Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2014?

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2008-08-23 Name: R. Allen
Location: Seattle, WA

"No problems"
My house has 3 heat pump systems. a 4 year old Trane, a 3 year old Carrier and a 5 year old Amana. Both my Trane and Carrier have had bad control boards and the Carrier had a bad motor. The Amana have had no problems. My Amana also came with a 10 year warranty.

Date created: 2008-08-16 Name: Bryan Fullerton
Location: Vancouver, WA

"Amana is supposed to be good?"
I run a preschool out of my home so I need a heat pump that works when its 101 degrees outside. I replaced our huge old Lennox that worked fine for 10 years with a same tonnage but smaller Amana. This Amana didnít work well from the start. Finally figured out the expansion valve was bad. I had the local one hour heating shop the recommended and installed the unit replace the old valve and it finally has worked like its supposed to for about 1 year. Now it looks like the pump/motor is seized up. I canít wait to see what this will cost. Oh and it did have a bad circuit board replaced as well.

Date created: 2008-08-05 Name: David Filges
Location: New Kent, VA

"Amana junk pumps"
I have two of these Amana heat pumps installed by the contractor. In 7 years, the upstairs unit has had two evaporator coils and an outside fan motor replaced at a cost of about $2,000. The downstairs unit has had an outside fan motor and evaporator drip tray replaced at a cost of about $750. These units are nothing but trouble, I would never buy one again.

Date created: 2008-08-04 Name: Plank
Location: Allentown, PA

"LOVE IT"
I love this thing I have not had any problem like the reviews in here. I think quality of the install has everything to do with it

Date created: 2008-07-21 Name: R Eddings
Location: Olympia, WA

"I love it"
I bought a 16 seer 3 Ton Heat Pump, It runs great, It has saved me a ton of money over the gas furnace I had before.

Date created: 2008-05-18 Name: C. Stephens
Location: Hampton, VA

We have the whole, heat pump/air unit. It works very well - - when it works. We have had 6 service calls in less than two years. Now at least once every 6 - 8 weeks we have to shut the system down and restart so it will cool or heat rather than just circulate air. We have not seen the energy savings promised. We expected a lot more for a system that cost nearly $10,000. (Yeah, we really feel like we were ripped off - big time)!

Date created: 2008-04-29 Name: Donna
Location: Ironton, OH

We built our home and had 2 Amana units installed. One for up and one for down. The downstairs unit has been fine. But it does not run as much as the upstairs unit, we have gas logs downstairs, and in the summer it is partly underground, so it stays pretty cool w/o running the ac unit. For the past 5 years, every season, we have had to have our Amana unit upstairs worked on. We've had coils replaced, condensers, & the compressor. Now it is completely down again (new season), and here we are w/o A.C. yet again. We have to have the whole system replaced, and of course there is no warranty left. Don't buy this system!

Date created: 2008-03-21 Name: Frank Winchester
Location: Franklin, Tennessee

I've read the other reviews. I don't have enough space but let me tell you their warranty is bull. I won't say I could buy a Trane with what I have spent on warranty but I sure could have bought the top of the line Trane and had money left over if I would not have spent the money on this. What junk. Should have listened to my cousin but I was too cheap. If anything else goes wrong I am going to have to change it out !!!!

Date created: 2008-02-28 Name: doug drufner
Location: Metairie, LA

Stay away at all costs on any Amana Heat pump. In 30 months we are on coil number four and still runs constant during 40 degree and over 80 degree weather. Dealing with their corporate is a joke and after spending over $14,000 on a total new system with ductwork, I would have been better off keeping our Katrina flooded system, at least it still worked (for how much longer I will never know) Very loud startup and shoutdown of this system. Don't see this system in our house for another summer. There only offer to us was $300.00 to sign off on all previous failures of their system.

Date created: 2008-02-25 Name: Jack
Location: Outer Banks, NC

We bought and had the heat pump along with the air handler installed 4 years ago. The heat pump started to give us problems within months. Now the coils have to be replaced along with the refridgerant. Parts are covered by warranty but not labor or the cost of the refridgerant, which will run us about $800. We are more than dissatisfied. We're angry!