrs is $550. This unit would better serve as a boat anchor than a cooling unit.

Date created: 2012-07-09 Name: A Brinkley
Location: Ocala FL

"Guaranteed to go out every 5-6 months"
We had a new Amana system installed 4 years ago by a very reputable dealer. They sold us on the lifetime compressor warranty. The first week we had it the 'squirrel cage' had to be replaced due to a missing weight on a blade--- no big deal. But ever since we had reverser valve leaks every 5-6 months with complete loss of refrigerant. We bought the 10 year labor warranty to prevent massive labor costs. The dealer got tired of soldering the fragile reverser valve tubing and so replaced it---still same problems recurred so he decided to replace the entire outdoor unit. We also had to have the expansion valve replaced. Just yesterday we lost refrigerant due to rust on the bottom of the evaporator coils---a 4 year old unit mind you. Never had that happen before. In summary the system is great when it works but goes down about every 5-6 months since we have had it--- won't buy another Amana system.

Date created: 2012-05-05 Name: G. Mancill
Location: Nashville, TN

"Amana is a dud"
This is in response to Dave....We have had a contract with a local company from the moment our Amana was installed and it has been one problem after another. So, it isn't just that people are complaining who don't have their Amana checked and serviced regularly. It is a piece of junk. Constantly going out every year...not even 5 years old.

Date created: 2012-05-03 Name: Cbrinkley
Location: Ocala,fla

"Florida lemon"
We have owned this unit for 4 years and have had nothing but problems!! I will never buy another . It is serviced twice a year, so neglect is not a issue . The local folks here have tried to work and fix the unit in a timely manner, but meanwhile we do without cool air in the Florida summers . The compressor has gone out, the expansion valve x2, the reverser valve x2 which results in no gas to cool .

Date created: 2012-01-12 Name: Scruffdawg
Location: Cookeville, Tn

"First Time Buyer"
We have had the unit four years now. It is a little loud in the defrosting stage. I would think that normal though. The whole thing is air movement. So make sure to get a good installer that understands the dynamics of the heat pump. One more thing. Make sure you have the proper amount of insulation for your climate.

Date created: 2011-11-17 Name: John W.
Location: Tennessee

"WARNING!!!!"
Warning!!!!!! This unit has had two major failures since it was installed 2 years ago, compressor and coil failed. Piece of junk! Not only is the unit junk, but, Amana / Goodman will not support it. Can't believe how we have been treated by company and their repair person. Their customer service is worthless. They talk down to you and could care less if you are having problems. Do not buy an Amana or their sister company goodman. If you do, don't say you were not warned!

Date created: 2011-10-23 Name: K. Smith
Location: Nazareth, PA

"Extremely Maintenance Intensive"
I've had this Amana Heat Pump RHF30A2A for 5 years now! I've replaced the indoor coils, compressor, txv valve, 2 reversing valves, fan motor, and fan blades!! $1000'S of dollars in labor cost!!! I will never purchase a product from Amana again!! Every internal part is made from China. The reversing valves are made in China and last about 2-3yrs before the synthetic piston seizes up! Extremely difficult to replace in the field! Amana is aware of this issue, but does nothing to address the problem!! Do not buy an Amana!!

Date created: 2011-08-24 Name: Ricky Martin
Location: Richardson, TX

"Best Energy Saver Ever"
After five years of owning this system it took one special person from my installer to correct one minor wiring problem that was driving my electric bills through the roof after it was installed. One pair of wires inside the air handler was not taped causing it to arch thus causing the emergency heat to kick on randomly. After he resolved this I am now seeing my energy savings and a really cold home here in this Texas heat wave. Thanks to "Ted at one hour a/c" he fixed what the original installers could not!