Consumer Reviews of Amana heat pumps

best product icon  What are the Best Heat Pumps for 2018?

Read more about Amana heat pumps

Date created: 2019-07-03 Name: Anne Legacey
Location: Kirkland, QC

"Horrible!"
We purchased our Amana Asz140 heat pump in Nov. 2014; this past winter the compressor died as well as the reversing valve. We spent a great deal on service calls since we did not take a contract with the dealer. However, everything was supposed to be fine after the repairs were done some 20 days later. We are now mid-summer and it is 27.5 degrees cel. In the house even though the thermostat is set at 24 degrees; the system is set to Cool but the pump has shut itself off. I will have to spend another bundle again... And as a recent widow, I cannot afford this again. I will NEVER AGAIN buy any Amana product - Thanks a lot, people.

Date created: 2019-06-26 Name: KATHLEEN E HINES
Location: Ohio

"Avoid Amana Heat Pumps"
We took the advice of our previous air conditioning company owner, whom we have had for 30 years or so (who eventually sold out to the current company) and replaced our air conditioner/furnace with the new Amana heat pump and new furnace. We always have the service maintenance agreement for 2x a year maintenance on all units, which includes a humidifier on the furnace. The heat pump broke on us in the first year and Amana had to replace it, but we were charged the installation for this! ($350). This second unit has had multiple problems costing hundreds of dollars to replace/repair, and we today have someone here to replace the super noisy fan on the unit that is breaking ($860). We are retired and wanted a unit that we could depend on working and not have to worry about. But every winter we have to have repairmen come to fix it. We have had it not work every winter since we got it. One time without heat for several days! We have had the air conditioner quit working constantly. It also seems to want to lag behind on the temperature for days, trying to get it warmer inside, or cooler..depending on the season. We constantly have to put the emergency heat on to warm the house. If I had to do it over again, I would never have replaced the older, but "working" units!! Our current company does not sell Amana, but they repair them. They have to take the complaints about Amana, and for that, I feel bad for them. Never again will I ever, ever buy Amana!! Nor will my family/friends, neighbors and anyone who will listen to me. A person could retire on what we spent on this Amana!
Date created: 2018-07-12 Name: Glenn
Location: Colorado

"Love Amana"
The actual Amana product has been great for us in 2 different homes for over 25 years, our modulating heat pump saves us $2,000 a year in LP gas and has never had an ounce of trouble and is the quietest, most comfortable system we have had. A bad install will ruin any brand and cause misery. Properly installed and sized, they are great products. Get referrals on the installers and make sure it isn't one with the Amana Distinctions label on it. They are not the same at all, even though your builder and an Amana Distinction dealer will tell you they are.
Date created: 2018-03-19 Name: James Ewen
Location: Louisville, KY

"Amana Heat Pump Nightmare!"
Unfortunately my neighbors have an Amana heat pump. It is about 6 years old. It is really loud! It makes a high pitched noise like a saw mill! It is so loud I am constantly awakened and unable to sleep. I have run a fan in my bedroom for a year to drown out the noise but now it is so loud I have to wear egg plugs also to sleep and I can still hear the dam thing! I am afraid to complain for fear of starting a neighborhood feud and have then have them harass me and vandalize my property. Two HVAC men have told me Amana heat pumps are junk! Amana nightmare!
Date created: 2017-09-21 Name: R Steeves

"Stand behind your product"
The condenser failed in the eighth year. The compressor failed just before the 10 year warranty expired. However, the warranty was not honored because apparently Goodman must receive the faulty part before the warranty expires. So lost over $1000 due to a technicality.
Date created: 2017-06-19 Name: Rich
Location: Fort Worth, TX

"AMANA = UNRELIABLE"
Bought a new Amana heat pump system in 2008. Work fine and kept the house cooled down to 74 deg effortlessly for the first three years. System failed on us (shutdown). Tech found a component had totally disintegrated (blown up. Had difficulty with Warranty took three days to get component in hand. Less than one year later same story with another electrical component. Again, after 1 1/2 years later same story with component failure and difficulty warranty. Now into my 8 1/2 years systems shuts down. System is depleted of freon. Both the evap coils and the the copper piston mechanism that switches from cooling to heats are leaking. I am now on my 10 day in near 100 deg temp without any ac. Now starting to look to see if there are any outstanding lemon laws or state action law suits against this company. Cannot recommend Amana (or Goodman an Amana subsidiary)
Date created: 2017-03-02 Name: E. P.
Location: Kirkland, QC, Canada

"Unreliable compressor warranty"
Our heat pump comes with lifetime warranty on the compressor. To get a replacement compressor, you have to hire an Amana certified technician, who charges over $1,500 to replace the compressor. You also get a lot of run around to obtain answers. Conclusion: do not rely on the lifetime compressor replacement warranty. It is too costly to just replace the compressor. Our unit lasted 10.5 years. After reading all the other reviews, we consider ourselves lucky that we didn't have to deal with Amana/Goodman repair people earlier!!! We seem to have been among the relatively lucky customers. We will not buy another Amana/Goodman product again due to the poor warranty experience we had and those we read on this site.
Date created: 2017-01-17 Name: John Reynolds
Location: Greer, SC

"Stay away"
Unit will be five {5} years old Jan. 31, 2017. Since the summer of 2016 it has broken down twice and cost us over $1000.00 Every repairman we have had agrees it is a piece of junk. One repair it had to be completely disassembled and put back together.
Date created: 2017-01-03 Name: Jimmy Williams
Location: Ooltewah, TN

"Owner"
The worst piece of junk you can buy. I had coil leakage problems from day one. Replaced, but the coil still leaked. After 8 years the compressor burned up and although there was a 10 years parts warranty Goodman refused to honor it.
Date created: 2016-09-16 Name: Diana Roysdon
Location: Tennessee

"A POS unit. AC works--heat does not. No one can fix."
I will never buy this brand again.