Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2016-06-17 Name: Patrick Boone
Location: Wilton, CA

"Amana heat pump warranty non-existent"
So, we purchase an Amana heat pump with a 10-year warranty......fast forward 5 years. Lo and behold the product breaks down and Goodman / Amana hides, ducks, and does everything possible to avoid our claim. Pathetic and I hope they go out of business. Never will I purchase a unit from Amana or Goodman

Date created: 2016-03-30 Name: G Northcutt
Location: Tennessee

"Do not buy"
We have had nothing but problems. Parts, including the compressor, are constantly replaced. They will not replace it with a new unit. Still under warranty. I think they are just waiting til it is out of warranty, so we will have to buy another one. I will never buy any Amana product again.

Date created: 2016-03-13 Name: Donald Kennedy
Location: Parrish, FL

Two months out of full warranty parts and labor, the coil went - $850 labor charge. A year later the circulating fan motor went, $350 parts and labor. Next a UV light bulb went, $499 parts and labor. Next a relay for $150 parts and labor. Next a light bulb only went for $140. Today another relay for $210 parts and labor.

Date created: 2015-10-03 Name: M Sheets
Location: Milan, IN

"Run...to any other brand"
We had the unit installed when the house was built. Less than two years later the heat exchanger quit and they replaced the entire outdoor unit. The following two years, had to have two different technicians come in because of Freon leaks. Now, at 7 years old, the unit in the basement has a cracked pan, it leaked rusty water all over the floor of the basement. Although the unit is under warranty, it is not reliable and I would consider it a real lemon! Replacing it with something other than Amana. It sounds like the older models were trouble-free but once Goodman purchased Amana, the quality appears to have suffered.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: B. Roberts
Location: Renton, WA

"Long life"
My Amana heat pump finally died at 36 years old. It has required exactly 1 service call in the 24 years I've been in the house. Complaints about leaking lines are the fault of the installer. I am grateful some unknown builder used a good installer in 1978. Now to find a good installer for the replacement.

Date created: 2015-06-26 Name: Richard L. Jones, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Location: Warner Robins, GA

"Poor design, poor customer service"
My Amana heat pump is 4 years old and a refrigerant line has failed twice in the same location, near the compressor. The reason for the failures is vibration-induced fatigue. The small line goes directly from the compressor over to the side of the unit. This small line is therefore trying to keep the compressor from vibrating, which induces fatigue stresses leading to cracks and loss of refrigerant. The local installer just wants to braze over the crack again. But to prevent this from happening a third time, a vibration loop needs to be installed in the line, so the compressor can vibrate without stressing the line. Amana technical support will not talk to me about this, since I am not a certified HVAC technician. However, I am a mechanical engineer by degree and have worked vibration related failures in USAF aircraft hydraulic systems. I will never buy an Amana unit again.

Date created: 2014-07-25 Name: Lance Petty
Location: British Columbia Canada

"All Heat Pumps are the same!!!!"
Before you slam your heat pump brand take a look at the company that installed it!!! All heat pumps have the same parts on the inside from the same factory. Compressors, reversing valves, motors and other parts all come from the same factory's and are installed in every heat pump. 95% of the time when you dig deep enough the contractor that installed it did something wrong. Duct sizing, heatloss/gain, refrigeration practice's, refrigerant charge and many other factors affect the life of a heat pump. Too many contractors undersize to be the lowest bid and put in a larger back up heater so you don't notice any difference in comfort. Buyer Beware!! There are a lot of hvac scammers out there!!!!

Date created: 2014-05-20 Name: GLORIA April
Location: Saint Augustine, FL

"DO NOT BUY AN AMANA/GOODMAN"
Nothing but problems since installation. First, it kept tripping breakers. Then the motor went out and took over a week to get it replaced. We live in Florida and it was over 90 deg in the house -- no relief had to go to hotel. I have asthma and sister has cancer and is on oxygen. Not anyone's problem. They told me I should have known this was a problem ac. Yeah right. Motor out again within 3 months -- it took another week for the replacement. Amana is a piece of crap. Stay away from Amana.

Date created: 2014-01-07 Name: Lois
Location: VA

"Worthless Junk"
I inherited this piece of junk when I moved into my home two years ago. Thank goodness it is still under its last year of warranty. I have made at least 10 service calls within two years to United Air Temps. The compressor and coils had to be replaced and this was determined after 6 visits within four months. After this replacement, the system went out again within two months. Repair Tech said it was the reversing valve. The manager came to my house with a whistle and a smile three weeks later, after I waited for the part that did not show up, and said it was not the valve. Itís amazing he knew this without even checking. How brilliant of him. The situation was never resolved after complaints to bbb, useless. I refuse to live in the cold during winter time. I am replacing this unit but not with Amana and I will never call United Air Temp for service.

Date created: 2013-12-04 Name: E Priester
Location: Minn

"What's This"
Way too noisy! When the unit runs outside, it is very noisy. My neighbors have another brand without any noise. They don't even hear it with old windows, mine are brand new Marvin'S. Very disappointed in this furnace/AC. The engineers who design this need to have them by their homes.