Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2008-04-29 Name: Donna
Location: Ironton, OH

We built our home and had 2 Amana units installed. One for up and one for down. The downstairs unit has been fine. But it does not run as much as the upstairs unit, we have gas logs downstairs, and in the summer it is partly underground, so it stays pretty cool w/o running the ac unit. For the past 5 years, every season, we have had to have our Amana unit upstairs worked on. We've had coils replaced, condensers, & the compressor. Now it is completely down again (new season), and here we are w/o A.C. yet again. We have to have the whole system replaced, and of course there is no warranty left. Don't buy this system!

Date created: 2008-03-21 Name: Frank Winchester
Location: Franklin, Tennessee

I've read the other reviews. I don't have enough space but let me tell you their warranty is bull. I won't say I could buy a Trane with what I have spent on warranty but I sure could have bought the top of the line Trane and had money left over if I would not have spent the money on this. What junk. Should have listened to my cousin but I was too cheap. If anything else goes wrong I am going to have to change it out !!!!

Date created: 2008-02-28 Name: doug drufner
Location: Metairie, LA

Stay away at all costs on any Amana Heat pump. In 30 months we are on coil number four and still runs constant during 40 degree and over 80 degree weather. Dealing with their corporate is a joke and after spending over $14,000 on a total new system with ductwork, I would have been better off keeping our Katrina flooded system, at least it still worked (for how much longer I will never know) Very loud startup and shoutdown of this system. Don't see this system in our house for another summer. There only offer to us was $300.00 to sign off on all previous failures of their system.

Date created: 2008-02-25 Name: Jack
Location: Outer Banks, NC

We bought and had the heat pump along with the air handler installed 4 years ago. The heat pump started to give us problems within months. Now the coils have to be replaced along with the refridgerant. Parts are covered by warranty but not labor or the cost of the refridgerant, which will run us about $800. We are more than dissatisfied. We're angry!

Date created: 2008-02-24 Name: Doug Gray

Bought it for the name and advertised warranty. 1k rebate. 3ton unit. Runs continually. Will not switch temperature without going into auxilary heat mode. Heat strip fried, unit froze, new swithces,ect. 7 trips from the company repairmen and still not fixed. Less than 2 weeks old. 18 seers of trouble.

Date created: 2008-01-24 Name: Charles Suehs
Location: Dripping Springs, TX

We have had to repair this Amana Heat Pump every year since its install five years ago. The parts for the first two repairs were covered under warranty. The controller board went out. The blower went out. Outside motor went out. Had to install a hard-start capacitor on the outside unit. The relays for the heat strips went out $400 parts and labor. Blew smoke into the house. We are disappointed to put it mildly.

Date created: 2008-01-18 Name: James
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Our Amana heat pump crashed and burned a few months after the 5-year part of the warranty ended. We paid $400 to have the fan fixed and then the compressor shorted out and died. Thankfully the compressor is still under warranty but we've been told that the cost of the labor to install it, which is not covered under the warranty, will likely make purchasing a new heat pump the wiser decision. So, our Amana heat pump basically served us for 5 years. We think that's a poor return on our investment. We will never buy another Amana heat pump again and it is likely that we will think twice about buying anything made by Amana again.