Consumer Reviews of AMANA heat pumps

Read more about AMANA heat pumps

Date created: 2017-03-02 Name: E. P.
Location: Kirkland, QC, Canada

"Unreliable compressor warranty"
Our heat pump comes with lifetime warranty on the compressor. To get a replacement compressor, you have to hire an Amana certified technician, who charges over $1,500 to replace the compressor. You also get a lot of run around to obtain answers. Conclusion: do not rely on the lifetime compressor replacement warranty. It is too costly to just replace the compressor. Our unit lasted 10.5 years. After reading all the other reviews, we consider ourselves lucky that we didn't have to deal with Amana/Goodman repair people earlier!!! We seem to have been among the relatively lucky customers. We will not buy another Amana/Goodman product again due to the poor warranty experience we had and those we read on this site.

Date created: 2017-01-17 Name: John Reynolds
Location: Greer, SC

"Stay away"
Unit will be five {5} years old Jan. 31, 2017. Since the summer of 2016 it has broken down twice and cost us over $1000.00 Every repairman we have had agrees it is a piece of junk. One repair it had to be completely disassembled and put back together.

Date created: 2017-01-03 Name: Jimmy Williams
Location: Ooltewah, TN

"Owner"
The worst piece of junk you can buy. I had coil leakage problems from day one. Replaced, but the coil still leaked. After 8 years the compressor burned up and although there was a 10 years parts warranty Goodman refused to honor it.

Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Diana Roysdon
Location: Tennessee

"A POS unit. AC works--heat does not. No one can fix."
I will never buy this brand again.

Date created: 2016-06-17 Name: Patrick Boone
Location: Wilton, CA

"Amana heat pump warranty non-existent"
So, we purchase an Amana heat pump with a 10-year warranty......fast forward 5 years. Lo and behold the product breaks down and Goodman / Amana hides, ducks, and does everything possible to avoid our claim. Pathetic and I hope they go out of business. Never will I purchase a unit from Amana or Goodman

Date created: 2016-03-30 Name: G Northcutt
Location: Tennessee

"Do not buy"
We have had nothing but problems. Parts, including the compressor, are constantly replaced. They will not replace it with a new unit. Still under warranty. I think they are just waiting til it is out of warranty, so we will have to buy another one. I will never buy any Amana product again.

Date created: 2016-03-13 Name: Donald Kennedy
Location: Parrish, FL

Two months out of full warranty parts and labor, the coil went - $850 labor charge. A year later the circulating fan motor went, $350 parts and labor. Next a UV light bulb went, $499 parts and labor. Next a relay for $150 parts and labor. Next a light bulb only went for $140. Today another relay for $210 parts and labor.

Date created: 2015-10-03 Name: M Sheets
Location: Milan, IN

"Run...to any other brand"
We had the unit installed when the house was built. Less than two years later the heat exchanger quit and they replaced the entire outdoor unit. The following two years, had to have two different technicians come in because of Freon leaks. Now, at 7 years old, the unit in the basement has a cracked pan, it leaked rusty water all over the floor of the basement. Although the unit is under warranty, it is not reliable and I would consider it a real lemon! Replacing it with something other than Amana. It sounds like the older models were trouble-free but once Goodman purchased Amana, the quality appears to have suffered.

Date created: 2015-09-25 Name: B. Roberts
Location: Renton, WA

"Long life"
My Amana heat pump finally died at 36 years old. It has required exactly 1 service call in the 24 years I've been in the house. Complaints about leaking lines are the fault of the installer. I am grateful some unknown builder used a good installer in 1978. Now to find a good installer for the replacement.

Date created: 2015-06-26 Name: Richard L. Jones, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Location: Warner Robins, GA

"Poor design, poor customer service"
My Amana heat pump is 4 years old and a refrigerant line has failed twice in the same location, near the compressor. The reason for the failures is vibration-induced fatigue. The small line goes directly from the compressor over to the side of the unit. This small line is therefore trying to keep the compressor from vibrating, which induces fatigue stresses leading to cracks and loss of refrigerant. The local installer just wants to braze over the crack again. But to prevent this from happening a third time, a vibration loop needs to be installed in the line, so the compressor can vibrate without stressing the line. Amana technical support will not talk to me about this, since I am not a certified HVAC technician. However, I am a mechanical engineer by degree and have worked vibration related failures in USAF aircraft hydraulic systems. I will never buy an Amana unit again.