Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2009-02-26 Name: RJ Smith
Location: Edgewater, MD

"18 seers of trouble"
This could be long in blather. I had my Amana 18 seer condensor unit model asz 180361a serial #0802048763, and Amana evaporator model aepf 303616 serial #0801652202 installed March 20, 2008. It is now Feb 26, 2009 and I am on my #3 condensor unit which was installed 2/2/09. The first two units had a problem with the condensor fan not revolving while in the heat or cool cycle for hours at a time. It was also loud enough to hear at night from a distance of 100 yards. When changing from heat cycle to defrost cycle the compressor would grind or hum for 20 seconds (like a telephone pole transformer sounds) which one could hear from more than the normal 100 yards distance. The Amana representative came to my home (Jan 09) and confirmed that I needed a new condensor unit (condensor unit #3, Amana model asz 180361, serial #0810209037) as due to the inoperative condensor fan not revolving in either heat or cool operation. ***note: he told me that "Amana had over 100,000 units built with a bad circut board or computer "in the fan motor". He ordered a new condensor unit from the factory as to get the most recent and up to date unit which has this problem corrected. The condensor fan problem has been corrected but I still have the loud hum when cycling from heat to defrost (it now only lasts for 16 seconds). I just got off the phone with Amana regarding the loud humming noise and the tech department suggested (he said the "only" thing that would cause the hum) that my unit was over charged. I've had this hum on all three condensor units. The system from day one has heated and cooled with good results. The compressor ran for months (Feb to Sept on the # 1 condensor unit) without the condensor fan turning and did not burn the compressor up. That says a lot for the compressor! Amana gets an "a" as to their warranty. The hvac service which is ach Mechanical in Owings Mills gets an a+ for all the service calls they have accomodated me. This could be an excellent product if they ever get the bugs fixed. note: Folks, check your serial number. You might have a unit with a bad condensor fan computer/circut board which would be a defect on Amana's behalf. It has been aggravating and continues to be so. Just hope they get this thing running properly.

Date created: 2009-02-21 Name: Gary Edwards
Location: Yelm, WA

"Great Warranty"
We have a 16 seer Amana heat pump installed about a 1 1/2 years ago and the compressor when out. I was very mad a first but then the repair guy said that we get a whole new unit. Amana has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, if it ever goes out, Amana replaces the whole heat pump for free. Later we found the problem was my son was using the heat pump fan to dry off his blanket, but I never told the repair guy this.:)

Date created: 2009-01-07 Name: J. David
Location: Florence, SC

"Homeowner"
My 1976 Amana finally gave up the ghost. I have the original installations papers. I've used the unit for 18yrs. myself and had very few problems. I have slightly less that a $1000.00 in repairs over that time period. Even with an approximate seer rate of 7 my averaging utility bill has been $155 a month with year end adjustments usually going in my favor. This 4 ton unit heated and cooled a story and half of 2300sq ft. Wish I could get a duplicate unit.

Date created: 2008-12-24 Name: C, Aiello
Location: Portland, OR

"No problems"
I had a amana heat pump installed 2 years ago and and I have had no problems at all with it. My last heat pump had to be replaced only after 4 years, I found out that the problem was that the copper lines from the heat pump to the furnace was to small.

Date created: 2008-11-25 Name: D. Kinser
Location: Knoxville, TN

"Never again!!"
We just bought our Amana 18 seer heat pump less than 4 weeks ago and have already had 4 service calls! The Unit freezes up, then just recirculates the air continually (will not defrost). Our repairman has replaced the circuit board, then the last time brought out an Amana rep who "recalibrated" the freon pump?? Lasted 1 week, then same result...We are demanding a new heat pump today!! I would definitely not recommend this system. What good is a warranty if you have to have weekly service calls??

Date created: 2008-11-20 Name: Richard P.
Location: Atlanta, GA

"Owner"
We have 4 Amana Heat pump units for 17 years and have not had one problem with the outdoor units. One indoor unit had to be replaced because of corrosion. It wasn in the crawel space with a lot of moisture. Like any equipment, it has to be designed properly and installed correctly. If you have high moisture conditions, you are going to have indoor coils/air handlers go bad, no matter the manufacturer. Most of these problems sound like design and or installation problems. My dad was in the ac business for 50 years and I have seen a lot of poor installations that we had to redesign and install new equipment.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: R. Ball
Location: Tacoma, WA

"No problems in 28 years"
I have a amana system that is over 28 years old and no problems at all. I just have it cleaned and checked every year.

Date created: 2008-10-28 Name: Mike Keller
Location: Olympia, WA

"I love it"
I love it, it is so quiet compared to our carrier in my last house. I also love the 99 year warranty.

Date created: 2008-10-25 Name: Wm Lieske
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

"AMA Heat Pump"
We have had our Mana heatpump replaced 3 times in the years that we had our home built. Compressor died twice-unit replaced. now unit keeps cycling on/off- sorry we invested in it.

Date created: 2008-10-06 Name: Steve Sparks
Location: Rochester, WA

"Longtime Amana user"
I replaced my 18 year old Amana Heat Pump with a new Higher Efficiency Amana Heat Pump. The new ones come with a lifetime warranty. It is very quiet and my neighbors are envious!