Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2017?

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: B. Roberts
Location: Renton, WA

"Long life"
My Amana heat pump finally died at 36 years old. It has required exactly 1 service call in the 24 years I've been in the house. Complaints about leaking lines are the fault of the installer. I am grateful some unknown builder used a good installer in 1978. Now to find a good installer for the replacement.

Date created: 2015-06-26 Name: Richard L. Jones, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Location: Warner Robins, GA

"Poor design, poor customer service"
My Amana heat pump is 4 years old and a refrigerant line has failed twice in the same location, near the compressor. The reason for the failures is vibration-induced fatigue. The small line goes directly from the compressor over to the side of the unit. This small line is therefore trying to keep the compressor from vibrating, which induces fatigue stresses leading to cracks and loss of refrigerant. The local installer just wants to braze over the crack again. But to prevent this from happening a third time, a vibration loop needs to be installed in the line, so the compressor can vibrate without stressing the line. Amana technical support will not talk to me about this, since I am not a certified HVAC technician. However, I am a mechanical engineer by degree and have worked vibration related failures in USAF aircraft hydraulic systems. I will never buy an Amana unit again.

Date created: 2014-07-25 Name: Lance Petty
Location: British Columbia Canada

"All Heat Pumps are the same!!!!"
Before you slam your heat pump brand take a look at the company that installed it!!! All heat pumps have the same parts on the inside from the same factory. Compressors, reversing valves, motors and other parts all come from the same factory's and are installed in every heat pump. 95% of the time when you dig deep enough the contractor that installed it did something wrong. Duct sizing, heatloss/gain, refrigeration practice's, refrigerant charge and many other factors affect the life of a heat pump. Too many contractors undersize to be the lowest bid and put in a larger back up heater so you don't notice any difference in comfort. Buyer Beware!! There are a lot of hvac scammers out there!!!!

Date created: 2014-05-20 Name: GLORIA April
Location: Saint Augustine, FL

"DO NOT BUY AN AMANA/GOODMAN"
Nothing but problems since installation. First, it kept tripping breakers. Then the motor went out and took over a week to get it replaced. We live in Florida and it was over 90 deg in the house -- no relief had to go to hotel. I have asthma and sister has cancer and is on oxygen. Not anyone's problem. They told me I should have known this was a problem ac. Yeah right. Motor out again within 3 months -- it took another week for the replacement. Amana is a piece of crap. Stay away from Amana.

Date created: 2014-01-07 Name: Lois
Location: VA

"Worthless Junk"
I inherited this piece of junk when I moved into my home two years ago. Thank goodness it is still under its last year of warranty. I have made at least 10 service calls within two years to United Air Temps. The compressor and coils had to be replaced and this was determined after 6 visits within four months. After this replacement, the system went out again within two months. Repair Tech said it was the reversing valve. The manager came to my house with a whistle and a smile three weeks later, after I waited for the part that did not show up, and said it was not the valve. Itís amazing he knew this without even checking. How brilliant of him. The situation was never resolved after complaints to bbb, useless. I refuse to live in the cold during winter time. I am replacing this unit but not with Amana and I will never call United Air Temp for service.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: E Priester
Location: Minn

"What's This"
Way too noisy! When the unit runs outside, it is very noisy. My neighbors have another brand without any noise. They don't even hear it with old windows, mine are brand new Marvin'S. Very disappointed in this furnace/AC. The engineers who design this need to have them by their homes.

Date created: 2013-10-23 Name: Sandi
Location: Ma.

"Questions"
I'm heating a sunroom with the Amana 15,000-17,000 btu heat pump. I live in the cold country of Massachusetts. In the summer, the air conditioner works great but in the winter, the heating bill is $350.00 per month just for a 12x24 feet room. The room has the best insulation possible. Why would the difference be so much. The air conditioner runs most of the summer and is great, but I can't afford to heat it in the winter month. Any suggestions?

Date created: 2013-08-07 Name: Mike
Location: Carrollton

"Don't Buy This Product"
Nothing but problems since it was installed brand new in a house built in 2006. Capacitors, system boards, etc, etc. This is the only HVAC unit that I've had tons of problems. Even changing the filter is a major stress point. Poorly designed, poorly built. I'd rather have a Trane than an Amana and that's pretty bad.

Date created: 2013-06-07 Name: Yvonne Looney
Location: Knoxville, TN

"Retired"
Stay away from this brand, we had an Amana heat pump installed in 2012. Worked great first year, then compressor went out. The unit is not yet paid in full and has cost us $1000.00 out of pocket because apparently nothing is covered under warranty. They have you over a barrel either you let them fix it and pay and hope you get your money back or not let them fix it and suffer, either way you suffer the consequences. Stay away from Amana.

Date created: 2013-05-09 Name: R. Workman

"Amana Poor Quality"
I purchased two units in 2005 and I've had to have at least one of them repaired every year since. The repairman states that there are known defects in the "a" coil causing a complete failure and Amana will only warranty the failed part and not the loss of the freon, or freight, or service charge etc. Would not buy again. You have been warned!